Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Margate FC group on Facebook

JeremyJacobs

Any of you old buggers on here remember Tivoli Dyke, fishing for sticklebacks and sliding down the railway embankment on pieces of corrugated iron (dodging the trees was a little scary), until the transport police carted you off home with a rollicking for trespassing on railway property. Miserable gits. devil

The bridges you mention were part of what was affectionately known when I was a kid as the old line. This was part of the original Margate to Ramsgate line, at that time you could walk along it right up to the now Westwood Cross and I believe even further, but of course that would mean going into Ramsgate. devil

Quite right AB, this was the original line to what was then know as Margate West station. The bridge which runs behind Salmestone school was known as Frog Hill Bridge, which is now th name of the bridge that runs the trains on Tivoli Road. If you look on Live Search you can actully follow the old line down the back of Nash Road all the way to Ramsgate using hedge rows etc. Ok ok Iam going in to spotter mode now.....I dont work on the railway honest wink wink

Originally Posted By: AncientBlue

Unless this snippet from Wikipedia means something about it:
In August 2005, Margate returned to Hartsdown Park after three years in the wilderness.

Very humorous AB. Silly beggar you! laugh

What about Margate East Station, can still see the steps up to the platform at the bridge at the junction of Victoria Road, Queen's Avenue and Ramsgate Road. The station entrance was at the bottom of Setterfield Road. Now I'm getting into Anorak Mode. grin

Originally Posted By: AncientBlue
What about Margate East Station, can still see the steps up to the platform at the bridge at the junction of Victoria Road, Queen's Avenue and Ramsgate Road. The station entrance was at the bottom of Setterfield Road. Now I'm getting into Anorak Mode. grin

Arrrr,those wee the days eh? They don't make days like those anymore.Signing off..Anorak II.

Originally Posted By: djw

The bridges you mention were part of what was affectionately known when I was a kid as the old line. This was part of the original Margate to Ramsgate line, at that time you could walk along it right up to the now Westwood Cross and I believe even further, but of course that would mean going into Ramsgate. devil

Quite right AB, this was the original line to what was then know as Margate West station. The bridge which runs behind Salmestone school was known as Frog Hill Bridge, which is now th name of the bridge that runs the trains on Tivoli Road. wink wink

Frog Hill Bridge is so named because the hill running up from the bridge to St John's Church is Frog Hill.

I used to play down Tivoli Dykes, making bows and arrows and I remember catching a train from East Margate Station around 1949 when (I am pretty sure) Drapers Mills had a school outing to London Zoo.

And I also played in the Kent Amateur League for East Margate Rovers - not a lot of people know that (or probably even care!)

Nearly forgot, in the current Margate Historical Magazine there is a picture of the old East Margate Station together with a featured article.

Used to go down the dyke when a kid with my brothers. Nipping over the wall and through the trees before ending up to my knees in the water.

Walked up to the old rail line and along as far as the Nash Road bridge.

Also seating on tea trays to slide down the steep slopes at the bottom end of Tivoli Park.

Dad used the old Margate Rail station using the steps on Ramsgate Road when he caught the train to Chatham Dockyard

Life was so much more fun then than sitting in front of a computer today, then we made our own games up and did not rely on a computer chip and some geek in Japan