Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 2 Farnham Town 1

Swifty

A bit of a strange game, where we should have been out of sight by half time but eventually managed a deserved win, even though Farnham looked to have a very good shout for a penalty right at the end. Nice to see another team come and play decent football, even though both sides amassed some daft cards near the end - am I right in thinking Farnham's number 6 got a second yellow from the dugout having been subbed? Having said that, the ref wasn't overfussy yet stamped his authority enough to let everyone know who was in charge - he did well.

We had four or five good efforts in the first half which were hit directly at keeper Matt Petts, plus one excellently cleared off the line, and Farnham were restricted to just a couple of efforts before the break but could, maybe should, have scored at least one of them. When Beads' deft touch let Bitz in for the opener barely thirty seconds after the restart, we thought we could push on. Instead, Luke Whiddett scored a neatly taken equaliser in the 50th. Thankfully, Beads was put through for a clinical one-on-one finish just two minutes later. It was surprising the scoring ended there. Petts made some fine saves to restrict us to two, while Farnham had a clutch of good efforts and nearly made us pay the price.

A fortunate win? A win by an unnecessarily close margin? Possibly both. A win? Yes, and I'll take that.

PS - My sponsorship deal's been sorted. Step forward, Harry Driver!

I think we could have been out of sight in the first half. Some excellent football and a great bounce back after the weekend. I think when it clicks someone is going to be on the end a real hiding.

I was impressed with the ref who handled the game well and didn't allow the verbals to go unpunished. Which was chalk and cheese from the ref that handled the Chessy v Hanworth villa match who took insult after insult without nipping it in the bud.

Praise where it's due, last nights officials were strong and did well.

Hi all, what an excellent game to watch,full of attacking play and solid defending,with Joe Green giving an outstanding display,he hardly put a foot wrong,and to me was Ashford's Man of the match.The forwards created chance after chance and Farnham did well to stand up to the battering.

With the score at 2-1 and time running out,Farnham pushed hard to try and get an equaliser and were unlucky not to get a penalty when Russ Canderton bundled over Farnham's forward,from where I was it looked a nailed on penalty,but the ref said no,some you win,some you don't.

Hard to see how Farnham are near the bottom of the table,judging on their performance last night.

Well done to the boy's,that's 7 league wins on the trot.see you all on Saturday.

I have to say Joe looked top value attacking down the flank late in the second half, with one of his sorties following a superb last-ditch backheel flick to safety after which he belted down the wing. That was the most impressive performance I've seen Joe give us.

Talking of chaps named Joe, does anyone know if Mister Green and / or Mister Robson have nicknames, so we can use them to ensure the right player gets encouragement from the terraces? 

As Brady says on the website, we seem to have played a surfeit of teams near the foot of the table but you don't get anywhere losing points to teams near the bottom so the lads are doing plenty right, and the standard of teams near the bottom of our table thus far's been astounding. One or two performances aside, they've given us a game befitting of a team much nearer the top.

A very enjoyable game, the Farnham keeper was top draw and a decent lad to have some chat and banter with...

Some very slick football from The Ashford boys with Bayley having an outstanding game and certainly got MOM from the behind the goal gang  :cheerleader: Even from the far end of the pitch it looked a "stick on" penalty when Russ bundled their player over but we deserved the win and could have a few more on another day.... Credit Farnham for playing decent football as well  :)

Archived