Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 2 Rovers 2

Swifty

When does a draw after being two up almost feel like a win? Today, when we finished with nine men. I don't think we'll be winning the Fair Play League this season!

On a strength-sapping pitch and in horrible rainy conditions, we played some lovely stuff in the first half, typified by our goals in the 10th and 29th, beautifully finished by Bitz and Matt after great support work by Alex and Sammy respectively. Barton played some nice stuff as well, but we looked comfy and odds-on winners until the first talking point. In first half stoppage time. Ant got sent off for headbutting Barton's number 10, who went down theatrically. I didn't see the incident, but one or two thought both players might have butted. Sadly, Ant did himself absolutely no favours by remonstrating for at least 30 seconds, maybe a minute, and refusing to leave the pitch straight away. It was, frankly, embarrassing.

All of a sudden we were on the backfoot. Sammy was subbed in the break for Robbie with Harry moving into defence (a shame for Sammy as he played well in the first half) and we played far too deep for long spells. We didn't help ourselves by giving away a free kick just outside the box and then one of the wall handling the kick in the area, giving that 10 a goal from the spot in the 65th. We had the odd chance here and there (Joe having it saved one-on-one 25 yards out when maybe he should have rounded the keeper, who did very well to kick the intended cross-field pass away), but it was to be expected when Barton's 9 scored in the 79th.

Despite not having been an overly dirty game, it had been a bit niggly (Barton's bench were atrocious - mouthy, foul-mouthed and getting on to the pitch at the first opportunity - and their captain was a whinging disgrace), and we could have lost Matt for a rash challenge. Then, in the 83rd, another rash challenge by one of our lads ended in a melee during which Barton's 9 landed a punch. Somehow, that wasn't even seen or dealt with by the officials, but Matt got a second yellow for dissent.

It has to be said at this stage that the ref had been awful, failing to keep up with play despite looking one of the younger refs we've had recently, and over-ruling for fouls not given by the lino ten yards away from the 'infringement' and a good 20 to 30 closer than the ref. His failure to send the Barton 9 off confirmed how bad he was, and the lino on the standing terrace side blotted his copybook big time by doing nothing when he would have had a clear view of the punch.

Barton could have won the match but for a couple of great saves by Macca, an excellent goal-line clearance by Alex and some dogged defending as well by Jim, Russ and Harry, but we gave Barton some scares late on. Javonne came on for a determined cameo at the end, as did brick outhouse midfielder Nathan Cooper, making his debut and looking a right handful. We deserved a point for not just hanging on in the face of adversity, but going close to an improbable win at the end.

Barton had only drawn one League game away this season before today. I think they'll remember this one more!

Eddie - a fair summing up.

I think the referee and one (at least) linesmen (not assistants in my opinion) were weak and a disgrace. The masse melee that resulted in Matt Baxter being sent off, could have seen 4 players being shown red cards with little argument. Let's hope this is the last we have seen of the referee for many years.

Little jobsworth pricks we do not need to officiate at this level, or even Sunday park games. Do me a favour, please.

In my anger about the incompetence of the officials (well, two of them at least), I forgot the praise for Macca, Weighty and Joe Bennett, all of whom may have rightly contested a mention as Man of the Match. Well done, gents.

I think those three lads were certainly in with a shout for MOTM, though I'd also include Alex for his excellent left wing run and cross for the opener, the goal-line clearance and the way he handled and (when he got the chance) controlled play down the left flank.

I would give the man of the match to Andy Dudley. A smashing bacon cheese burger at half time!

Seriously, it would be difficult to pick one out of that battling performance. We are a real team who give everything. Roll on Chertsey!

Archived