Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 2 Spelly 1

Swifty

An unconvincing victory but, if we can win games like this, that stands us in good stead.

A draw would probably have been fairer against a Spelthorne Sports team who showed some nice interplay and speed but lacked that cutting edge, though that may well have been down to our determined defending. We seemed to give Spelly a bit too much respect, room and time, playing deeper than probably necessary, and we needed a bit more authority in midfield - on that subject, good to see Conor playing again after that horror injury last season. We certainly missed Bayley's trickery in the middle.

Apologies to the lads if the cheers for the first goal were muted - those of us in the Tangerine Terrace thought Bitz's 24th minute shot had gone into the side netting when, apparently, it had gone through the keeper's hands at his near post. Spelly got back into the game when Jake Hicks lashed home a corner scramble high into the net in the 40th minute, and the timing of our second goal was crucial, three minutes after the break from a Fleminho header which seemed to get a slight nick off the Spelly defender jumping with him. No matter, they all count.

Not all gloom and doom, I should point out. The lads stuck to their task, gave a better display after the break, could have scored more when the game opened up towards the end, Scott Elgar's through balls never cease to please, and I thought Joe "Pop" Robson had a fine game in particular.

Fair report Swifty,I thought the defence looked solid last night with the new guy from Chertsey putting in a fine performance(all these new faces and names to get used to).

Sammad as right back was an inspired choice and he did not look out of place.

For me the mid field lacked leadership and drive,Tom Brunton was playing well but he can't do it alone,where were his mid field team mates?

I read that Scot Weight is back,is he injured? He is just the type of player Ashford need in mid field to give it huge boost.

Had a look at the league table, is that right? Cove rooted at the bottom,some changes gone on there.

Archived