Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Former manager Sullivan feels he let Albion down

FF News

Tony Sullivan has spoken of the regret he feels at letting down Witton Albion's fans and chairman Mark Harris following the club's relegation from the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League's top flight.

Sullivan stood down on Saturday minutes after the 3-2 Premier Division defeat at Stamford that sent his side down. The 40-year-old former Cammell Laird manager took over at Wincham Park in October as the successor to Anthony Sheehan who quit following a sequence of four successive league defeats and an FA Cup exit at lower-ranked Runcorn Town.

In an interview with the Northwich Guardian, Sullivan said he told the club's chairman that he wanted to resign while the pair stood pitch-side at the Zeeco Stadium. Sullivan said: “I’ve let Mark down. I gave my all, and it wasn’t good enough. That’s it. I can’t blame the players, nor make excuses about injuries. I’m not going to point a finger at anything. “I take full responsibility for Witton Albion being relegated.

Why? Because I was in charge of the team. We were 2-0 up, and cruising. Stamford weren’t in the game at all. Everything had gone perfectly, and according to plan but conceding a penalty turned the game.

"That’s the story of my time here; how many times has one incident changed the course of a match? Now, on my CV, it will say I got this club relegated. Circumstances at different stages of the season haven’t helped, but that’s neither here nor there now."

Source

Archived