Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Where was it?

Cookie

On Radio Kent Saturday night I heard that a referee SOMEWHERE had to stop the game(or maybe before the start of the match)& re-measure the penalty area as he wasnt happy about the measurements. Seems he was correct & that another penalty area had to be marked out in a different colour to that of the usual white. Just wanted to read about it thats all. I have looked for it but still cant find it. Maybe someone out there heard this too & could point me to the incident & the game in question.Must have been a Kent Club surely.Cheers.

This was Chelmsford v Maidstone. Maidstone keeper Pat Mullin noticed the penalty spot seemed too close when he was warming up.

Ref and groundsman measured it and found it was about nine yards out! Match delayed by 15 minutes to paint a new penalty box and spot. Of course the irony is Chelmsford missed a penalty at that end in the final minute!

I wonder how long the spot had been in that place!

Thanks C.E. I got it wrong then as I thought it was the Penalty area that was remarked & not just the Spot. 9 yards out? Blimey! Must have been really OBVIOUS then! Going for a look now. Thanks again C.E.

[color:"blue"]From the report on Radio Kent the Keeper noticed the spot was too close, the Manager reported it to the Ref, the Ref had the area & the spot remarked (both ends too). So both of you were right.

Reports say ONE yard out, but whatever the yardage

it was a good spot by our ex Pat Mullin.Did the trick & put them off too.

An embarrassment to the Chelmsford club though.As they say how many games have gone by with the incorrect yardage.I'll have to see how many penalties(if any) have been taken at their gaff this year just out of interest.Good result for the Stones.

I should think that referees that have officiated there previously will be slightly embarrassed at this too.They should check these things out PRIOR to the commencement of the match but to be fair to them no-one expects the measurements to be wrong in the first place do they & I am sure that referees have just assumed the markings to be correct.Wrong to assume I know but in reality this is what they probably have done. No doubt there will be directives now to all refereees to watch out for these kind of things more so in the future & NOT to ASSUME.