Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Non League Football Show

So what did we think then, I can't remember when I have had a more enjoyable two hours listening, apart from last week's BBC Three Counties Radio Non League Show that is, I don't know how Ollie Bayliss manages to do it but he really captivates a radio audience and is clearly going all the way with the BBC if that is the career path he wants to follow. This week there was an interesting feature about St Albans City and an interview with their co-owner Lawrence Levy, Ollie was in attendance at yesterday's Aylesbury United v Long Crendon FA Cup Preliminary Round tie and Ducks supremo Ben Williams came across well as did Long Crendon boss Ryan Davis. Penn & Tylers Green, Burnham and AFC Dunstable were also featured and AFC Dunstable won team of the week following their 5-1 win at Thatcham Town, all the local SSML Club's got a brief mention. Next Sunday afternoon can't come soon enough.

On 13/09/2020 at 23:27, Karen Browne said:

You should e-mail him and ask to be on it

Karen - Thanks for the suggestion, Ollie doesn't seem to have 'studio guests' on his show other than a co-presenter occasionally who is usually a Chairman, Manager, Coach or Player which obviously I'm not, anyway I wouldn't dream of stealing your thunder as you are widely known as the 'Motty' of the SSML.

There was a film back in the late 70's called 'Thank God It's Friday', it's a shame it wasn't called 'Thank God It's Sunday' as I'm sure that's how everyone is feeling with Ollie Bayliss's BBC Three Counties Radio Non League Show back on air, this afternoon's show at 2.00pm should be a great listen as Ollie has been to Haywood Way and Elmfields Gate since last week:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08qvdzh

Edited by Rhodes

So who listened to it then, it was the best Non League Show yet in its new two hour Sunday afternoon format as there was so much about the SSML, Ollie Bayliss is really helping to spread the gospel with his show and having celebrity guest Russell Grant on today helped, unfortunately nowadays people only associate Russell with Strictly Come Dancing, when he partnered 'Queen of the ballroom' Flavia Cacace in 2011, however there's far more to him than that. There was a lengthy interview with Lee Bircham who remembered his time at Bovingdon fondly, it was surprising to hear that he would have walked away from Broadwater anyway at the end of last season even if Hemel Hempstead Town hadn't come calling as he felt he had taken Berkhamsted as far as he could. There were interesting interviews with Mark Eaton and Paul Alleyne following the FA Vase tie on Saturday as Ollie was at Elmfields Gate, Paul was clearly disappointed by Winslow United's 3-0 defeat but looking forward to the SSML Division One campaign ahead starting at home to Rayners Lane tomorrow evening. There was an excellent interview with new Ampthill Town boss Lee Hawkes who came across as far older than his 23 years, clearly Chairman Gary Maidment knew exactly what he was doing handing him the reins at Ampthill Park and Lee admitted that is just wasn't working with Rob Russell during pre-season, Lee also took part in 'guess the gate' with Ollie and got six out of eight correct. Lastly there was a great interview with Milton Keynes Irish assistant boss Glyn Creaser, who came across really well, he was raving about Manor Fields and the facility which he and Terry Shrieves could well turn into a fortress this season, Milton Keynes Irish won team of the week following their 6-0 win at Thame Rangers on Friday. I just wish that it could be next Sunday already.

Edited by Rhodes

On 26/06/2020 at 14:26, Savagebee said:

November or December ??

Savagebee - It's strange as this great photo of Ollie Bayliss seems to have disappeared from the thread, I'm still trying to work out whether it was taken in either November or December, it can't be October as the leaves are too well troden in aren't they. Do you think there could be a possibility that it might be January, Ollie is also well wrapped up against the elements so that might rule out November which isn't usually that cold:

image.jpeg.7a7fbb30f897139da6402b5e7b739308.jpeg

I'm sure I am wasting my time posting a reminder about Ollie Bayliss's BBC Three Counties Radio Non League Show this afternoon at 2.00pm, Ollie is staying tight lipped about what is on the show however I gather he was at Valley Parade yesterday doing a commentary on the Bradford City v Stevenage League 2 game which will be interesting to hear about as three Stevenage players tested positive for Covid-19 beforehand yet the game still went ahead. Also Ollie won't have been happy with his beloved Aylesbury United's tame FA Cup First Qualifying Round exit this week, on penalties to Moneyfields, so no doubt he will have something to say about that:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08rjrhh

