Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Spelthorne 0 Ashford 3

smoking-gun

First let me say well done to Ashford for a good team performance,Spelthorne hardly got a sight of Ashford's goal let alone have a shot at it.A well taken goal by Jack Beadle opened the scoring with his trade mark cutting across the defender and firing into the far corner.

A few minutes into the 2nd half Ashford had a corner,in came the ball and Russ Canderton managed to get his boot to it and it was now 2 - 0.For Ashford's 3rd I am not sure who got the goal, to me it looked as if Will Boyd got his head to it, but it could just as easily been Russ.

At the end Spelthorne came off the pitch looking what they were,a well beaten and demoralized team.

Now this my sound daft to have a moan after such a good show by Ashford but can anybody tell me why Max Webb, Sammad Khazi and for awhile Mark Bitmead are being left on the bench and only come onto the pitch with 10 or so minutes left and then expect them to turn it on and change the game? That rarely happens and is unfair to the players concerned.

I like to see Ashford field it's strongest team when ever possible,and for me the players on in place of the above mentioned,are not as good and I fear if Ben Murray continues with this practice these players will get fed up and move on.

Russell scored twice.

As for team selection, why shouldn't the manager use all of the squad? It's his decision to make, nobody else's. We all have our own opinion on who should and shouldn't be starting, but I don't think it's appropriate that it be discussed on a public forum.

I was a bit disappointed with the referee yesterday. He was willing to book some of our players, but seemed reluctant to do the same with the home side. Just two incidents that come to mind from the first half was a blatant push in the back on Bradley and Connor Moody holding onto a players foot to stop a break away.

Also why did he blow up for full time when Scott Elgar was breaking clean through (although some distance) on goal?

Regarding team selection, it wouldn't surprise me if Ben was 'keeping his powder dry' for next Saturday, when we play Horley Town. In my estimation, they're one of five teams in contention for the title, and they've got a striker in Ashley Neispavan who I think really should be playing at a higher level with his goal exploits.

It's telling that three of the four league games we've lost this season have been against teams next to us at the top of the table. We can't afford that to happen again next Saturday. Having said that, a belting start to the season for our lads - well done, all.

I fancied a spot of 'hopping' yesterday and, as I approached the Crooked Billet roundabout, a car went past with the registration number PUR5E. The driver was former Football League stalwart Darren Purse, on his way to Staines Town. I was tempted to find the car and change the "P" to a "B" to make it look like it was Ian's car!

It looks to me as if Ben is rotating the squad to give players game time. Last year we lost players because they weren't getting a look in.

We as fans rarely know the real reasons for team selection and just because a good player is on the bench doesn't mean he is out of favour. There are umpteen reasons why. We have a good squad and the lads are playing for each other. Why would you want to rock the boat just because your favourite is not playing 90 minutes week in week out? When we are in the deepest of winter on some shocking pitches our lads will have plenty in the tank because they haven't been made to slog through game after game.

Let's let the manager decide what team he fields!

Up the tangerine dream!

No complaints from me about player selection as the entire team from Tyler through to Brad were at the top of their game. The best performance of the season especially in the first half in the face of a strong wind and slope and after 20 mins started to dominate the match. In the second half there was only one team in it.

I thought the ref did well, Brad and Will deserved to be booked and I prefer to be positive that we are fortunate to have 3 top subs in Samad, Max and Scott.

It is a long season and important to have a strong squad.

Well done everyone.

Bits is not long back from injury so I imagine Ben doesn't want to to rush things.....

Archived