Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

St Mary's Challenge Cup - 2010/2011

Do we know what the point of the St Mary’s Cup is as it just appears to be a Cup for Cup’s sake:

First Round

Hemel Hempstead Town v Berkhamsted

2 0 Oxhey Jets v Hemel Hempstead Rovers

http://www.oxheyjets.com/firsts_hemelrovers_231110.html

4 0 Leverstock Green v Chipperfield Corinthians

http://www.levgreenfc.co.uk/MatchReport.php?File=20101109

Tring Athletic v Metropolitan Police Bushey

Semi Finals

Ting Athletic or Metropolitan Police Bushey v Hemel Hempstead Town or Berkhamsted

Oxhey Jets v Leverstock Green

Do we know what the point of the St Mary’s Cup is as it just appears to be a Cup for Cup’s sake:

The only info I can gather on this, is that it appears to be a West Hertfordshire Team Cup Competition. As to who organizes it, I am unable to find out.

Maybe similar to the "Biggleswade Cup" that team in and around Biggleswade play for. Local bragging rights.

The only info I can gather on this, is that it appears to be a West Hertfordshire Team Cup Competition. As to who organizes it, I am unable to find out.

Maybe similar to the "Biggleswade Cup" that team in and around Biggleswade play for. Local bragging rights.

oi!............no bragging around here unless you are an unwanted unofficial official coffee%20(2).gif

This is organised by the West Herts FA and we've been playing in the competition for at least 15 years (first win in 96/7)

As far as I know it is by invitation and I think profits go to a charity

Thanks for the info. Did some more checking, seems its organized by the West Herts Saturday League. Here's the link to their site. West Herts League

Edited by britman

Slightly out of date but, from Nonleaguefootball.org

Of these competitions, only the St Mary's Cup is competed by non-West Herts League clubs. The St Mary's Cup, which has run since the 1800's, is the only local competition which allows teams from the West Herts League compete against teams from higher divisions - entry is by invitation and Hemel Hempstead Town and Berkhamsted Town (both of the Southern League), Leverstock Green, Tring Athletic and Oxhey Jets (all over the Spartan South Mids League) all regularly compete in the St Mary's Cup. On Tuesday 6th November 2007, a Quarter Final tie saw Hemel Hempstead Town of the Southern League face Hemel Hempstead Rovers of the West Herts Premier Division, with the clubs around seven divisions apart it was the equivalent of Hemel Hempstead Town facing a Premiership team - so the 10-0 scoreline in Town's favour was of no surprise.

Given when the competition started I would guess it was named after the best club in the region - Watford St Mary's which later merged with West Herts to form Watford FC.

interesting - though the prestige of the competition is somewhat tainted by not having Corries in it.... ;-)

It could be because Corries came up to the SSML via the Aylesbury & District League rather than West Herts ? We were in the WH from 1958 to 88 and presume Chipperfield and Met Police were before going to the Herts County. We could start up a Tring Challenge Cup to be one of Rhodes' pointless trophies. At least we'd both get to the final every year :excited:

Given when the competition started I would guess it was named after the best club in the region - Watford St Mary's which later merged with West Herts to form Watford FC.

I believe that the history has been changed to West Herts absorbing St Mary's instead of merging with them therefore Watfords formation date is now given as 1881 (when Watford Rovers were formed) rather than 1898 when St Mary's were absorbed (and the club subsequently changing its name to Watford).

I really shouldn't know that much information about Watford!!

Rhodes likened the last Charity Cup that got a mention on a thread as a 'Mickey Mouse' competition, so there's hope yet for this one to be re-named yet by the gormless t**t.

Perhaps all competitions like this should be re-named the Rhodes Charity Case Cup......never a truer word spoken.

Rhodes likened the last Charity Cup that got a mention on a thread as a 'Mickey Mouse' competition, so there's hope yet for this one to be re-named yet by the gormless t**t.

Perhaps all competitions like this should be re-named the Rhodes Charity Case Cup......never a truer word spoken.

Personally I haven't a problem with these 'Mickey Mouse' cups, certainly I wouldn't mind a South Beds Cup for The 61 to compete in against other local clubs, which would be made even more interesting if teams from other leagues were involved as well. Also gives you an extra chance for some silverware but I guess its all down to how seriously the clubs involved treat the competition.

Personally I haven't a problem with these 'Mickey Mouse' cups, certainly I wouldn't mind a South Beds Cup for The 61 to compete in against other local clubs, which would be made even more interesting if teams from other leagues were involved as well. Also gives you an extra chance for some silverware but I guess its all down to how seriously the clubs involved treat the competition.

A lot of these Cups are normally midweek and your mob are normally involved in most Cups even late in the season LOL, but they're not bad, just Rhodes seems to think all charity should have himself involved.....if not then it's Mickey Mouse.

A lot of these Cups are normally midweek and your mob are normally involved in most Cups even late in the season LOL, but they're not bad, just Rhodes seems to think all charity should have himself involved.....if not then it's Mickey Mouse.

We seem to do quite well in the cups recently, well until we meet bloody Padbury United that is! ;)

To be fair to Rhodes you do hear a lot of people moan about 'minor' cups at all levels.

AWK - When I was involved with Kentish Town we got embroiled in a meaningless County Cup tie that went to extra time and penalties, to cut a long story short it ultimately cost the Club promotion in the 2006/2007 season so that's why I have little or no time for these sort of competitions

The spread of teams from different leagues makes it a good competition for me. We had success as underdogs in the past against Berko, Hemel & Tring Town when they were all Ryman sides. At the same time I think Oxhey Jets & Sun Sports were representing the Herts County League & neither were ever easy games. It gives the "bigger" clubs a chance to play a few squad players and for the West Herts and Herts County sides a possible "giant killing" under lights

Rhodes how can one cup tie that went to extra time then penalties cost a club promotion, unlike Stony under Craig Connell that reached 2 Cup Finals and another Cup semi final in the season they got pipped for promotion on goal difference...that's justified, however one game that goes the distance, clutching at straws syndrome again

AWK - When I was involved with Kentish Town we got embroiled in a meaningless County Cup tie that went to extra time and penalties, to cut a long story short it ultimately cost the Club promotion in the 2006/2007 season so that's why I have little or no time for these sort of competitions

I remember you talking about that match Rhodes, if I recall correctly the opposition were well up for the game and certainly took it seriously. One of the 'problems' with pushing for promotion is that the vast majority of people, whether they are fans or players, would rather just concentrate on the league and not have the distraction of a cup getting in the way. For example there would have been a lot of Luton fans more than happy to have lost the FA Trophy match the other week as it is seen as a pointless competition for us to be playing in.

Pesonally I do think its a shame that a lot of County Cups are nowadays seen as meaningless, they used to be a prestigous competition to win but I guess times have changed.