Bulletin folks, I have it on good authority that Ollie will discuss the National League on the show later, the FA Cup, fans in stadiums and, wait for it, Bedford Town will be featured, I'm just wondering whether Ollie will have lined up an interview with Mark Ducket, surely not but you never know. Also on the show will be Boreham Wood with possibly their controversial Chairman Danny Hunter interviewed , a feature on Sarratt which will be interesting and to top it all Leighton Town, roll on 2.00pm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_three_counties_radio

So what did we think then folks, I'm still shaking my head over 24 hours later as it was possibly the best two hours radio I've ever listened to especially Joe Sweeney's interview which appeared to be live rather than recorded, maybe 'Joes' will confirm on here. Joe Sweeney really comes across as an amazing guy and hopefully he will remain at Bell Close for years to come unless of course he is poached by a Club higher up the Pyramid and made an offer he can't refuse such as Lee Bircham and Chris Devane recently. Anyway first up on the show was a lengthy interview with controversial Boreham Wood Chairman Danny Hunter who certainly talks a good game until the cows come home but at the end of the day he has all of Arsenal's millions in his back pocket unlike other Club's who are genuinely fighting for their very survival. Harpenden Town striker Jake Anthony and goalkeeper Alex Desmond were interviewed and they are hoping for big things at Rothamsted Park this season, an FA Cup statistician was on the show which was quite interesting and he put Karen to shame with his knowledge and use of statistics. Unfortunately it was a bit too much to hope for that Ollie would interview Mark Ducket following his sudden resignation at The Eyrie last week, instead, and disappointingly, the interview was with new Bedford Town signing Craig Mackail-Smith who started out at Arlesey Town and has plied his trade with Dagenham & Redbridge, Peterborough United, Brighton, Luton Town, Wycombe Wanderers, Notts County, Stevenage as well as Scotland at International level and has seven caps. I wonder though whether Mackail-Smith's signing had something to do with Mark Ducket leaving and the 'disagreement with the Chairman over player signings'. Sarratt supremo Martin Loakes was interviewed and also appeared to be live on the show, Sarratt were awarded team of the week following their impressive 7-1 win over Mursley United at the King George V Playing Fields on Saturday with four of the goals from Zamar Beckford. Lastly, and coming back to Joe Sweeney, he very enthusiastically took part in the 'guess the gate' feature and got seven out of eight correct with Oxhey Jets v Dunstable Town surprisingly letting him down when he got more difficult ones right, Joe mentioned the very busy October ahead for his team and for a minute I thought he was going to put the blame firmly at Karen's door, she has certainly 'over loaded' every Club next month, not only Leighton Town.

Ollie is great for all of us at step 5, always helps us, always promotes us, and it's always a pleasure doing bits to help him and his show. No moaning from me on the fixtures, the more games the better at the minute, as we had so long out, Im sure it's the same at most places, everyone wants games, shame we haven't got 1 tonight, we were due to have Greenford, but it got put back to later in the season, have no idea why, as we we were open and happy yo play a game. 

Some good games tonight, but I'll be doing a session with the lads, whilst coppo goes over to Biggleswade to watch Leiston ahead of the game on sat. 

Hope your all well ?

It seems like all our Christmas's have come at once with the two hour BBC Three Counties Radio Non League Show on a Sunday afternoon however as an added bonus Ollie Bayliss was interviewed this evening for a weekly Podcast called '90thminutewinner' with Geordie broadcaster Scott Noble and discusses various issues, it's a good listen and Ollie is described as 'the non league saviour' which is actually an under statement:

https://anchor.fm/scott-noble7/episodes/NON-LEAGUE-SAVIOUR---OLLIE-BAYLISS-eka9up

Currently playing episode

Ollie Bayliss was mentioned on BBC Newsnight last night following the Government and National League somewhat surprisingly agreeing funding to support the League, more details will be provided later on today:

It's all happening at the moment isn't it, Ollie Bayliss was on BBC Three Counties Radio this evening giving an update on the current position. The FA is permitting Club's to live stream FA Cup Second Qualifying Round ties on Saturday, if fans are being charged a subscription fee for the stream the profits must be shared evenly between the two Club's involved, where fans are allowed to attend a tie, any gate receipts will be split between the two Club's even where away fans of 'elite Club's are not permitted, it's quite incredible:

