Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Friday evening matches

Be interested to get peoples views on playing ESL matches on a Friday evening.

Can think of pros and cons, has it been discussed before ?

I am led to believe that the league would allow it to happen if both clubs agreed and officials were available.

Your thoughts please

Stansted FC

Good point by Basil-Don who knows more than I being involved in the running of a club...

Think if it's marketed/advertised right it could be worth it

Say for example -

1) half price entry for season ticket holders at league clubs and blue square clubs

Or, 2) free pint on production of season ticket.

If West Ham agree to put details in their programme, for example, a Basildon United v Southend Manor

(cont)

***SAUSAGE FINGERS ON MY PHONE***

game it could work out.

Even 150 x £5 entrance = £750 + bar takings and future interest/visits etc.

"FRIDAY NIGHTS IN ESSEX"

only a few games and see what happens

There is no culture for Friday night football in this country and most players would not be able to accommodate it , asking a player to give up a friday night with friends and family only to make himself available for house work or trips to Westfields on a Saturday would not have anyone queuing in the aisles except for the supporters

Interesting stuff guys.

Agree with the floodlight cost, but during the winter months we have the lights on saturday afternoon, so no loss there?

As said officials would be easy to find.

Agree that a lot of players may like there friday with friends family, but surely a lot wouldn't mind the odd saturday off.

Certainly think if we (Stansted FC) can get agreement with a few teams we would be wiling to give it a few goes during the forthcoming season and obviously reciprocate if the opponents wanted to do a friday match.

I do believe it would double the amount of support a team would get.....we might get 50 LOL

Stansted FC

The Combined Counties have had occasional Friday night games for a couple of seasons and it's been quite successful from an attendance point of view. You do get a lot of the local groundhoppers turn up, as well as local fans who would be going to their own game the next day not to mention a few local players/managers attending. I've listed the games from last season and attendances. Some of those attendance figures are probably double what they would have had the following day - Ash v Cove for example probably would not have cleared 100 on the Saturday. Even the Colliers Wood games probably had a dozen more than they would have got the next day.

Fri 30 Sept - Ash United 2-2 Cove, att 202

Fri 14 Oct - Cove 4-3 Sandhurst Town, att 174

Fri 4 Nov - Colliers Wood Utd 4-2 Guildford City, att 110

Fri 11 Nov - Guildford City 2-0 Badshot Lea, att 130

Fri 9 Dec - Knaphill 0-8 Guernsey, att 323

Fri 24 Feb - Guildford City 4-1 Ash United, att 172

Fri 16 Mar - Colliers Wood Utd 1-2 Mole Valley SCR, att 54

Fri 23 Mar - Cove 3-2 Ash United, att 87

Fri 30 Mar - Colliers Wood Utd 1-1 Badshot Lea, att 45 & Sandhurst Town 1-3 Cove, att 104

I think it's important to not have too many (certainly only one game at a time) and try and keep to localish derbies where possible to get the biggest crowds. Cove often struggle to get more than 30 or so through the gate on a Saturday, so figures of 174 and 87 make a big difference.

• 1 month later...

Works for me I could still go emirates on a Saturday

Anton, I dont think you can use Mile End on a Friday night, I tried that for the Sporting Bengal FA Vase tie back in December, and they tried it for the league game in January, the stadium said No.

Archived