Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tonbridge Angels v Enfield Town

seemgee

What a fantastic advertisement for non league football! First away match I have been to on the supporters (and players) coach for many a year - brought back happy memories of journeys all over the country watching the old EFC.

Hadn't been to Tonbridge's ground before - very impressive. First class playing surface that allowed both teams to play skilful, probing, attacking football.

Town starting line-up was strong. We have an excellent midfield and I thought giving Sam Youngs license to push forward to support Bricknell worked well. Not easy being the lone forward away from home but Bricknell worked hard off the ball, often tying up 2 Tonbridge centre-backs and creating space for late arriving midfielders like Youngs, Blackman and Johnson. He (Bricknell) makes clever runs and when Youngs and Blackman in particular start seeing those runs earlier, he's going to get on the end of plenty of chances away from home.

Our back 4 looked very solid and defended so well as a unit. First half both sides were well matched with not too many clear cut chances. Both keepers making good saves when called upon. The build up to Blackman's goal was one of several excellent spells of possession for the Town, and the goal was struck beautifully. I was standing at the side so only realised we had scored when the net bulged. The travelling ETFC fans standing behind the goal must have had a great view of the half volley flying into the net! Terrific support by the way - completely out sang the home crowd from start to finish and must have been a great fillip for the players.

Second half I thought we played even better. Managed the game extremely well after Taofiq's bullet of a header and should have made the game completely safe by taking at least 1 of the clear cut chances we created, especially in the last few minutes after Tonbridge scored.

If we can transfer the quality of that performance to our home games, we are definitely play off contenders if not up there challenging for the title.

Due to work commitments I won't get to another game until March but hope we are right up there when I'm next back.

6 hours ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

it proves that with good editing the camera can lie. It was if the Town only played for 4/5 minutes whilst Tonbridge run riot. Never mind we know the truth!!!!!!   

I was thinking exactly the same.

Archived