Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Terry McFlynn...

JohnKirby

Found this to accompany it

McFlynn departs for new life Down Under

Terry McFlynn is beginning a new life in Australia after Morecambe agreed to tear up his contract.

Northern Ireland international McFlynn, signed for £14,000 from Margate in November 2003, said his goodbyes following Saturday's crucial

2-1 victory over Halifax Town.

McFlynn said: "I've leaving Morecambe and I want to go on amicable terms, so I'm not saying anything about the circumstances of me going.

"I'm going to Australia to get married and I hope to make a fresh start there."

McFlynn arrived at Christie Park hot on the heels of Adriano Rigoglioso's switch to Doncaster Rovers 15 months ago, and made an instant impact, scoring on his Morecambe debut against Stevenage Borough.

But despite landing Northern Ireland international honours, where Morecambe boss Jim Harvey had spotted his obvious potential in the under-21 squad, McFlynn, one of Christie Park's top earners, could not force his way into the frame on a regular basis.

This season, despite Morecambe struggling badly with injuries in the first half of the campaign, McFlynn's appearances were mainly limited to the bench and Harvey had clearly lost patience with the 23-year-old when he was transfer-listed last month.

Harvey said: "Terry is a boy with tremendous ability but he has struggled to find it match by match for Morecambe.

"Then Michael Twiss coming here last summer has limited his opportunities further, so I don't want him hanging about here wasting his talent because he is too good a footballer not to be playing.

"If Terry was 18 or 19 then maybe we could wait for him him to develop and improve, but he is 24 next month and needs to kick on now.

"We've come to an agreement over his contract and I just wish him the best of luck."

With the clock ticking towards this weekend's eagerly awaited FA Trophy clash at neighbours Lancaster City, Harvey will want to avoid any fresh injuries in tonight's Lancashire Marsden Trophy quarter-final tie against Accrington Stanley at Christie Park.

Morecambe's hard-fought success against Halifax saw the Shrimps close the gap on the Conference play-off pack to a couple points and Harvey added: "Our number one priority this season is a place in the play-offs, but we having a nice run in the cup competitions and that's an obvious bonus.

"We dug deep for the win against Halifax and the boys were patient against very awkward

opposition."

Stanley have struggled for form in the Conference this season, but former Shrimps favourite John Coleman is looking forward to a repeat of last year's final and admits that a trip to Christie Park is always special for him.

Coleman said:"It is my old club and, after last year when they beat us, we want to put one over on them for that.

"And I played for Jim Harvey so it adds more spice for me."

* Morecambe have rearranged their Conference clash against Hereford United at Christie Park for Tuesday, March 22.

* Morecambe have been allocated 150 tickets for the main stand at Giant Axe for Saturday's FA Trophy game which is expected to attract City's biggest crowd since the clubs met in the competition two years ago.

The Shrimps won 1-0 thanks to a Lee Elam goal in front a crowd of almost 2,400.

Tickets are priced at £10 and will go on sale to season ticket holders from 6pm this evening before the Accrington tie.

If any tickets are left, they will go on open sale from Thursday lunchtime at 1pm.

Entrance to all the other parts of the ground (terracing) is £8 for adults and £5 for concessions with spectators able to pay on the day.

01 February 2005

good luck to Terry McFlynn down under shame as he could of been a great player if he only worked

harder on the pitch at times.

Mind u saying that would have him back at the drop of a hat.