Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

New boys vow to fight on

DorkingDave

Dec 13 2007

By David Groves

SATURDAY'S major Meadowbank clash against Sandhurst Town could be pivotal to Dorking's season according to two of the Chicks' new signings.

Alex Hill and Terry Fennessey, who both joined from Ryman League division one south high-fliers Whyteleafe, are backing Tony Webb's basement boys to arrest a wretched recent run of six successive defeats and start climbing the table at long last, starting this weekend.

Second from bottom Sandhurst have an even worse defensive record than their hosts and Dorking know only too well that they must win this vital Combined Counties League premier division tussle to begin turning around their dreadful start.

Left-back Hill, 23, a former Fulham schoolboy triallist, who works as a builder, is aiming to install rather stronger foundations for a previously leaking Chicks defence.

The ex-Leafe fringe player said: "The new players will change things at Dorking and we believe that we can make things better for the club. Saturday is a six-pointer for us and who knows what will happen if we beat Sandhurst?

"That victory could gradually see us climbing the table and our next three games are all sixpointers. If we win all those matches then that could put us fourth or fifth from bottom of the table and put the whole club on a high."

Left-winger Fennessey, 22, said: "We have arrived at the club to help Dorking get out of trouble and we hope to nick a win against Sandhurst on my debut. Obviously, we know that we are not favourites to win our matches but we need to turn these games into wins and then aim to pull off a surprise result at the leaders Merstham a little later on and take things from there."

Having been joined by another new arrival, centre-back Roy Newman, from Whyteleafe, boss Webb may have devised a clever strategy to ensure that all of his players are on the same wave-length for their survival push.

And it is clear that Webb, who guided Hill and Fennessey as Walton & Hersham reserve team players several seasons ago, was a major influence in convincing both young men to throw in their lot with Whyteleafe's promising side to ensure regular first team football in their new surroundings.

Hill said: "I have known Webby for a long time and I respect him as a good man manager and someone who you can talk to.You certainly do not feel afraid to chat to him anyway and he is a genuine guy,with a good standard of coaching at the club. And the atmosphere definitely seems better than a month ago when I joined Dorking."

Fennessey, a steel fixer, echoed his long time friend's admiration of the Chicks boss, having given up a first team place with Whyteleafe to take up his new challenge.He said: "The manager has a good understanding of play-ers and earns their respect but is not a man to beat about the bush when he talks to you.

"I knew Webby from a few years ago and I was unhappy at Whyteleafe and realised that it was time to leave them.

"I am looking forward to playing regularly and helping out Webby and I am not too fussy where I play in the first team although I will be hoping that I can offer something different to the side with my pace and delivery of the ball.

"Dorking seems like a good club and we need to get more fans to our matches to support us."

Fennessey pledged his loyalty to the Chicks for the remainder of the season and is looking forward to renewing his strong left-sided attacking partnership with Hill.

Fennessey said: "We have got a good understanding and playing in the same side as Alex improves my own game."

Both players, who emerged from Croydon Athletic's youth team, have recovered from respective injury setbacks and are determined to join fellow newcomer Newman in enabling crisis club Dorking to achieve lift-off at long last.

That's half a new side in the last few weeks.

Lets hope they can play a few games together and get some points on the board. getting ryman 1 players down can only help.

Enjoyed this quote

"Dorking seems like a good club and we need to get more fans to our matches to support us."

Perhaps he can ask junior why he thinks the support has left?

also saw this in the ad......

DORKING Wanderers are poised to become a major footballing force in the town, according to ex-Fulham midfielder Udo Onwere.

The 36-year-old, who made his debut for Wanderers on Saturday, believes the club have the potential to rise through the divisions in the next few years and wants to help them make it happen.

Onwere,who can count Lincoln City, Blackpool and Barnet among his former clubs,has signed for Wanderers after ending his professional football career to earn a living as a lawyer.

Would be interesting to know as to when the above interview took place. A certain Terry Fennessey made a promising debut for Croydon on Wednesday night in a Kent League Cup game!

Mind you, we were struggling for players, so it may have just been a one off appearance. We'll see where he turns up on Saturday!

No idea.

I'll find out tomorrow, assuming there isn't a harsh frost tonight that is !

Originally Posted By: thespursfan
oh come, come bjr Im sure you know if messrs Fennessy Hill and Newton have been signed along with che gustavo?

we needs to know please

I honestly don't know for sure TSF, not having seen R.C. or S.W. or P.A. to speak to because of the weather for nearly two weeks.

David Groves and Dan Jones of the Ad don't normally get their facts wrong.

I think it's a case of 'watch this space', and hope for fair weather. Forecast doesn't look TOO bad though.

fair enough bjr!

I guess if the chicks cant play noone knows who is really on board,players want to play, especially if they are on the comeback trail.

Thanks for the response, must still be a little damp in places?

The last thing the club needs is half a dozen games to win in May to stay up so I hope it's playable tomorrow.