Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 3 Baggies 2

Swifty

A superb win, and a compelling match against talented opponents on a pitch which performed magnificently after the pre-match deluge.

We could have scored more, but Baggies keeper Sam Somerville made some very crucial saves, while Tyler and our back four did well to keep out a rampant Lea attack, especially with the game on a knife-edge at 3-2. There were some late tackles early doors, maybe mistimed due to the conditions, but the ref did well to stamp out any lingering problems by booking two Baggies and one of our lads, though another of our lads surprisingly avoided an early yellow card for a similar offence. After that, the game flowed smoothly and enjoyably, like that bottle of Black Sheep I had before the match.

We took a very useful two goal lead, with Dan Fleming getting a poacher's goal in the 12th and Jack Mullan zipping across the goal face to knock home a 24th minute corner at the near post. Badshot Lea were always a handful, and they got back into it when Tyler just about saved a greasy ball shot and scooped it off the line, but into the path of Dan Simmonds who hit it low into the opposite corner from ten yards out in the 32nd.

We restored the two goal lead with arguably the best direct free kick of the season thus far in the 51st, a 20 yard sizzling looper from Dan Fleming which beat Lea's quality keeper all ends up. We seemed to be comfy but, in the 76th, the 'lino' spotted a handball which the ref had missed and, despite Tyler getting a good hand to it, Danny Turner's low penalty to the left had too much force to be kept out. Fine tactical move by Ben to bring Conor Moody on for a bit of beef and stability for those urgent last minutes.

Those last 22 minutes (including eight minutes' stoppage time) were nail-biting, and the intensity increased when Samad Kazi was pushed from behind when clean through in the 83rd. Ben Hutchings saw red, but Dan Fleming sidefooted the penalty two feet over the bar and that allowed the visitors to get the wind under their tails. Thankfully, our lads saw the game out in fine style and could have added at least another to the score line. Dan's penalty miss probably loses him the man of the match vote for me, sadly. Excaliber thought Jack Mullan's aerial supremacy and goal probably gave him the nod, and it's not a bad shout.

Keep an eye out for Badshot Lea. They could be a dark horse in the final placings on recent form and if this display's anything to go by. Having said that, utmost credit for our lads for handing the visitors only their second non-win in seven matches. Excellent display. Well done, lads.

Another superb performance from the team against very capable opposition. Good to see Samad regaining his confidence and beginning to play in the way we all know he can. Congratulations to all the ground staff for the magnificent condition of the pitch,it's a credit to them well done.

Hi Swifty , fantastic game and win against a very good Badshot Lea side who are no mugs and will have a lot to say when the season gets to squeekie bum time.

Well done to Dan Fleming 2 goals including that brilliant free kick, I my opinion almost made him man of the match, but sometimes it`s not about the glory of knocking the goals in, no good scoring 3 and then let in 4, you must have a strong defence as well and yesterday we had that 

and for me the standout defender and man of the match was Jack Mullen with his excellent all round display and goal just to cap it off.

Well done to the whole team for a strong display and 3 points in the bag.

PS before I go I thought the ref had a excellent game and kept it under control when at times it could have got out of hand. 

PPS how did our main rivals do?

PPS What has happened to Bitz?

Bitz is still injured, it's taking a bit longer than expected for him to recover. Good to see Elz on the bench yesterday, though I think Joe Green has found his feet and improved greatly in the last couple of matches

Cove. Molesey and Windsor all won by a single goal margin yesterday - according to their opponents' Twitter feed, Cove won with their only shot on target in the match - and Spelthorne Sports won by a two goal margin. We're still four points behind Cove with two games in hand.. 

Archived