Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

How many ESL Matches

Now that we know how many ESL teams there will be next season which gives us 30 league games plus a few more in the two league cups and a few FA Vase, FA Cup and miscellaneous other Cup games (unless our club is lucky enough to have a good cup run or two) how do we fill the rest of our weekend/midweek slots through the season to build up on our turnstile revenue and maintain supporter interest?

Compare us with the Seagrave Haulage League for instance who are on the same level as us and have a 24 team league so start off with 16 more home/away games before any other matches kick in.

Does anybody have any (sensible) thoughts as to how the ESL might be able to increase its number of competitive games for the 2003 - 2004 season and which the league management team might like to consider could be in our best interests!!

do what they do in Scotland and after the 30 games are completed split the top and bottom 8 and they play in their own mini league. Play each other in your mini league twice meaning another 14 games in the season and the top boys would all be fighting it out together and the bottom teams still get a revenue for another 14 games .

Fair enough MIMM.

How does this work out re the points and goals f&a accrued in the two extra mini leagues?

Do they get added to the main league ones to create final league positions or are there two separate extra trophies to be played for?

Basically when the teams split into 8 and 8 even if a team racks up loads of points against the bottom lot in the bottom mini league they can finish no higher than 9th. So infact they may well end up with a teally higher than 7th or 8th place but because of the split they cannot progress further than the highest position withing their mini league. The Points from the 30 games already would be carried over so that if a team was tonking everyone by about 15 points at the top , they dont have to go back to all level once the mini league starts as that would be plain unfair. This has worked very successfully in scots premier league , excluding celtic and rangers you get more entertaining matches at the top and the bottom 8 get a more even league themselves . If you were top by 1 point with 3 games left would you like a final 3 fixtures of something like enfield , romford , basildon . I think not . It would take everything down to the wire as the teams are capable of beating each other rather than enfield having to beat someone like Hullbridge to take the title.

And other such prestigious tournaments no doubt.

But they wont affect the final league positions one bit and are not likely to attract as many fans through the turnstiles either I would think.

So I would suggest that league affected extra games are favourite even over league cup group games.

How about it???

H

Actually I saw BC on the TV not so long ago and was amazed how he had changed ( but Play Away was a long time ago wasn't it.

He had lost most of his hair as well so there is a connection with Baldrick.

They're probably one and the same.

Never mind the weather, la la la la etc!

As for me "I want Muffin, Muffin the Mule" and miss Peregrine immensely.