Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 1 Field 2

Swifty

Yet another home League defeat. In truth, we only deserved a draw at best, against a Westfield side who were workmanlike and had just a touch of the Epsom and Ewells about them, but they showed purpose and guile, whereas we didn't fire on all cylinders, though we did play some attractive stuff in the second half. Very difficult, admittedly, with Dan and Bitz out injured and Phil only on the bench (possibly due to arriving late), and the effort was there from both teams on a difficult pitch, but we didn't have enough in the bag. The shame is that, had we shown the shame urgency and determination in the first 85 minutes of normal time as we did for the last five, we may well have fashioned a win.

The first half was sponsored by Horlicks, though we were unlucky not to take a first half lead thanks to an excellent header off the line. Phil Moore's arrowed shot into the corner in the 57th looked to have been enough to settle the game for Westfield, who then caused our defenders to make a couple of superb goal-saving clearances, but we piled on the pressure very late on, and a wonderful 50 yard cross field pass and some fine wing play saw Sammy slide the ball home almost on the goal line for an 86th minute equaliser. Just when it looked like we'd ground out a draw, Moore was left in too much space, and he hit another corker into the corner in the 92nd minute.

Too many home league defeats in a short space of time, which is a shame. Still, we all knew this season would be a steep learning curve. 

Oh dear what a shambles it was embarrassing to watch , I was told this was the  2nd half line up that came out at Leatherhead and turned that game around with a stunning display,

if that is the case I can see why Ben Murray stuck with them , so why then did that same team go and put in such a lack lustre display? 

I must question as to why big Phil was left sitting on the bench for so long when it became obvious we were not playing well and changes needed to be made.

Just a few bright spots from such a poor game , Max Webb, moved from midfield and used as a stand-in striker was doing well, but had little support, Sammad looks in sharp form and he did well to get Ashford`s only goal.

I have no problem with Ashford loosing, but it hurts when they put in a display like this and we all know  how well Ashford can play.  

Very little to add. Just need to get back to winning ways sooner than later. I'm hoping Bitz and Dan will be back soon, as Jacks suspension will be coming up and that will leave us short of options in attack.

Oh dear what a shambles it was embarrassing to watch , I was told this was the  2nd half line up that came out at Leatherhead and turned that game around with a stunning display,

if that is the case I can see why Ben Murray stuck with them , so why then did that same team go and put in such a lack lustre display? 

I must question as to why big Phil was left sitting on the bench for so long when it became obvious we were not playing well and changes needed to be made.

Just a few bright spots from such a poor game , Max Webb, moved from midfield and used as a stand-in striker was doing well, but had little support, Sammad looks in sharp form and he did well to get Ashford`s only goal.

I have no problem with Ashford loosing, but it hurts when they put in a display like this and we know

Smoking-gun, I'm assistant manager at Westfield. While I understand your frustration that your guts didn't play well, I think we deserve a lot more credit for not allowing them to. Don't forget there's always 11 lads in the opposition who will try and do all they can to stop you doing what you want to do. We defended better and had more threat going forwards and deserved our win. You've had a fine season so far and still stand a chance of the title and silverware in the cups. It's not all bad mate. All the best for the rest of the season - great club, always has been.

Hello Dave, nice of you to reply to my post, please understand I did not mean any disrespect to you,or the players and staff of Westfield,and yes Westfield put in a fine display and deserved the win.

Having read the match report on Ashford`s cup game against Leatherhead and how well they did, I was hoping that Ashford would carry that form into the game against Westfield, when this did not happen I found the game very disappointing and frustrating, and completely overlooked just what a good game your boys had.

I wish Westfield(who have one of the best grounds I have been to) all the best for the remainder of the season.

Very little to add. Just need to get back to winning ways sooner than later. I'm hoping Bitz and Dan will be back soon, as Jacks suspension will be coming up and that will leave us short of options in attack.

I see where you're coming from, but we should be okay. Sammy can play anywhere except in goal (maybe he's good in that position too!), Max has demonstrated he can play midfield or striker, and Big Phil could play the plunderer's role up front. 

Nice mention of the new generation of Ashford supporters in the programme. Just a shame the main lad mentioned didn't appear to have his scarf, which had been lauded in the write -up!   :D

PS - I know you like a bit of that Northern Soul.... the next one at Kingston Working Men's Club (behind Wilko / the old C&A) is on Saturday 21st March. Get your Fred Perry ready!

Hello Dave, nice of you to reply to my post, please understand I did not mean any disrespect to you,or the players and staff of Westfield,and yes Westfield put in a fine display and deserved the win.

Having read the match report on Ashford`s cup game against Leatherhead and how well they did, I was hoping that Ashford would carry that form into the game against Westfield, when this did not happen I found the game very disappointing and frustrating, and completely overlooked just what a good game your boys had.

I wish Westfield(who have one of the best grounds I have been to) all the best for the remainder of the season.

I was defending your boys really as they've fantastically well this season - something that will carry on beyond now to be honest. Hope Russell Canderton is ok and his pull isn't as bad as it maybe appeared yesterday. All the best, Dave.

Archived