Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

aldershot game

I cant believe that we didnt get a result tonight, aldershot so lucky to get 3 points. At the end of the day though, it was due to lack of finishing from us. And appaling defending of set pieces, i think all 3 goals came from set pieces. Mister Deadman is not fit to ref the gravesham boys under 10s, let alone the conference!! What was PErkins first booking about? why would he kick the ball away when we are 3-1 down? the other booking wasnt deliberate handball either!! I dont think they will be up there for much longer! They have awesome pace in d'sane and mclean, but they rely on the long ball to much I think.

I will not agree with any of the post other than the McKimm incident. We DID NOT deserve to win the game and so did not. To get a point from the game would have been unjust on Aldershot. We let in the three worst goals in history of football (even though Wilko tried his utomst with them all). Three crosses three goals it was a strikers dream.

NOW -

MR Referee

W****R - letters in the post.....

I'm not going to mention the ref. He doesn't need anymore coverage than he's going to get.

Just wanted to say i thought wilko had a game and a half tonight. He made 4 or 5 absolutely world class saves, and was really the only player out there that was up for it and giving 110% to try and win the game, as he does almost every week. Thats all i wanted to say really just to stop the referee taking up all this thread. Also well done to andy for getting Howarth on board, if his 2nd header that hit the bar had gone in it would have been a completely different game and result

Lets give Aldershot some credit, i thought they were awesome coming forward and ill be amazed if we play a better attacking combination this year. Excellent game, end to end first 45 minutes could have been 3-3 at half time. Second half more of the same, if Robs header had gone in we may have pressed on but they seemed to turn the screw after that and had chance after chance. Terry Brown acknowledged Perkins shouldnt have been sent off. As mentioned above, it was a terrible decision but i dont feel it had any bearing on the result. I have to admit, i cant believe what Rob Owen does wrong as he was dropped tonight and didnt play bad on Saturday. If i was him i could understand if he handed a transfer request in as Drury, although we have high hopes for him, was woeful most of the match and doesnt look happy out on the wing. Nothing to be too down about as it wasnt a bad performance just a bit short on pace at the back but the Fridge gets his chance on Saturday.

The header that Haworth had that bounced onto the bar rather than under it, at 2-1, and the miss by Lee Shearer in the first half at 1-0, were the real difference.

Had either of those gone in, who knows?

But overall, Aldershot deserved it tonight - after all, they had several other clear chances that they wasted and that thunderous effort that hit the bar as well..

Still, it should have been 3-2 in the last minute as well - how did the ref and linesman miss the foul on Haworth (I thought you were supposed to play the ball first, not the man??) and then the handball with the raised arm of the defender?

I dont even know what the ref was playing at every time he booked someone - did anyone else see how he made a great show of displaying the card towards the stand, and then giving it a little twirl in his hand as well.

Still, as I said, fair play to Aldershot tonight - worth the 3 points, I think.

I can only think that Rob Owen had picked up a knock that we didnt know about, or was feeling unwell, as I cant believe Andy wouldnt have brought him on at some point, given the state of the game. And I would have thought he would have been first choice sub ahead of Anthony Finn as well (nothing against Finn, but he obviously found it hard in his few minutes on the pitch tonight)

Must say , thought we were well beaten tonight.. Best attacking performance I have seen by an away team for a good long while. Don't think that the result flattered them at all, yes we missed chances, but they missed more !!!.

Sorely missing Matt Lee and Rob Owen.

Only good thing to come out of tonights results are that even after losing 3 -1 at home , we go back above Margate...

A couple of long away trips coming up , we seem to play much better on our travels so lets get behind the team, get as many as we can to these games, and hopefully bring some points back. I' d settle for 3 out of the 6.

well lets face it . aldershot has suprised a lot of people since coming up from the ryman,we were awesome in that league and could,nt lose.

im suprised with the attendances in this league . only 500 at leigh and only 1400 at gravesend ? a town 3 times the size of aldershot. warminster shot, up the shots

It seems Andy has thrown a 'wobbler' yet again, every once and a while he goes through a spate of poor decisions. Bringing Strouts on in the last minute of the game on Saturday, so unsettling the team which must of helped FGR to equalise. Leaving Owen out of the side tonight. Rob has had ten starts and come off the bench once so far this season, and is probably 'consistently' the best player we have. He was asked before the game why he hadn't made the team. His reply, 'I don't know'. 3-1 down and putting Finn on for his first Conference game, ahead of Owen. If we were 3-1 up, yes. You don't 'blood' a new player when you're trying to scrape some points out of a game.

The Aldershot defence was poor and the midfield average, but their strikers were awesome. The result was fair, if disappointing. Our marking was poor, hence their three goals from corners crossed back in, the first and third were identical. Our passing, if you could call it that was abysmal, time and again balls played into empty space and short balls played to soft or given straight to the opposition.

