Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Future of Refereeing

I have assisted twice this year in C.C.L.,helping out when an Official never showed,I am not a Qualified Referee,but in my opinion did a good job.My solution to making Referees lives easier is start at the top.How many times have we seen Premiership Players,surrounding Officials,V signing,swearing,diving,what action do the F.A take, NOWT.This behaviour filters down through the Pyramid,solution MORE RED CARDS,and if a game has to be abandoned so be it.Hit Players,Managers,Clubs, hard in their pockets.STARTING AT THE TOP

I thought spy made some excellent observations about the future of officiating in another thread.

I am genuinely concerned that within 10 years the CCL Premier division will have Club Assistants because there will not be enough officials. I think there are a lot of reasons for this.

1 - There are a lot of refs who will not be doing it in 10 years because they will not be able too. I cannot see where these guys are going to be repaced. A lot of the older guys have been officiating at a higher level and have moved down but I do not see that happening as much these days.

2 - For me a lot of younger referees are being sold a lie. Too many really believe they are going to make it to the top. There are only a select number of places available so of course not all of them will. The problem arises when they get "stuck" at level 4 for 2 or 3 years. I know a few young refs who have said to me if they dont get Level 3 within 2 or 3 years they will pack up. Everyone has their level in any chosen walk of life and it is time that was made clear. A Level 4 ref is as important as a Prem Ref

3 - Respect. Not nearly enough of it from players at all levels. I am told I have to earn respect but I completely disagree with that. The players should respect me and it is then mine to lose. I respect all people in life until they do something serious enough to lose that respect. Also if I make a poor decision in a game, of which there are plenty of examples, it shouldn't mean that I get no repsect from those players it affects adversely. It is the decision I make not me they should have the issue with.

4 - Dissent. I am told that refs should do more about it but when we do we are called "Busy". If I followed the letter of the law and had to abandon the game cos 1 team only had 6 players left and the other 7 whose fault would it be ? Mine. For me introduce the 10 yard rule. I give a decision which is disagreed with. If the players continue to moan I pick the ball up and walk with it until they stop. If it means I carry the ball into the area and it becomes a penalty then so be it. No need for a yellow card because that is punishment enough. I really think that 2 years of that rule in would change how people deal with incorrect decisions.

5 - Refs and AR themselves. I personally think that every level should have a fitness test of some sorts. At the moment we really do not have enough officials but I do genuinely believe that the CCL Prem AR's should have to pass a fitness test. For me that would show players and clubs that these guys do put efforts in to be fit enough for that level.

6 - Finally clubs - Clubs do not do enough to prevent over the top abuse of officials and opposition players. I have been subject to some really utterly awful abuse and have reported the abuse to the necessary people but nothing was done. Once I was subject to unbelieveable abuse that actually did genuinely upset me and make me consider packing up. When I went into the board room the person saying those things was actually in the Board Room. I have also seen officials abused verbally in board rooms.

I am sure there will be plenty of funnies made but I would be really interested in other peoples views but for now I will ask one question.

Why do players not take up the whistle at the end of their playing careers ?

Thanks for that Kroons, I knew the system must of changed since my days of simply levels 1 - 3, I agree totally with everything you've said. Being a total footy nut, (which even ended my marriage !! ) I get so frustrated at the inefficiencies in the game. Right from the top with Fifa, Uefa down to the FA, Premier League and Refs Assn there is so much wrong and it seems that they all have their heads in the sand hoping the problems will go away. Well i've got news for them, THEY WON'T -- We're all Doooooooomed Captain Mainwaring !!!! :bartshocked:

My solution to making Referees lives easier is start at the top.How many times have we seen Premiership Players,surrounding Officials,V signing,swearing,diving,what action do the F.A take, NOWT.This behaviour filters down through the Pyramid,solution MORE RED CARDS,and if a game has to be abandoned so be it.Hit Players,Managers,Clubs, hard in their pockets.STARTING AT THE TOP

I don't agree Smudge. I think it needs to be taught from the bottom up in club's youth sections (including the parents watching the games). I watch a lot of under 18 football in the Allied Counties and Southern Youth Leagues - the dissent and other nonsense is almost non-existant there, it only seems to be a problem in senior football. You can't say that 25 year old players are influenced by people like Rooney etc. when it comes to these matters.

I think the FA Charter Standard thing is a good idea as it encourages clubs to look at the broader picture of youth and club development but of course these things take time to filter through.

My solution to making Referees lives easier is start at the top.How many times have we seen Premiership Players,surrounding Officials,V signing,swearing,diving,what action do the F.A take, NOWT.This behaviour filters down through the Pyramid,solution MORE RED CARDS,and if a game has to be abandoned so be it.Hit Players,Managers,Clubs, hard in their pockets.STARTING AT THE TOP

I don't agree Smudge. I think it needs to be taught from the bottom up in club's youth sections (including the parents watching the games). I watch a lot of under 18 football in the Allied Counties and Southern Youth Leagues - the dissent and other nonsense is almost non-existant there, it only seems to be a problem in senior football. You can't say that 25 year old players are influenced by people like Rooney etc. when it comes to these matters.

I think the FA Charter Standard thing is a good idea as it encourages clubs to look at the broader picture of youth and club development but of course these things take time to filter through.

It is easy for referees at the lower end of the scale to blame what goes on at their level on what happens on the television.

It is in their power to change things ... unacceptable behaviour of any kind should be dealt with in the appropriate way ... do not opt out of your duties

Yes agree that the F.A. Charter Standard is a good thing ,but can all Clubs at Junior Level participate,unless you have dedicated people with time and money to spare it Fails.

Fair point. Maybe a pooling of talent is the answer. I think it's Sweden where some youth clubs have over 200 teams playing under their banner. In the UK there are too many separate youth clubs IMO. We're lucky at Camberley to have CTYFC linked to us with their 20+ teams and a genuinely good bunch of people running the youth section but why not bring in Camberley Boys, Curley Park Rangers, Mytchett Athletic etc. etc. under the same banner with each town or area having just one Charter Standard club? That may be a problem in rural areas but they've all got 4x4's and Landrovers so they can drive their little precious's to the nearest town

I fear I'm going off-topic but then who wants to talk about refs all the time!

**edited cos I'm never happy with my first version**

Edited by VPCTFC

We are not so wealthy around Croydon but a lot of Young Talent about,I am of the belief also, that a lot of the most entertaining Footballers are not the most rounded individuals,Gazza,Best,Rooney,Maradonna's parents did not drive round in gaz guzzlers.That's why Rugby is a totally different game to Ref.,because it used to be A Public School game, Where Discipline is taught at a very young age.

I say sod it, bring the 10 yard rule back in. If it gets talked into the penalty area then give the penalty, not an indirect, or move as far as the edge of the penalty area as was done before. Second offence from the player, move 10 yards again and caution.

Tone made a good point about too many officials being fast tracked. That is a problem that needs to be addressed. Its like learing to be a mechanic at college and learning the theory to then being appointed chief mechanic. Too many (costly) errors will be made because they have not got their experience at the lower level.