Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The unwritten rule.

Steph

I remember the days when there was no unwritten rule that when a player goes down injured and the ref stops the game for the injured player to receive treatment the consequent dropped ball was not given to one team to kick off/back to goalkeeper so that the game can restart.

Yesterday Andy raised the point that one day a player is going to score a goal from one of these situations perhaps when an FA cup final place depends on it or last minutes of the last game of the season and a player knows his team has to win in order to avoid relegation.

Yesterday a Sawbo man was down injured and I saw the ref gesture to the Sawbo goalie to kick it off so the player can receive treatment. At the restart the Town throw put the ball off for a goal kick. This is all nonsense. Apart from a head injury or clearly a major injury, broken leg etc. Play should continue until the ref stops it. At the following drop ball any player should be allowed to challenge for it. This ensures that the game continues to flow without unnecessary prolonged breaks in play.

Yesterday a Sawbo player was injured around a yard from the touch line eventually the ref ordered him off but why was he not ordered off as soon as play stopped. It was not a serious injury the player was obviously mobile.

Thought I would get that off my chest as well.