Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Carl Couzens

It is with a great sadness that I read tonight in The Comet Newspaper, that Carl Couzens passed away last Saturday at the tender age of 36, following an asthma attack. Many of you will know Carl as a top quality Referee, who also served many referees associations and society's. I will remember Carl as a young referee, officiating for Junior Clubs in the Royston Crow league, explaining his decisions to the boys and girls and always with a smile on his face, something which he took on when he refereed later in his career at a much higher level. He had many, many friends partcularly around North Herts and he will sadly missed.

This is sad news. Carl always had a good sense of humour and was always a good person to be around. He didn't actually referee that many games that I was directly involved in but he would often be seen turning up at SSML games (often with Eric Harrison or Alan Banbury) to support and encourage other referees. It's a real shame he has passed away so early in life. R.I.P.

I and other Referees got an e-mail from Mr Ewen a few days ago regarding Carl. Although I never knew him, the response from my colleagues was that Carl was a much loved and respected Referee.

R.I.P.

That's very sad news. Carl refereed a few games for Hendon and we always knew that we were in for a quality refereeing performance when he was officiating. He clearly enjoyed refereeing, and always seemed to have the respect of managers and players. R.I.P.

Carl was certainly one of the best Referees, if not the best, I have encountered in the SSML and was an extemely friendly and approachable chap, this has come as a real shock.

RIP

Below is a tribute to Carl Couzens from the Flag & Whistle website.

It is with great sorrow that the Association has to announce the death of its Vice Chairman and Secretary, Carl Couzens. Carl, who hailed from Hitchin, was one of the brightest and best loved referees ever to emerge from the Spartan South Midlands League. He died from a severe asthma attack last Friday night after an evening out with a friend. He was just three weeks short of his 37th birthday.

Carl

There is a touching book of rememberence for Carl on the attached Website:

http://www.hertsad.co.uk/cs/forums/TopicsNotAnswered.aspx