Walshe wasn't fit and nobody else seemed interested. Only one player put any effort into the game and that was Wilko.

I thought we were pretty flat apart from the spell of pressure that we had at the start of the second half. We didn't make it count and then they scored. Game over from then on really.

Sending off was a bit of a joke though he did deserve the first booking.

Wilko was class and certainly didn't deserve to let in 3. The defenders in front of him were poor though. We must learn to react to set pieces.

Thought that their attackers were by far the best I have seen all season. The pace combination up front will work in this league, they're not fourth for no reason. However, the couple of examples of racist abuse that I heard during the first half have no place at Stonebridge Road or life in general.

Aldershot were well worth the three points. Let's just hope we can pick it up again on our forthcoming travels.

As for Rob Owen, I'm as clueless as the rest of you why he didn't play. Midfield missed him especially in the first half.

Well done Aldershot. The Fleet were a well beaten team on the night and the margin would have been more had it not been for some truly outstanding saves from Wilko and a few unbelievables misses by their front men. The sheer pace, tactics and robustness of the Aldershot strike force brought back memories of the days of Gaul, Butler and company at Maidstone Utd during their successful years in the Conference in the late 1980s. It was awesome then, as it is now, to see!

Wilko was amazing last night, and kept the score (helped by some woeful finishing) respectable. He was so unlucky for the second goal, after making a world class save, from an almost point blank header.

The Ref was dreadful, but after over a year in the conference, should we expect anything else now?

I thought Aldershot were well worth their three points, and in the end we were lucky they didnt run away with it.

The pace up front will trouble a lot of people, and they closed us down well in their own half. Every time we got the ball someone was on him straight away.

Highlight of the game (apart from Wilko's saves) was D'Sane missing 2 sitters in a minute!

Oh dear oh dear oh dear after defending Andy on numerous occasions i am astounded by some of his decisions last night Rob owen dropped was unbelievable especially as it seemed Walshe was not completely fit. Aldershot have three excellent forwards esp Tim Sills who will surely end up playing league football. but Andy handed them the iniative with a poor team selection AND made it worse by bringing Finn on ahead of Owen why was he even on the bench ahead of Strouts & Evans.

What has Evans done not to warrant a place on the bench? Abbey did nothing apart from charge the Aldershot dugout chasing a long ball!

Also cannot believe Owen didn't play - I've only seen Drury twice this season and he must be a victim of his own early season press cos I've seen nothing to say he should get a place ahead of Owen.

Ref was unbelievable. We'd well and truly lost the game ourselves to a very good attacking side, but how he didn't see both shouts for a penalty at the end is beyond me. Perkins booking and sending-off was a joke - he kicked the ball all of six inches. Roddis got booked for Aldershot for taking a massive 10 seconds to take a free-kick, and he booked another of theirs shortly after Perkins walked for kicking the ball another foot. Idiot.

Thoroughly enjoyed last nights match, and have always been a fan of your ground. Loads of terracing and a great view. Thought we would be lucky to get a result with our two main centre midfielders missing, but was pleased with our all round performance. Referee was appalling, as he was last season in the Ryman when we had him.

Thought a couple of our yellows were harsh and that Perkins should never have been sent off. Yellow for kicking the ball away YES, but he hardly put ball to hand for the second yellow. Free Kick YES booking NO.

Theres always been a mutual respect between our fans I think, since you played us off the park at the Rec a couple of seasons ago. You like to play football rather than run and hoof and that gave us a decent game yesterday. We play the same way (although it was difficult with 6 defenders on the pitch last night).

Good luck for the rest of the season.. A bit more bite in the midfield and you will do well in the league this season. All the best

Have to agree with a lot that's been said here.

We badly missed Owen in midfield, and if he was benched for reasons that have been rumoured, it was a poor decision on Andy's part. The team should always come first.

Walshe didn't look anywhere near 100%, there was none of the flair that we've seen from him in recent games.

Thought Aldershot played very well, and deserved the 3 points. Agree with Jeff completely that we lost the game as soon as we didn't capitalise on our bit of excellent play in the second half which led to Aldershot scoring their third.

Also, to agree with Jeff again, I wasn't at all happy with the racism that seemed to rear it's ugly head a few times last night. There's no need for it, we should be better than that. Thankfully, it was only a few idiots doing it, and it seemed that the people around tham gave them a booing for it. No more of it please, it's ignorant and childish.

yeah the ref gave some bewildering decisions, but as somebody said above, dont they always? I've stopped being shocked by them now.

Lets look forward to a few away wins from the lads in the coming weeks, otherwise we'll have to put up with bloody King Carlos again lol