Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Quiet Word

Doris Wanderer

I think the first thing that needs looking at is fitness levels, how many games have we been completely over-run in the second-half now?

Last night we were down to bare bones and had yet another player stretchered off so the injury list certainly isn't helping, but my biggest gripe so far is the lack of discipline amongst so-called senior players which leaves us without three players for this Saturday due to suspensions.

Dominic White is allowed to leave the club and is Man of the Match in just about every game at Maidenhead who play in a division above us yet we keep persevering with players who, to be polite, are perhaps past their best.

There are perhaps 5 or 6 in the squad that are just not good enough but they will feature regularly while the old ones recover [slowly] from injury, thus leaving us weakened every week!

I believe Dave can be a good manager but I also believe he needs to be stronger-willed and honest with himself and start to realise that the so-called quality players are the ones that, ultimately, could get him the sack!

What we need now is a proven goalscorer who can stay on the pitch and that was proved last night. Had we taken just some of the chances created in the first half we would have won comfortably. I wasn't very happy about the legality of Wealdstone's first couple of goals last night but what was noticeable was that those goals [and the 3rd] all came from set-pieces where we hadn't picked up players quickly enough so you also have to question what happens on training nights. I've been at the club on nights where there are more people in the treatment room and bar than are actually training so, once again, strong management, discipline and honesty have to be questioned.

Whilst the board have never been like some clubs where they sack managers every 5 minutes, I'm sure Peter & Kevin will already have expressed their views to Dave with regards to where our season is going and I believe that this will mean either a change in some of the playing staff or, ultimately, a change in management if no progress is made.

Panic is the wrong word to use but sensible planning is essential before we're too far off the pack to catch up - the silly thing is that it's still possible to make the playoffs despite our poor start!