Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ware away

Mini Goose

I've raised the question about what is acceptable language before, and while we all agree a bit of banter is good, it is a question of scale and context.

I would say that "singing" "Who the F***** H**** are you" at one one man and a dog is a bit too much, and with such small crowds becomes personal, threatening and intimidating. As such I would suggest that agressive abuse should have no place at our club.

Secondly, abuse of the officials is part of the game. But to constantly scream "You F****** **nt!" at every decision, right or wrong, is pathetic, and unfortunately we do have a number of people who do this. I appreciate that the objective is to influence the referee but some times it goes too far and does discourage people from bringing children, and we could really do with as many new supporters as possible.

Good post applause and i agree with your comments. The language used on the terraces seems to be a point of debate at the moment...

TONBRIDGE ANGELS chairman Nick Sullivan has acted upon complaints from supporters and is bringing in the local Police force to patrol all their remaining home games this season - to prevent “mindless morons” using foul and abusive language at Longmead Stadium, writes Stephen McCartney.

Mr Sullivan read out one of “a dozen” letters that he has received from disgruntled supporters, highlighting the abuse that Horsham goalkeeper Paul Seuke received during the Ryman Premier League game between the two clubs on 26th December 2007.

And Mr Sullivan has warned fans that using the “F” and “C” words at the club will NOT be tolerated.

He said: “One letter amongst many I’ve received since Christmas.

“Football, sport, certain language is acceptable, heat of the moment but certain words are not.

“We as a club cannot receive letters, which are quite damning towards me as chairman - and the football club.

“We have made a decision as from the Margate game (9th February) there will be a police presence at all home games, that is to monitor the situation.

“We don’t want to knock the passion we get from supporters as it’s fantastic. The odd word is acceptable but this letter is about the Horsham game, where it was totally out of order!

“We (the board) have all spoken, the only way we can get round the situation is to get Police at games - at a cost to the football club.”

After reading out the letter, Mr Sullivan added: “I’ve written back to him, we can’t say sorry without doing anything.

“Our stewards cannot eject people from games, they’re not allowed. Police have powers and different rules.

“To protect the majority this is the only way we can deal with this matter.

“If Police eject people from the ground that person will be barred for the rest of the season - and next season.

“Rightly or wrongly there are certain words within sport that are known for being acceptable but there’s certain words that are not and what we don’t want, we don’t want to knock the atmosphere, which is very good at home.

“To get where we want to get we need people through the turnstiles.”

Sullivan, Garry Pass (vice-chairman), Tommy Warrilow (manager), Cliff Cant (assistant manager) and Charlie Cole (secretary) all answered questions at tonight’s meet the manager event, which lasted just over two-hours and was attended by at least sixty supporters.

Another form of abuse has been triggered on unofficial internet fans’ forums.

And vice-chairman Garry Pass has vowed to identify cyber-abusers and ban them from the club.

“We can identify most of the people who post,” he warned. “If it continues to get personal we will identify them and they won’t get entry.

“We will not have any negative (comments) - we are a family and when it gets personal, it’s not warranted.

“We know most of the people, we know there’s a few people sitting here tonight. If the abuse gets personal of any member of Tonbridge Angels they will get banned from the ground.”

While most are probably in agreement that excessive or consistent foul and abusive language is unacceptable, the problem is who sets the standard, and who then enforces it? What are the criteria to determine suitability of words used?

We've already witnessed legislation strangle the life out of top flight football (- its now a totally souless experience), is this the spark for regulation to govern the non-league game?

I for one hope not.

Very interesting read. Make somes very good points.

Did anyone from Canvey read yesterdays NLP, Stuart Hammonds who plays for Ware and writes a column had a go at the Edgware and Canvey fans for bad laungaue in recent matches.

"'At Edgware Town, our promotion rivals had 3 fans who generated a lot of noise and created some kind of atmosphere. But what asking our female physio - in chorus audible to every man, woman & child at the White Lion Ground - if she "takes it up the a***" is doing to support their team, I don't know'

He then goes on to say why did the Canvey fans shout w anker over and over and that a fan ran to the touchline and kicked a plastic bin up in the air whilst hurling abuse at the referee!

So this is the same ware that were silent at the recent match with Edgware and whose fans stood crossarmed in silence at home to Canvey!

Tossers, at least Canvey and Edgware fans show some passion for their team.

All this family club rubbish from ware fans! EVERY club is a family club, ware are the most hypercritical fans in the league!!!