Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Casuals 1 Ash Trees 2

Swifty

Always nice to beat a load of lary losers.

We just about did enough against a Walton Casuals team who knock the ball about quickly and attack with pace, but who are one of the worst sides I've seen in ages for dissent, bad-mouthing and nasty niggly fouls. I couldn't watch them if they were my local side. We weren't helped by the ref, who was appalling and appeared to be very much pro-Surrey and anti-Middlesex.

In the first half, their number 11 got a total of one talking to for four full-on fouls which should have accumulated to at least a booking. Jim Mann then got booked for his first challenge of any note, a 50-50 where the Casuals player was just as committed. Just before the break, their 6 could have been booked for showing his displeasure at not getting an offside given by vigrously complaining and almost fighting his keeper. He went off for a half-time rusk.

Early in the second half Alex (who had a great game) was clattered by the 11, and Casuals' captain (I believe Craig Lewington) had the audacity to swear at Alex and complain to the ref to get him moved off the pitch. Their captain seemed the sort who'd start a fight in a night club. If that's the team captain, it says a lot about the management's school of thought. He had to be pulled away from the officials after the match. A real class act. By that time he'd become the only Casuals booking of the night, whereas Russ and Ed got booked for acts of petulance. It seemed if you wore an orange shirt you could use the 'f' word directly at the ref all night and clatter players and not get booked.

As for the match, we took the lead with a Bitz penalty in the 38th minute after a shove in the box. We doubled the lead in the 48th when one of many great corners by Ash was met by a Russ bullet header, superbly saved but pushed upwards and just right for Jim to nod in on its way down. We then seemed to settle for the two goal lead and let Casuals push on to us. Casuals took a defender off and loaded the midfield and attack, but we didn't make a change to combat this, and it got a bit dicey. Casuals scored with a well taken shot across the goal from 15 yards out with seven minutes of normal time left and we just about managed to see the game out.

Not all the players seemed fully motivated for the game, and one or two were disappointing in comparison to recent showings. Hopefully, they'll be up for the trip to Woking in the next round.

Edited by fatboyatmfc

This is my first post for ages as I haven't been to many games this season and I couldn't figure out how to sign in!

With regards io the forum itself and the lack of regular contributors, i think it is because there isn't much to discuss. The club is going through a transitional period and there is an unwritten rule to get behind the manager and team, it almost treasonable to criticise Burgo or his players in mark contrast to last year when it was open season to attack all and sundry. The result is that this forum has become rather dull. Whatever you say about last season, you have to admit that the comments on the old forum were good value for money( probably better value than the football).

I did go to last night's match and was impressed for the first 70 minutes, the team were solid with all the players looking comfortable on the ball and moving the ball quickly and accurately. We created a few chances in the first half but the Casuals No 5 always seemed to be there to get in decisive interventions. We quite rightly were awarded a penalty for a push following an excellent whipped corner for our new no 11, Alex Duffy?. The offending Casuals player berated the referee with " does that mean that all pushes in the penalty area end in a penalty?" Yes and all pushes outside the penalty area result in a free kick doh!

I have to agree with Swifty's assessment of the rest of the match, we lost our way after a tactical change by Casuals. My only other comments are about Mark Bitmead being on the wing, I would have thought he is more effective down the middle and felt that our No 10 should have given way rather than Mark in the second half. He is apparently a very good player but had a very quiet game last night.

Swifty was right in his assessment of a weak referee and some yobbish Casuals players, especially the No 4, who with his surname was presumably some kind of offspring of Ray Lewington, the lad must make him so proud.

There is no unwritten rule.

If you feel there is something to critcise the managment for then feel free.

The main reason there isnt much criticism of the players or staff is because

1, The team give 100% in everygame.

2, Everyone can see its a young team and that they are getting better every week

3, The manager is working with a third of the budget.

4, We are a more solid and settled side this season.

5, The players are approachable, friendly and committed to the club.

i could go on......
:D Edited by fatboyatmfc