Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Grimsbys Magnay Focus On Just Us

FF News

"FORGET what everyone else is doing and focus on Grimsby Town."

That's the message from Carl Magnay after results elsewhere meant that Saturday's defeat to Bristol Rovers wasn't as damaging as it might have been.

Defeats for Barnet and Eastleigh – and draws for Forest Green, Macclesfield and Woking – saw Town retain their fourth-place spot and a five-point advantage over Eastleigh in sixth.

But Magnay believes too much notice is taken of what other teams are doing in the race for promotion and the 26-year-old wants that to change.

Grimsby Town have hit their quota of defeats & can't afford any slip-ups, says defender Carl Magnay
"I take it upon myself to not look at the table," he said, "I take no notice of what other teams are doing and I solely try to focus on Grimsby Town.

"I think it can be a problem to be honest.

"Some lads are coming in and they're on the phones, looking at the fixture lists and seeing who are playing who and what results are coming in – it doesn't concern me, all that matters is what we're doing and how we can be better.

He added: "It's difficult to pin-point why we're lurching from really good performances to poor ones, like Saturday, at the minute.

"The only thing I can think of is that as the end of the season gets nearer and games become that bit more important, the pressure builds and the lads are reacting to that.

"We've just got to work harder in training on keeping the ball and being more effective in possession."

On Saturday's defeat to Rovers, the former Chelsea man continued: "It was similar to Forest Green last weekend because, like down there, we gave the winner away in the later stages.

"I think we just need to manage games better, there was a period before we conceded that we were just giving possession away.

"We had a lot of energy – particularly the first half – but then there was that period after half-time where the pressure looked to be too much to bear for some – we've got to be mentally stronger and not go too gung-ho too early."

Read more: http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk

Source

Archived