Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Bedford FC

Just wondered what peoples opinions were of Bedford FC (old Bedford United) this season.

After last nights win they have a game in hand on 3 of the 4 above to go level on points with the current leader although Hoddesdon have a couple in hand.

Lost a couple on the bounce until last night but scored 3 in the last 15 minutes to take all the points and get the season back on track.

Just wondered if people see them as contenders and wondered who had seen them play this year ?

It seems to me that you always start of really well and then drop. Last season, for the first 8 games or so, you were really good with Jason Layne playing well and I think, were top of the league. This season, same pattern. Is it becasue you lose players or is it that other teams get used to you? I have to agree with x-man, the front two are class players.

Bedford are a good club, good ground and a decent set of lads, even the gobby one, is it Luigi Rocco? Passionate, I'd call him.

Originally Posted By: BedfordSub
Just wondered what peoples opinions were of Bedford FC (old Bedford United) this season.

To be perfectly honest we weren't impressed with Bedford when we played at McMullen Park on 18 August (see report) and I can't see them being in the shake up come April time, they blow far too hot and cold:

Saturday 18th August 2007
Spartan South Midlands League Division 1
Bedford 1 Kentish Town 0

Town travelled to Bedfordshire for their third league match in seven days trying to build on a fine 2-1 midweek victory at
Harpenden Town in order to close the gap at the top of the table.
The home side started brightly with a strong wind at their backs making life difficult for Town's defenders to deal with.
Town soaked up the pressure from the home attack and were by no means under pressure and on 19 minutes Stevie Nicolaou headed just wide from 8 yards from a fine cross from the left wing. On the 26 minute mark Alexie Nicolaou had a half chance to open the scoring from a Jonathan Donoghue cross and on 30 minutes Alexie Nicolaou spun his marker well to break clear, only for the linesman to give a harsh decision against him for an alleged push.
Alexie Nicolaou was guilty of missing the best chance of the half to open the scoring after being played in by a defence
splitting pass from Ossie Barkat only to fire straight at the keeper.
So honours were shared after the opening forty five minutes of an evenly matched contest in difficult conditions.
The second period started very much the same as the first but this time Town had the wind in their favour and soaked up all Bedford's attacking threat. Town's downfall came on 59 minutes after they conceded a free kick some 35 yards out and a perfectly flighted ball was delivered to the far post for Chris Huckle to stretch unchallenged and fire the ball into the top right hand corner to give the home side the lead, this was Huckle's last contribution to the game as he injured himself in the process.
Town made changes with Sharrif Sufi coming on for Stevie Nicolaou and Anthony Dowsett replacing Alexie Nicolaou, both players settled nicely into their side and Town continued to press for a goal to draw them level.
Sufi was guilty of some poor finishing when a cool head was called for and Paul Butler forced a fine save from the home keeper from a Town free kick on the left. A hamstring injury to Barkat saw the late introduction of Paul Williamson but time sadly ran out for Town to level the proceedings.
Afterwards Town Manager Frank Zanre said "we deserved a point at least, we grew stronger the more the game went on" he added "we were guilty of ball watching from the free kick and leaving the man totally unmarked at the back post", " we will
bounce back but its disappointing that our two defeats so far have been by the odd goal when we created a lot of chances and haven't been outplayed".

Town Team: N McDaid, R Dhall, O Barkat, D Dawson, A Onuoha, P Butler, K Fofana, A Nicolaou, J Donoghue, S Nicolaou, C Zanre
Subs: A Dowsett, S Sufi, P Williamson

Originally Posted By: Wader
I think you'll find that Rocco has just taken the St Neots big shillings.

Do you mean I will not have to play against him again? smile

Bedford played him out on the right against us the other week but he is much more effective down the middle. We played them 4 times last year and I had the job of containing him.

This included blood, tears, new shirt, new shorts and multiple bookings but resulted in 2 wins, 1 draw and only 1 defeat in a penalty shoot out.

Job well done!

Someone from Bedford might be interested in the match report from their game at New Bradwell St Peter on Saturday 20 October from New Bradwell's Website, the 1-0 defeat proves my point about blowing hot and cold:

A last minute header from Brendan Quill won the game for Bradwell when a draw seemed inevitable. His header from Greg Tite's corner was enough to seperate the sides in a battling display from the Peters.

We started well and almost scored when Micky Downards centre was headed onto the inside of the post by Greg Tite. The ball rebounded into the arms of the keeper. Another great move involving Wheatley, Long and Tite almost earned us a goal but it wasn't to be.

Bedford then came back at us and nearly took the lead through Jason Layne. His shot was brilliantly saved by Tom Kennard in the home goal. Layne was again denied when put through on goal by Randall. This time Kennard denied him in a one on one situation.

Bradwell piled on the pressure in the closing minutes of the first half and could have scored a couple of times. Martyn Lee and Greg Tite were denied when in good positions.

The second half was also a close, tense affair with both sides attempting to win the game. Bedford were denied a penalty when Brendan Quill won a tackle which sent Layne sprawling, leaving the striker to require treatment.

Bradwell then started to push the visitors back and should have scored a couple of goals. Mike Downard and Greg Tite both had good chances to open the scoring.

Lea Coulter saw his 20-yard drive pushed on to the crossbar by the visiting keeper to deny Bradwell. Coulter drove at the heart of their defence and came in to his own as the sides tired.

With the game seemingly heading for a goalless draw, Bradwell won a corner through Darren Long's good work out of the right. Greg Tite's driven corner was met by Quill for his second goal in consecutive games. A late winner which moves Bradwell up a place in the league.

A good, battling performance against a decent side who have several Hitchin players in on loan. Bradwell just edged the game and pick up another three points.

Originally Posted By: x-man
Blow that trumpet South Mids Fan!!! I'll look out for you as you must be the most outstanding player in the league so should stand out!

You seriously think that is 'blowing my trumpet'

I was just saying that I am glad I will not have to 'go to battle' with him again.

Surely a forum such as this should include comments from players as well as spectators to give a more balanced view of things.

Once you cross that white line things seem a lot different to how they can be perceived on the sidelines.

There are quite a few players who contribute to this forum and their input/thoughts are always very welcome and interesting to read. You carry on southmidsfan. As you say the view from the other side of the white line is sometimes very different to what we terracehuggers perceive.

I played for Sun Sports last week against Bedford & wasn't overly impressed. Also saw them play at Tring in the Vase earlier in the season (when they were top of the league) and felt the same. Seemed to lack firepower up front and not the best at the back. They have always been a good club & have a nice ground (but it always seems to be windy there)

I agree southmidsfan - the two games listed above being great examples. I was at both, played in one and the reports would differ to any report I would have written !

That said they were by the opposition and you will always get bias I guess.

The Sun Sports result last week was Bedford's worst performance / result of the season. Admittedly players were missing (no doubt due to one of the longer away trips) but no team gets their first 11 out week after week and that shouldn't be an excuse.

Sun Sports took their chance and defended well against a second half onslaught - first time I have ever played as 1 of a back 2 !

[quote=southmidsfan I had the job of containing him.

This included blood, tears, new shirt, new shorts and multiple bookings but resulted in 2 wins, 1 draw and only 1 defeat in a penalty shoot out.

Job well done!

Suppose you could say you weren't blowing your own trumpet but then again maybe it has a tuba?!