Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Match report and Twitter info

Swifty

Just a couple of quick queries. Any news on how the Spelthorne Sports game went? Usually there's a match report the next day. Also, is there a way to put the Twitter link and latest conversation stream nearer the top or down one side of the front page, rather than right down at the bottom? Sorry if I'm being a pain, and thanks.

There's been no match report because once I got home from the game, I was prepping minutes from the last committee meeting until 4.00am on Wednesday ahead of Thursday's meeting. Once I got home from Thursday's meeting, I was sending documents to Spot England for a grant application until now (1.59am on Friday).

Alan is up to his neck in fixtures and he and I are the only people comfortable with uploading such things.On Wednesday, I crashed out putting Lilly to bed and then allowed myself to test my new phone.

There is no way to put the twitter feed anywhere else on the front page without redesigning the site because of the way the template looks and the requirements of the League.

We DESPERATELY need a Press Officer and I would love to hear from anyone who can help.

Beano,

Not my business to comment on Ashford Town and new members of staff, but maybe if you took a look at http://www.uwl.ac.uk/art_design_media/subjects/Media_studies.jsp and asked if one of their students fancied some on the job training with Ashford Town (Middlesex) as a press officer? That way, a student benefits and you'd build up community relations and support during what is a tough time for your club and local community with your local MP being a twit.

All the best

Adam.

Once I got home from Thursday's meeting, I was sending documents to Spot England for a grant application until now (1.59am on Friday).

There it is! :lol:

PS - Nice idea, Adam. I think the committee would appreciate your initiative.

Damn my gummed-up keyboard! Lilly has a fair bit to answer for (such as my FUBAR sleep pattern, which facilitates late night admin and forum postings... Oh, and the state of my laptop...)

Adam, thanks for the suggestion. I think we may have tried something similar with Royal Holloway before, without success, but I'll try anything right now! My own degree is from the University of West London, although when I was there it was called Thames Valley University, which I think is an infinitely better name. I might have read Private Eye for too long, but whenever I hear "the University of West London" I just think "Neasden Polytechnic"...

Anyway, no matter - I have identified the person at UWL who manages work placements for the relevant School there and will email them. I shall also be contacting Brunel University in a similar fashion.

Once I've finished this post, I will put something on the homepage about Tuesday's game. I have submitted the final documentation for the first Sport England application today, thanks to some help from my colleagues around the club (with special thanks to Phil Marshall and Alan and Sue Cox) and also completed a second grant application this evening that, if successful, would purchase essential equipment fo the club. A second application to Sport England, for a different (more important) project) gets underway next week.

We are working hard to push this club forward on and off the pitch and WILL get there.

After all the hassles in the last few years, it would be fully deserved if the club folks' efforts resulted in a Sport England grant. I agree to be corrected on this, but the Council have apparently done next to nothing to help the club, even to the point of refusing tangerine seats in the main stand as they wouldn't be 'aesthetically pleasing', and I seem to recall the cricket / hockey club down the road was given a lottery grant in excess of £600,000 whereas the football club's applications received a grand total of zero.

I hope the press secretary 'mailshot' with the universities bears fruit. Although the lucky applicant won't be salaried, remind them that their prose will be seen in the national (non-League) press, they'll watch free football and get free food and drink in the clubhouse each game (probably worth £15-20 in itself every game) plus, with the lads we've got in the team, their social skills will know new boundaries!

Also, is there a way to put the Twitter link and latest conversation stream nearer the top or down one side of the front page, rather than right down at the bottom?

Well, I have found a way to do it, but it means the Twitter feed will now only appear on the front page and not the rest of the site, as will the images at the foot of the page. I think this improves the look of the site overall, as the new footer images are very specific sizes.

Archived