Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Reading v Windsor

Fuzzy Royal

So, what was it like, well........

First 5 mins Windsor looked a bit disjointed, but once Humpty figured out we were in white things picked up.

Windsor pretty much dominated the first half, and then Reading got a penalty. I think it was a penalty although difficult to see from the other end of the pitch but no one really complained. Reading put it away nicely.

But the thing I noticed was that Windsor didn't drop their heads, if anything they upped their game and got their reward with two goals coming very close together. Ellis is looking better and better at the back and some of the new players are really settling down well. At half time at 2-1 I thought Windsor looked good for the scoreline and Reading just looked poor.

The second half we again dominated but gave Reading too many chances to get back into the game, sloppy passing and giving the ball away too easily. But the attitude was superb and that has been something evident in the players since Woodham has been in charge.

We are still a few players short of a fully rounded good team, but we have some very talented players who are playing well in the team.

so about 43 people saw the game, not a great game but a solid win. Officiating was poor, the pitch looked okay but seemed to bobble the ball around, so maybe not so good. The covered terracing behind the goal is far too far from the pitch, but parking was more than adequate. what did seem to throw most Windsor fans was as you approach the ground there is a massive sign saying "Stadium this way", how confusing to follow the sign only to realise it is a company called Stadium. Very cunning way to confuse the opposition on match day ;-)

There was also rumour of a badger hiding in the undergrowth, but I think that was just a rumour (or Fraser?)

Indeed ellis with a screamer, not sure he looked totally in control of it when he hit it, but benefit of the doubt lets call it a wonder strike.

Ben Harris, beats the offside trap (we were caught offfside a lot) rounds the keeper and to a man the Windsor fans were waiting for teh ball to pop up on the surface and Ben to swat the ball wide, but his composure showed through and he placed the ball home.

Quote of the night to the ref: In about the 9th minute of injury time the ref is looking at his watch intently, maybe wonderingwhat Mickey is pointing at with his big hand, when some wag from behind the goal shouts " has the light broken on your watch" the ref looks up slowly, stares intently at the fan and replies "yes". his wry smile maybe indicating his light was indeed working, I fear that was the highlight of the second half, sigh...

Fair summary Fuzzy. Not a great game but Windsor attitude saw us through. Very impressed at the work rate and desire.

Interesting thread on Slough forum regarding a possible ground switch for the replay with Mansfield. Mind you, how many Mansfield fans will make that journey on a midweek evening? Doubt they'll fancy the SYCOB pitch - if they get to see it before the game. I sense an upset and seeing Slough in Round 2! Good luck to them.

Just thought I'd come on and say in response to fuzzy's comments that I am sorry if you thought my team of officials put in a poor performance, but the managers and players of both clubs seemed very happy. Had a good chat with Mick after the game as well.

Good luck in the next round and I will try to get a new light so I can correctly see mickey's hand going forward, as it only seemed to go 4 minutes past the 45 and not 9 as you seemed to think.

A welcome visitor, and a possible first, to the Windsor Forum....A referee!!!

I'm afraid I would stand by my comments on performance from the officials, but would also praise anyone brave enough to stand in the middle and take charge of a game.

Its all about opinions and perspective and being in the middle is clearly different from watching YOUR team from the side. But it is nice to know that officals have a look on message boards and are just football people, maybe something most of us (myself clearly included) forget every now and then.;

well Erniem, have a great season and thank you for taking the time to post on our messageboard, sorry if I caused you any offence with my comments and maybe we will see you at Stag Meadow later this season and we can syncronise watches ;-)

Archived