Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

HORNCHURCH 2 VCD 0 - report


Recommended Posts

Saturday 31-January-2015





1 – Sam Mott

2 – Billy Coyne

3 – Chris Bourne

4 – Elliot Styles ©

5 – Billy Roast

6 – Frankie Curley

7 – Tobi Joseph – sub Danny Johnson 59

8 – Thomas Gogo – sub Martin Tuohy 68

9 – Kieran Bishop

10 – George Purcell

11 – Junior Luke – sub Joey May 69


subs –

Courtney Homans

Nnamdi Nwachuku



1 – Nick Blue

2 – Elliot Cox

3 – Grant Basey

4 – Nick Reeves

5 – Lewis Tozer – sub Taylor McDOnagh 40

6 – Les Dawson ©

7 – Dean Carpenter

8 – Aaron Jeffrey

9 – Leigh Bremner – sub Michael Power 69

10 – Mikhail Kennedy

11 – Stephen Rhys Brown – sub James Duckworth 78


subs –

Karl Dent

Sean Roberts



Lee Forrester – previously referee at East Thurrock 9/8/14

Corey Snuggs – no previous HFC matches

Jack Bloxham – no previous HFC matches



Johnson 87

Purcell 90+5



Purcell 39 (H)

Bourne 42 (H)

Carpenter 54 (VCD)

McDonagh 85 (VCD)

Cox 90+4 (VCD) – OFF


Attendance 112

Duration 46.46 + 50.19

Weather – 4 degrees, sleet showers, wind speed up to 20mph




It was thanks to an excellent display by visiting goalkeeper Nick Blue that the visitors were able to hold out until the final few minutes of a match, played on a very heavy surface amid sleet showers and with a strong downfield wind.


Hornchurch could have taken the lead inside thirty seconds, when a shot by Chris Bourne from a narrow angle skimmed past the far post, and a minute later Kieran Bishop played the ball across to an unmarked George Purcell, who was unable to co get his shot in as the ball bobbled awkwardly in front of him.


After a promising start VCD came more into the match as an attacking force, and Sam Mott saved well from Mikhail Kennedy, touching the shot around the post for a corner.


A good run by Tobi Joseph ended in a corner thanks to a timely tackle by Grant Basey, whilst Billy Coyne did well to concede a corner when Kennedy again threatened to break through. And when Kennedy, shortly afterwards, sent a dangerous free kick into the goalmouth, Hornchurch survived a handball appeal when the ball hit Billy Roast.


Play was mainly at the VCD end of the ground, and Joseph headed over from a Bishop centre, whilst Blue made a magnificent save from a long range shot by George Purcell, turning the ball out for a corner. Thomas Gogo sent the ball over to Junior Luke, who fired wide.


Sam Mott was called again into action, tipping a well-directed shot from Kennedy over the bar for a corner.


Six minutes before the interval, George Purcell was sent crashing down inside the area, but instead of the anticipated penalty, the referee showed a yellow card to Purcell and awarded VCD a free kick.


Close to half time Blue saved well from Purcell, and it was Purcell who almost opened the scoring just twenty seconds into the second half, when his shot was scrambled off the line.


Back at the other end Sam Mott dived to turn a Grant Basey free kick around the post, and hen play became concentrated again at the other end. Hornchurch were awarded a free kick ten yards outside the area, and Blue made an excellent diving save to tip the ball over the bar when George Purcell’s shot beat the wall.


Manager Jim MacFarlane made the first substitution, Danny Johnson for Tobi Joseph.


Thomas Gogo almost opened the scoring with a well flighted free kick from the left, which Blue tipped over the bar, and a long throw by Billy Coyne caused confusion before the b all was eventually scrambled out for yet another corner.


Martin Tuohy came on for Gogo, and Joey May replaced Junior Luke, in what was an inspired series of substitutions.


Martin Tuohy forced another good save by Blue, and from the resultant corner, Joey May floated the ball over for Elliot Styles, who headed narrowly wide.


Taylor McDonagh was shown a yellow card, and the free kick led to the opening goal. Joey May floated the ball towards the far post where Danny Johnson was ideally placed to head home, via a post.


Hornchurch defended well in stoppage time, in the fourth minute of which Elliot Cox received a red card for speaking out of turn to the referee. And from the free kick which was awarded at the same time, the ball was played upfield for George Purcell who calmly ran on to slot the ball past Nick Blue for the decisive goal which secured the three much-needed and much-welcome points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I forgot to mention that George Purcell's goal was his 50th for Hornchurch, in 85 appearances.


Billy Coyne played his 199th match yesterday for Hornchurch.


And Nnamdi Nwachuku was signed during the week - he was with Colchester Utd, and has had loan spells at Bury Town and twice at Leiston. Last season he played nine matches for Bury Town and scored three goals, and prior to that he was with Leiston (on loan), where he scored one goal in his five appearances. he has also played for Leiston this season, when he was signed on loan in September.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...