Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

BTFC Artifical Pitch?

Mack

promotion wouldn't be allowed, conference don't allow them

I think there will be pressure brought to bear to see this change..

Good enough for Internationals and Champions League but not for Conference South or the FA Youth Cup.

I’m sure if we had money available to be able to further a 3G pitch then the club would (quite rightly in my opinion) have other priorities to address first.  Frustrating as it seems why can’t we just be patient and see the outcome of the hard work that Steve and others have recently put into the pitch but, as has been written elsewhere, requires it to dry out before we can reap the benefit of their labours. A drying wind would be nice. 

Surprised someone hasn't suggested a closing roof - we could all have a whip round ( lol )

No - what is needed is some common sense about the definition of playable and unplayable. When I was a wee lad, I remember a FA Cup Semi at White Hart Lane between Chelsea and Watford. The pitch that day had more sand than grass but it didn't stop Peter Osgood bagging four goals.

I find it strange that these referees are happy to declare a wet pitch unfit, yet in Summer, when the grounds may be rock hard ( and therefore potentially more dangerous) they never give it a second thought. Perhaps if there are any Ryman League refs reading this, you could give us your views ( anonomously of course)

Obviously the fact that the league above does not allow them is an issue however with the current state of finances across the football world this may end up changing.

Like mcth said if its good enough for the champions league.

For me the pros outweigh the cons.

Pros

• For starters I'm sure maintenace costs would be reduced.
  • The main pitch would become a training facility for the first team.
  • An increase in revenue could be aceihved but renting the pitch out to local teams for training and games. Some artificial pitches charge approximately £35-£40 per 1/3 of the pitch. So a 7-10pm weekday evening could bring in approximtely £360. Plus potential increased sales in bar.
  • Massively reduced number of games called off.
  • True playing surface meaning we could play attractive football on the ground. 

Cons

• Initial outlay. However having just spent £30k on the pitch
  • As the rules stand we couldn't play on it in the league above

I think its worth at least considering!

..this subject appears to be ripe for a comment!..I like Bill's suggestion of the tarp but it will probably take the floodlights off to Lake Meadows when it gets breezy!

On the pitch, I do remember how bad it was back in the Essex Senior days and how much work (and money) has been put into it over the years.

Having just spent 6 weeks in the UK I was looking forward to taking my 7 year old son to a home game so he could suffer, sorry enjoy the mighty blues first hand, just as I did over a period of 30+ years.

However we only saw 2 games both of which were away (East Thurrock and then at Hornchurch on Boxing Day) in that 6 week period.

Both those games were played on pitches that were muddy and whilst I never got to see the New Lodge pitch I wonder if it really is any worse?

I'm not a plastic pitch fan but clearly from both the blogs on this forum and by Steve on the website, there seems to be a lot of inconsistent decisions.

Is this something that the Blues (and indeed the other teams directly affected) can raise with the Ryman League commitee and or FA referee panel?

As an aside my son enjoyed both games even if he was a little "confused" by the scoring and did unfortunately come away with a few "extra" verbs which i hope he will not be repeating at school when he returns!

C'mon you blues!!!!

:rain:

Artificial pitches would certainly suit many of today's plastic players ie great players of old would turn in their graves to see coloured (pink ?!) glossy boots (slippers), girly tights, gloves, Alice bands, buns or pony-tails, ear-studs & vests under their shirts - More suited to a model catwalk than a proper football pitch !!  :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived