Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 25-November 17 )

• Photo
    carbs

• Photo
    AlexT

• Photo
    Boney Crisp

• Photo
    britwell

• Photo
    David Drewett

• Photo
    Blue Square Budgie

• Photo
    ebfc1

• Photo
    BBBG

Photo

Charlton Heston - RIP

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
30 replies to this topic

offline Rhodes

Rhodes
  • Vice-President
  • Supports: Haringey Borough FC
  • Fav. Player(s): Obviously Lee Scott
  • Fav. Sport(s): Football, Golf
Very sad news this morning, one of the greatest actors of all time has sadly left us:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000032/

offline Greg_Dyke

Greg_Dyke
  • Youth Team Coach
who's gonna be brave enough to prise the gun, from his cold, dead hands ?

offline American FLEET FAN No1

American FLEET FAN No1
  • Youth Team Coach
More's the pity that of late, he will be remembered more for being President of the National Rifle Association, and not his acting!

offline Rhodes

Rhodes
  • Vice-President
I think not, I had no idea until today that he was when finding out on the news. My main memory of him was in the Ten Commandments playing Moses and, in particular, the parting of the Red Sea scene.

offline AncientBlue

AncientBlue
  • National Squad - 1st XI
  • Supports: Margate
Originally Posted By: Greg_Dyke

Spot on Greg!

offline Greg_Dyke

Greg_Dyke
  • Youth Team Coach
I'll remember him for being a big monkey spanker, in Planet of the Apes.....which I believe was filmed in Modern Day Harlow

offline Rhodes

Rhodes
  • Vice-President

Greg Dyke - You certainly know your stuff and I'm impressed but why are people suddenly knocking the great man for his stance on guns, why not remember him for being one of the greatest ever film stars there was to walk the planet. The Daily Mail had a nice article today which ended with the following statement from his family, he had been married for 63 years and leaves two children and two grandchildren:
'To his loving friends, colleagues and fans, we appreciate your heartfelt prayers and support. Charlton Heston was seen by the World as larger than life. No one could ask for a fuller life than his, no man could have given more to his family, to his profession and to his Country'.

offline Eastside Urchin

Eastside Urchin
  • President Elect
  • rank
  • Supports: AFC Hornchurch
  • Foes: Romford
i didn't know about the gun presidency.I must say that although he was a great actor this news is somewhat clouded for me due to the fact of his involvment in guns.RIP

American FLEET FAN No1
  • Youth Team Coach
Charlton Heston and the NRA,and some of his more radical Ideas!

Story Here!

It is fine remembering his great acting, but it is criminal to forget his dangerous(IMO)shortcomings!

offline Rhodes

Rhodes
  • Vice-President
I don't think that American Fleet Fan No1 should have mentioned the gun issue as nobody would have been any the wiser and we could have just remembered Charlton Heston for his acting ability. Personally I don't have a problem with him being President of the National Rifle Association, I gather he had a collection of some 400 antique guns and often appeared at conventions holding a flintlock rifle above his head but so what.

American FLEET FAN No1
  • Youth Team Coach
You mean like Charlton Heston denied the Holocaust?
You can't deal with he truth?

offline Rhodes

Rhodes
  • Vice-President
What has the Holocaust got to do with anything. Of course I can deal with the truth but like I said so what if Charlton had a thing about guns, it's not that he made a habit of going into School's and College Campus's and gunning down kids and students left right and centre.

offline Greg_Dyke

Greg_Dyke
  • Youth Team Coach
Originally Posted By: Rhodes
I don't think that American Fleet Fan No1 should have mentioned the gun issue as nobody would have been any the wiser and we could have just remembered Charlton Heston for his acting ability. Personally I don't have a problem with him being President of the National Rifle Association, I gather he had a collection of some 400 antique guns and often appeared at conventions holding a flintlock rifle above his head but so what.

Rhodes,

Your first sentence is like saying, Hitler was a nice man, except for the fact he was a genocidal megalomanic.

Charlton Heston was a great actor, but you cannot get away from the fact that he had some weird views.

American FLEET FAN No1
  • Youth Team Coach
Acting is make believe, his statements are real life. That is what somebody should be remembered for!

offline Rhodes

Rhodes
  • Vice-President
He's currently lying on a slab awaiting his funeral, why can't we just remember him for his acting. Okay he liked guns but so what, he once commented to Bill Clinton "America doesn't trust you with our 21 year old daughters and we sure don't trust you with our guns", I have to say I made him spot on!

offline Greg_Dyke

Greg_Dyke
  • Youth Team Coach
He's currently lying on a slab awaiting his funeral, why can't we just remember him for his acting. Okay he liked guns but so what, he once commented to Bill Clinton "America doesn't trust you with our 21 year old daughters and we sure don't trust you with our guns", I have to say I made him spot on!

Charlton Heston had not read Anne Frank's diary FACT !

offline Coffin Ender

Coffin Ender
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
"You cannot get away from the fact that he had some weird views."

So do you, Greg.

offline Greg_Dyke

Greg_Dyke
  • Youth Team Coach
but Brentford are the best team the world have ever seen bolt

offline Uncle Urchin

Uncle Urchin
  • Long Service Award

Rhodes,

Your first sentence is like saying, Hitler was a nice man, except for the fact he was a genocidal megalomanic.

Charlton Heston was a great actor, but you cannot get away from the fact that he had some weird views.

thats bollox greg...there is a constitutional right in americe to bear arms and he was a fierce protecter of that and the other parts of the constitution...he was in fact a patriot of the flag he was born under....hardly to be compared with genocidal meglomaniacs/dictators..

its a fckn pity we haven't got the right to bear arms here as if we had we could start shooting some of the filth poluting our streets and our society... gotcha1

offline Greg_Dyke

Greg_Dyke
  • Youth Team Coach
Guns are the second leading cause of traumatic death in the United States and are the second most frequent cause of death overall for Americans ages 15 to 24.

Since 1960, more than a million Americans have died in firearm suicides, homicides, and unintentional injuries.

In 2003, 30,136 Americans died by gunfire: 16,907 in firearm suicides, 11,920 in firearm homicides, 730 in unintentional shootings, and 232 in firearm deaths of unknown intent.

Nearly three times that number are treated in emergency rooms each year for nonfatal firearm injuries.

I wouldn't want that burden to fall on the already creakinbg NHS or want that set of statistics for the USA.

Anyway, backtracking from my earlier comments, I did not want to go overboard on hammering the great actor....he has been in some of my favourite films...and was suffering from Alzhimers for the last 8-10 years of his life. He never should have been made spokesman for the NRA....

RIP Charlton Heston

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus