Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What will happan to Withom...

when Danny Greves comes knocking for his old players?

Top scorer rob Whitnell is an ex grate Wakering player who probably fancies ryman football

I will be very surprised if any of them will want to go to GWR and get involved in a relegation scrap with Ilford and Ware.Witham are doing well and with Enfield are the favourites to win the ESL.Plus Witham might have a bigger budget than GWR.Whitnell has been at GWR before.

Giving Jamie a job at that level would have been a good idea. Whoever ends up with Jamie will end up with a very good manager. I accept he is untested ;but I am sure he will bring an excellent no2 as well. He played (and was a good player) at a good level , helped out some experienced guys out and more importantly would be totally dedicated with good ideas. I think GWR have missed an opportunity by not giving the job to him (assuming he applied). The whole Senior management scene needs freshening up and by giving some of these younger guys jobs will do that. Someone needs to take a chance on them!

Jamie did apply and I'm led to believe was given an interview, along with Lee Harrison (ex-Barnet & Southend keeper) and Trenks. GWR obviously went with the man with experience in Danny Greaves and he needs to be given time to put his mark on the team and I'm sure he will. If players want to leave Witham or any other team in the ESL they will and in my eyes rightly so because it is a higher level of football, against better opposition and in better facilities.

That isn't a dig at anyone in the ESL but facts, we'd all rather got to Harlow or Wakering itself than some of the grounds in the ESL.

Coach et 64's comments are true though as I don't think enough of the players at ESL have the commitment, (training twice a a week), and more importantly in my eyes the desire to play at a higher level. Which is a shame

I don't disagree with any of your sentiments- Sorry. My point is that by continuing to pick managers who have had their chance (and not been successful) younger , hungrier guys are not getting an opportunity. Equally, I accept its easy for the Chairman to take a safe option just that Greaves would not have been mine. Your point about the ESL /Ryman grounds is true as is the lack of desire among certain players. There are some very good players playing in both the ESL and EOFL who prefer the easier option for many reasons- Work, Friends etc etc...but good enough they should give it a go but GWR and Greaves would not be my choice.

I understand that Lee Williams was going to be Jamies No 2. Good pairing and would do well wherever!.

Don't know too much about greaves but I feel GWR have missed out on a trick with Jamie Southon,yes he is untested but he was a top non league player and has contacts left right and centre,he was very popular at Hornchurch and bearing in mind the amount of players hornchurch have had in the past 7 or 8 years I reckon he would of got a good selection of those and other top Essex players down to great wakering

Coach et 64's comments are true though as I don't think enough of the players at ESL have the commitment, (training twice a a week), and more importantly in my eyes the desire to play at a higher level. Which is a shame

A lot could probably potentially play in the Premiership, at least fitness wise. I doubt Scholes ever had more natural fitness than a lot of ESL players (or even than me!), and not much more pace (certainly not than those who looked more like Essien than him). Did Neville ever have more ability? Fitness made Neville the best English RB. Skill would have made him a Ryman player.

playing devils advocate we all know non leage managers have their following of loyel players who will follow them everywhere

as soon as chris woods got the basildon job harry chalk upped sticks from barkingside one of the better places to play football in esl and were he was playing every week to join basildon the hell hole of essex football

there are quite a few of greave boys in withom team like whitnal, taylor, murfit, stopher etc etc who may fancy this opportunity

i would bet very good money they have all had a text or a phone call to "see how they are doing"

I can never understand when players don't want to play higher. I went everywhere trying to play at a higher level, most of the time not knowing anyone at the club. Playing with mates wasn't what I wanted, it was playing at the highest level I possibly could.

so if withom were to lose danny greaves click of players would their squad hold up?

have they lost any already?

when i used to play i would have jumped at the chance of playing the isthman legue

I see both arguments here. There can be alot of effort put in by a player that may spend 60%+ of his time not playing and in some cases it taking up 20+ hours of his week. And this is where a players desire and determination will be tested, but as everyone has lives and girlfriends and job and kids it can seem like more of a hassle than a its worth.

I do however, believe that when any opportunity to play at a higher level comes along it should be taken. But should never be expected, that way it is more about wanting to be at that level than wanting just to play.

Harry Chalk is a prime example of a player that could possibly play at a higher level, but will follow Chris Woods whenever he gets the chance because its an easy option knowing he will play every game. Quite sad really, players that follow managers, especially considering at this level most of the managers are poor at best.

With regard to Witham, i still think they will be there or thereabouts even if they lose half a team. Good facilities, good fanbase, good club probably playing in a league below themselves in all honesty.

I know Darren hunt,will probably see him tonight at Hornchurch where his dad is one of the owners.

We played Kelvedon in a pre season match at the start of last season,they beat us 3-2 I think and looked a good side,many of their players were ex ryman players and without being too disrespectful to the ESL Were better players than most ESL players IMO.

But I think that being a manager in the Olympian league possibly hinders them in getting a crack at a ryman one north side and possibly ESL although I think that if a chance would be taken all of those four managers would step up to the plate.

Edited by Eastside Urchin

olympan footy is park/pub football

larfable to consider this mob for ryman jobs

back on topic

looks like taylor, stofer and harris all going wakering

whitnal is staying put because of work

"olympan footy is park/pub football

larfable to consider this mob for ryman jobs",

Terry Spillane of Redbridge started in the Olympian league and so did Colin Wallington previously of Maldon Town, so stranger things have happened Dr RS and I'm sure there are more out there.

So, taking your above comment, are you saying there are managers in the lower leagues of professional football that should never get a job at Premiership level?

BTW. I'm sure you've said before but what team do you follow