Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Team GB Announced

GK: Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Jason Steele (Middlesbrough)

DF: Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea), Steve Caulker (Tottenham Hotspur), Craig Dawson (WBA), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Neil Taylor (Swansea City), James Tomkins (West Ham United)

MF: Joe Allen (Swansea City), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Jack Cork (Southampton), Ryan Giggs (Manchester United), Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur)

FW: Scott Sinclair (Swansea City), Craig Bellamy (Liverpool), Marvin Sordell (Bolton Wanderers), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea)

No Scottish or Northern Irish players picked, so reads more of an 'England & Wales Combined Squad'

Thoughts?

I think that's a tad unfair, Urchin, after all there was a lot of vociferous opposition from the FAW and SFA (not sure about the Irish FA) to there even being a Team GB.

Pearce has had to work with what he's been given, and I believe he's made the right call with David Beckham - he's too old and if he was still that good at international level Hodgson would have picked him for Euro 2012. Becks will be there as an ambassador anyway.

The team doesn't look too bad, but forget medals.

The olympics isn't and never was just about winning,I would rather have a washed up Beckham who bleeds red white and blue,than giggs who puts his club first.After everything beckham has done,he deserves a place.Let's not forget it was Beckham who approached the olympic comittee to help not the other way round as he was proud the olympics were coming to his city and country.If pearce wanted to pick the best squad possible then he should be sacked automaticaly as,beckham aside he has failed already

I think Pearce wants to be main man and not over-shadowed by Beckham.

I still think Becks is a better crosser than all of England's wannabee replacements as The Euro's showed.

The olympics isn't and never was just about winning,I would rather have a washed up Beckham who bleeds red white and blue,than giggs who puts his club first.After everything beckham has done,he deserves a place.Let's not forget it was Beckham who approached the olympic comittee to help not the other way round as he was proud the olympics were coming to his city and country.If pearce wanted to pick the best squad possible then he should be sacked automaticaly as,beckham aside he has failed already

Brand Beckham bleeds red white and blue so much he lives and pays his taxes in the USA and is no longer good enough. As for saying the Olympics isn't just about winning, what an insult to all the athletes who sweat blood for years on end in the hope they can one day own an Olympic medal.

Pearce has made the right call re David Beckham - as for Beckham being a proud Englishman I cannot disagree but a lot of its about 'Brand Beckham' a sell he does brilliantly. Thou, I have to say without him we probably would not have the Olympics. I think the mistake was made appointing Pearce , they should have given it to Beckham. Imagine the impact he would have had on the youngsters ! Then a medal could have been possible ...

I agree re managers position.

Alan,as usual your arguement is flawed.Beckham plays and lives abroad because he gets paid to do so,what's wrong with that,its a life experience,why shouldn't he live and work in the states,so fckng draconian imo to suggest otherwise.

As usual your arguement gets personal,the whole thing about the olympics isn't about winning,was eric the eel or eddie the eagle edwards about winning,no,but they capture the hearts of many but I suppose these people are just fools in your eyes?

It would be great if Seb Coe relieved Pearce of his duties with immediate effect and installed Beckham as Manager along with a high profile assistant, such as Harry Redkapp for example, to guide him as clearly he has no Managerial experience, the same squad could reluctantly be kept in place at this late stage for Beckham and his assistant to make the best they can out of. I think that would be a very popular decision all round other than obviously with Pearce who clearly has a hidden agenda, also to select no Scottish or Irish players was 'criminal'.

In defence of Pearce,not sure there are any northern irish players good enough,republic players obviously cant play for team GB

However,the Scottish have Jordan Rhodes who should of gone,only the Scottish seem to have their heads stuck back in the 1500's and are so out of touch with reality they saw merging with the other nations as an offence worth shooting.......fckng retarded tw@ts

1500 - is that Scotland's latest FIFA ranking? :ph34r:

Pearce has made the right call re David Beckham

How can you possibly say that

Pearce has made the right call re David Beckham

How can you possibly say that

Probably because Beckham is a geriatric one trick pony whose legs have long gone.

IMO the whole Olympic fiasco is a total waste of money that only serves to make a few rich people much richer, and gives unlimited photo opportunities to useless celebrities and politicians. Once the games have finished the press will discover countless financial scandals involving waste and corruption, and ordinary working class folk will be saddled with the debt for decades to come.

Archived