Welcome to the new software - Please read! Read more... ×
Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  
behindthegoal

UNWELCOME ELEMENT

Before anyone else points it out, I'll do the pedantry on my own post. In my entry, a little bit further up the thread, I meant the UVF when I referred to the UDF.

Graham S

Just to finish off my point, "Behindthegoal." Thats exactly what the Police would have been briefed to do! They are there to prevent breaches of the peace and to step in ONLY when the official stewards are unable to do their job properly. Its the way grounds are Policed Countrywide. Obviously the higher you go the more professional it gets!

The amount of Police inside the ground would have been worked out beforehand and there would have been a lot more on standby in the area. This is a direct result of heavy-handed tactics employed by the Police during the 70s and 80s, something I had direct experience of! It became apparent that too many uniformed Officers caused more tension and therefore potential for violence than good stewarding by club personnel. The comments regarding the amount of Officers on duty at the Daggers match is a good example of this. By and large it works well and there is seldom trouble inside grounds thesedays, although there are occasional blips.

Hope that clears that up. BTW Ithought the stewards on duty on Saturday did a bloody good job and deserve praise for their efforts.

Quote:
behindthegoal said:
After some of the chanting a sterward did ask the group to calm it down and to be fair they did shut up a bit.

Strictly speaking though, they should have been ejected from the ground for what they chanted (I must stress that I didn't hear the chanting - I'm just going on what behindthegoal and Jimmy have said), if clubs are really going to be serious about putting campaigns like 'Let's Kick Racism Out Of Football' into practice.

Quote:
FleetFanatic said:
Quote:
Jimmy said:
These goonbags also chanted:
"Let's all kill a Kosovan"

Outrageous - they could have at least arranged for a coachload!

sneaky.gif

Quote:
FleetFanatic said:
Quote:
Jimmy said:
These goonbags also chanted:
"Let's all kill a Kosovan"

Outrageous - they could have at least arranged for a coachload!

Seriously though - maybe instead of want to kill a Kosavan, we should encourage them and every other ethnic minority down to Stonebridge Road. If just a small percentage of the ethnic minority groups came then our gates would go through the roof. The scum chanting as described above may be just the reason why they don't.

Somewhat selective quoting from Mr. Longshanks, then.

Although I personally wouldn’t choose to draw attention to myself by chanting songs like that I must admit I do find it quite funny – that’s not to say that I find this behaviour acceptable though.

At the end of the day if people were that bothered about it then why didn’t they report it to a steward at the time or say something to the lads?

Quote:
FleetFanatic said:
I would have said that it is obvious why the quote was very selective.

True enough.