Edited by Rhodes

On 30/09/2020 at 01:34, Rhodes said:

It seems like all our Christmas's have come at once with the two hour BBC Three Counties Radio Non League Show on a Sunday afternoon

I'm just wondering who is likely to be featured on Sunday's BBC Three Counties Radio Non League Show, I guess it all hinges on Leighton Town and if they can manage to beat Leiston on Saturday, then Joe Sweeney would hopefully be on again as the Club will only be two rounds away from the First Round proper of the FA Cup. There would be no Club more deserving than Leighton Town if they can get to the First Round for the first time in their history and, better still, be televised at Bell Close which would earn them just under a six figure sum. I expect Hemel Hempstead Town, Kings Langley, Biggleswade FC, Cheshunt, Royston Town, Burnham, Bishop's Stortford, Potters Bar Town, Risborough Rangers and either St Albans City or Hitchin Town, who meet each other, will get a mention on the show if they get through and even if they don't as Ollie Bayliss leaves no stone unturned, it's just a shame that his beloved Aylesbury United are out of the competition as they should have been hosting Cray Wanderers at 'The Meadow' on Saturday.

3 hours ago, Rhodes said:

I'm just wondering who is likely to be featured on Sunday's BBC Three Counties Radio Non League Show, I guess it all hinges on Leighton Town and if they can manage to beat Leiston on Saturday, then Joe Sweeney would hopefully be on again as the Club will only be two rounds away from the First Round proper of the FA Cup. There would be no Club more deserving than Leighton Town if they can get to the First Round for the first time in their history and, better still, be televised at Bell Close which would earn them just under a six figure sum. I expect Hemel Hempstead Town, Kings Langley, Biggleswade FC, Cheshunt, Royston Town, Burnham, Bishop's Stortford, Potters Bar Town, Risborough Rangers and either St Albans City or Hitchin Town, who meet each other, will get a mention on the show if they get through and even if they don't as Ollie Bayliss leaves no stone unturned, it's just a shame that his beloved Aylesbury United are out of the competition as they should have been hosting Cray Wanderers at 'The Meadow' on Saturday.

Best Leiston at home, Hemel away and win, Notts County at home and win. 

Sunderland at home First Round. Yes.

I know there's no need to post a reminder however Ollie Bayliss's BBC Three Counties Radio Non League Show is at 2.00pm this afternoon, again he is playing his cards close to his chest regarding what and who will be featured but all will be revealed later. Of all our local Club's playing in the FA Cup yesterday only Hemel Hempstead Town, Royston Town, Bishop's Stortford and St Albans City made it through to the Third Qualifying Round with Potters Bar Town playing at FA Trophy finalists Concord Rangers today at 3.00pm, maybe Ollie will go live to Thames Road during the show, also Burnham v Whyteleafe was called off yesterday and will be played tomorrow evening (Monday).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08s5ws6

So who listened to it then, don't all rush at once, it was another amazing show yesterday afternoon, the highlight obviously being a great interview with Scott Reynolds at the end who really knows what he's talking about and what he has been brought in to do by Club Chairman and long term friend Tony Checkley who jumped at the chance of bringing Scott to Stratford Fields. He speaks so well and eloquently too unlike Lee Bircham for example who was also on the show and can 'rattle on' nineteen to the dozen although you can see how Lee motivates his players in an old fashioned style, he could well go all the way in the game if he does well at Vauxhall Road and possibly takes Hemel Hempstead Town to the National League. It must have been great for Scott to win team of the week on the show following Buckingham Athletic's impressive 5-1 win over Enfield Borough on Saturday despite going a goal down early on when previous sides from yester year under the likes of James Gunn, Damien Wiffin, Mark Carter and Neil Griffiths would have already thrown in the towel, now you can really feel that things are about to happen and the Club are going places. There were some interesting interviews on the show with Potters Bar Town supremo Leo O'Leary who was shaking his head in disbelief at the antics of the FA where this season's FA Cup is concerned as was the statistician who runs the on-line FA Cup Factfile pages, there's nothing he doesn't know about the competition and really puts Karen to shame with his statistics. Chesham United and Aylesbury United were also featured with Ducks boss Ben Williams getting eight out of eight correct on 'guess the gate' and sadly beating Joe Sweeney's seven out of eight last week, I still don't know how Joe got Oxhey Jets v Dunstable Town wrong. Roll on next Sunday afternoon.

