Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 17-December 17 )

• Photo
    dave c

• Photo
    LeagueSecretary

• Photo
    Teflon

• Photo
    Katrina1979

• Photo
    Max

• Photo
    BlueAndWhiteArmy

Photo

Pop Idol Stardom for Non-League Footballers

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
7 replies to this topic

offline JimGNFC

JimGNFC
  • First XI - Weekly Contract
From todays Daily Mail (P77):

"Portsmouth are banking on a Pop-Idol style scheme to unearth a new star.

Over the next few months, thousands of non-league footballers will be invited by Sky TV to take part in a series of nationwide five-a-side trials.

The winner will be offered a £1000-a-week professional contract at Fratton Park next season.

Club Chief Executive Peter Storrie said last night "We think its a great idea. Its unique and you never know, we may get a big surprise."

Presumably many of G&N players will get an invite?

offline fat fleet bloke

fat fleet bloke
  • Onlooker
didn't nigel spink try something like this we he was at forest green rovers?

offline Jimmy

Jimmy
  • First XI - Permanent
  • rank
Steve Watts at Dagenham won a similar competition run by "The Sun" where he won a contract at Orient.

Perhaps this is something the club could consider doing during the close season for a weekend or so. They have nothing to lose and may unearth a good player.

offline Richard C

Richard C
  • Reserves Coach
Seen a few good players in the sunday league and kent league that could! and i mean could play at conf level. Currently play with an ex fleet player of a few years ago.... the talent is out there.......

offline James

James
  • First XI - Sub's Bench
Sorry shouldnt the management team be doing this anyway we always uesd to attract local talent

offline Stu B

Stu B
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
Didn't Andy find Danny Lye in a sunday league?

offline MHL

MHL
  • First XI - Sub's Bench
I don't have much knowledge of the GNFC Squad, but we have a hugh number of Local League sides in this area, so maybe we could pick a budding star from a Local Side?
I'm woeful but on the few occasions I've pulled on the Boots I've come up against some quality players among the Local Sides.

offline mikef

mikef
  • Reserves
Unfortunately the youth management of G&N aren't really interested in players from local league sides, they would rather bring in a complete side from the Maidstone League even when they couldn't win against the existing lads. Hopefully this attitude doesn't go all the way to the top.

Mike F

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus