Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

December 14th, 1935 - Our finest ever win?

JeremyJacobs

I understand, JJ, that the result caused a great amount of anguish among the denizens of the Football Association.

Margate was known to be the nursury side of Arsenal FC, and other non-league clubs had similar arrngements with some of the bigger clubs of the day.

Margate had knocked out QPR and Palace! So it was on to Round three and the entry of the bigger clubs. But there was disquiet among the FA's folk! What if.......Arsenal were to play Margate, the nursury Club for Arsenal? Surely the nursury Club would simply allow their illustrious parent Club to win!

They awaited the draw and were relieved when Margate were drawn to play at Blackpool. But the FA never forgot the scenario and subsequently banned nursury Clubs from the competition.

Blackpool triumphed 3-1 and it wasn't until 1972/73 that the Club reached round 3 again!

Abdullah well I never!

Just thought that I would cut and paste the thread that I posted under "My Favourite MFC -XI", from a few days back

How about the team that beat Crystal Palace on 14th December 1935 FA Cup Round 2.

1. Preedy

2. Millar

3. Walker

4. Evans

5. Tuckett

6. McFarlane

7. Robbie

8. Farr

9. Davie

10.Lambert

11.Clare

Palace scored first but Evans hit a hat-trick!