Ollie Bayliss is tight lipped at the moment about what and who will be featured on his eagerly awaited BBC Three Counties Radio Non League Show is at 2.00pm this afternoon however all will be revealed later and I can't wait. I know that he was at Broadwater last Tuesday evening to watch Berkhamsted beat his beloved Aylesbury United 3-2 in the Southern League Division One Central with a Lewis Toomey hat trick so I wonder if Lewis will say a few words although it's usually Management rather than players who are featured. Hopefully Chris Devane will be on as it will be interesting to hear about his transition from Biggleswade United and how it has gone so far, Chris will be glad that his former Club have turned the corner now under Cristian Colas after such a disappointing start to the campaign.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08sv18p

So who listened to it then on Sunday afternoon, it was another really brilliant show and Ollie somehow manages to keep you on the edge of your seat throughout which is unusual for radio, even his music taste is excellent although if I had the choice I would rather have more football chat then music, six songs at an average of three minutes each is eighteen minutes out of the show where Ollie could fit in another feature or guest in that time. Anyway this week kicked off, no pun intended, with a feature on Flackwell Heath who have never been a SSML Club despite being in the catchment area, it was interesting to listen to their Manager Marcus Richardson who really knows his onions. Next up was a feature on funding and the money made available by the Football Foundation during the Covid-19 crisis, it's good that so many SSML Club's have been able to take advantage of it and fill their boots. There was a great interview with Ampthill Town Chairman Gary Maidment who gave his reasons why he handed the Management reins to Lee Hawkes recently at such a young age largely due to his coaching ability, maturity and popularity at Ampthill Park. I thought Ollie was going to ask why Rob Russell was stood down after just a few weeks in charge and it would have been interesting to hear that from the horses mouth however Mr Maidment has already held his hands sky high and said that he made a mistake and Rob Russell wasn't the right man for the hot seat. Ollie was in attendance at Broadwater last Tuesday so it was no surprise that Chris Devane was interviewed and he gave a good insight into his first few months at Berkhamsted after arriving from Second Meadow, it was clearly an offer he couldn't refuse although had he remained with Biggleswade United it would have no doubt guaranteed them Step 4 football next season, perhaps the so called 'Pep Guardiola Of Non League' can still provide that. Chris took part in the 'Guess The Gate' challenge and matched Joe Sweeney's score of seven out of eight, surprisingly getting Kempston Rovers v Yaxley wrong. Coincidentally Tracey James was up next, Chris Devane's favourite person in the whole World, or so it seems, and it was great to listen to Tracey's dulcet and eloquent tones, she talked about the headache and stress the Club have had to endure during Covid-19 as well as the conflicting information received from the Government, FA and the League however talking with other SSML Club's, sharing information and just crying on each other's shoulders has been key. When Ollie asked whether she had been tempted to simply throw in the towel and walk away from Second Meadow with her head held high she said no because 'it's in your blood' which for me said everything. Barton Rovers enthusiastic and likeable Chairman Darren Whiley was a really good listen as was St Albans City supremo Ian Allinson who said the Club are losing money hand over fist at Clarence Park not being allowed to have fans in and the £10 million funding pledged by the Government is unlikely to go far enough, if indeed Club's see any of it at all. Lastly, as was the case on Sunday 20 September, Ollie had Milton Keynes Irish Assistant Manager Glyn Creaser on and you can easily listen to Glyn for the entire two hours of the show, the Club once again walked away with 'Team Of The Week' following their 2-1 FA Vase win at Tithe Farm against Broadfields United on Saturday and Glyn said that things are continuing to tick along nicely at Manor Fields. Perhaps they will even win team of the week again if they can beat Essex Senior League Stansted FC at Manor Fields on 31 October in the First Round Proper.

Ollie Bayliss has set us a conundrum on his Twitter page, he visited a new ground last night but didn't say where it was, if it is a Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire or Hertfordshire Club then they are likely to be featured on next Sunday's eagerly awaited BBC Three Counties Radio Non League Show. Also I'm assuming that should Buckingham Athletic beat Stotfold on Saturday at Stratford Fields then Scott Reynolds men should walk away with 'Team Of The Week' and hopefully Scott will be on the show again, they are already sitting proudly at the top of the Division One table:

Billede