Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Dunstable Town - Right or Wrong Strategy?

Reliable rumour has it this year Dunstable are running with a 1st team wage budget of 15k. Consequently they seem to have a strategy of going for more high profile players away from the town, and are rumoured to have signed 7 plus players previously from Aylesbury.Already they have lost many of last year’s local good quality players, including the captain Buchanan and John Barnett mainly because of the strategy.

Maybe they will attract some very good players and win the Prem but the question is, what effect will this have on team spirit, will the players gel, and what happens should they get a few bad results?

Edited by smellynuts

This works out at £375 a week by my maths over a 10 month season.

Cant see how you would attract big names on that as it would soon run out i imagine.

I reckon in the league above say zameretto, the average wage budget would be 800 - 1000 a week

I wouldn't take any notice of any rumours. As we found out last year plenty of players make promises and turn-up for pre-season, but let you down before the season starts.

Have a look at our squad at the start of the season and then make a call. That's certainly what I'll be doing.

I've heard plenty of rumours of players that have said they will be at Dunstable Town, but I have also heard some of the same names sniffing around at other clubs. Until reg forms are in and the season starts I won't be listening to any rumours.

As for the budget, I've heard conflicting rumours of considerably less and considerably more. Only the chairman knows and he has always held his cards close to his chest.

I wouldn't take any notice of any rumours. As we found out last year plenty of players make promises and turn-up for pre-season, but let you down before the season starts.

Have a look at our squad at the start of the season and then make a call. That's certainly what I'll be doing.

I've heard plenty of rumours of players that have said they will be at Dunstable Town, but I have also heard some of the same names sniffing around at other clubs. Until reg forms are in and the season starts I won't be listening to any rumours.

As for the budget, I've heard conflicting rumours of considerably less and considerably more. Only the chairman knows and he has always held his cards close to his chest.

Scottie hits the nail on the head here. Not just for Dunstable, this applies to any team, every season.

Scottie hits the nail on the head here. Not just for Dunstable, this applies to any team, every season.

completely agree Britman, unless of course you have the luxury of signing players on contract like the odd team in our league. What is very frustrating is that the forms for signing on players dont get given out until mid-July I believe, whereas the Ryman leagues and Eastern Junior Alliance leagues for example can sign players now if I am right in thinking. Although i do remember two or three seasons ago a certain player signing for us mid-July and then de-registering before the start of the season to join another team!!

completely agree Britman, unless of course you have the luxury of signing players on contract like the odd team in our league. What is very frustrating is that the forms for signing on players dont get given out until mid-July I believe, whereas the Ryman leagues and Eastern Junior Alliance leagues for example can sign players now if I am right in thinking. Although i do remember two or three seasons ago a certain player signing for us mid-July and then de-registering before the start of the season to join another team!!

They have been available for download from the league website for a week now - also from the Mitoo download section. New system this season! They still have to be printed off and posted, but late signings (now up to 4 hours before the game) can be emailed as well as faxed.

I have heard Aylesbury United's budget is going up to and they are going to give it a good go at winning the league next year, although i have heard there are a few players leaving Danny Jones who is apparantly going back to Didcot as his loan spell has finished? Warren Garcia and Ben Baines?

They have been available for download from the league website for a week now - also from the Mitoo download section. New system this season! They still have to be printed off and posted, but late signings (now up to 4 hours before the game) can be emailed as well as faxed.

Cheers for pointing that out - I was informed last night actually at our AGM - this is very useful and I am no longer frustrated :)