Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Langford

Rather than resurrect the Saturday 5 October results thread, here are a number of photos from the Langford v Shefford Town & Campton SSML Division One fixture that day at Forde Park which the away side surprisingly won 7-2, albeit Langford were on a poor run at that time of the campaign. I think all of us enjoy visiting leafy Forde Park:

Langford FC

56 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Rather than resurrect the Saturday 5 October results thread, here are a number of photos from the Langford v Shefford Town & Campton SSML Division One fixture that day at Forde Park which the away side surprisingly won 7-2, albeit Langford were on a poor run at that time of the campaign. I think all of us enjoy visiting leafy Forde Park:

Langford FC

Love the one light floodlight ? 

Old hat now but action from the Langford v Sun Postal Sports SSML Challenge Trophy Second Round tie at Forde Park on 6 December 2016 which Langford won 4-1 on their way to the Semi Final that season before losing to Thame Rangers:

Photos from Winslow United v Langford at Elmfields Gate last term on 22 September 2018 which Winslow United won 5-0:

Winslow Utd v Langford

• 2 weeks later...

A bit after the Lord Mayors Show but photographs from Brimsdown v Langford on 24 October 2015 in a SSML Division One fixture at the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium which Langford won 3-2:

Brimsdown FC 2-3 Langford FC (24-10-15)

• 3 weeks later...

Again well after the Lord Mayors Show I'm afraid but photographs from London Lions v Langford on 6 March 2012 in a 2011/12 SSML Division One fixture at Goffs Lane where London Lions were groundsharing at the time, London Lions won 3-1. Both sides netted within the first fifteen minutes and the Langford Captain was dismissed after thirty minutes following a two footed challenge which appeared to be a harsh decision, that changed the game as London Lions made their man advantage tell during the second period although they left it surprisingly late with Sam Sloma netting twice in the last five minutes:

London Lions FC 3-1 Langford FC (6-3-12)

Edited by Rhodes

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody happen to remember a player for Langford called Adam Wombwell, a towering old fashioned centre half in the Mike England mould for Tottenham and Wales back in the day, he was pure and unadulterated class and I was just wondering what became of him after he left Forde Park, does anybody know. Here is Adam in action for Langford in a SSML Premier Division fixture against Oxhey Jets on Monday 28 December 2009 in a pulsating 4-4 draw on a bitterly cold afternoon at Forde Park, shortly after he joined the Club from Southill Alexander:

http://thecoldend.blogspot.com/2009/12/big-bank-holiday-spartan-double-header_28.html

Edited by Rhodes

Adam Wombwell was all over the Forum like a rash back in the day, like I said it would be good to know what became of the great man after he left Forde Park, does anybody happen to know and whether he is still playing:

11 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Adam Wombwell was all over the Forum like a rash back in the day, like I said it would be good to know what became of the great man after he left Forde Park, does anybody happen to know and whether he is still playing:

I see I compared you to Mike Tyson and much like Iron Mike you have made a comeback. I really am a genius. 

I don't know whether anybody agrees but, as I said at the time, Langford have never really been the same Club since Red Robbo left them in 2010, coincidentally not long after that Oxhey Jets game at Forde Park on 28 December 2009 and penned the report below although surprisingly he doesn't mention Adam Wombwell. He was chief cook and bottle washer at Forde Park and would always welcome you with open arms as soon as you pulled off the A6001 into the car park:

Langford (0) 4, Oxhey Jets (2) 4

Spartan South Midlands League Premier.

Attendance 82

Admission (holiday special) £2.50 incl prog

Well, this was a match to blow away the post Christmas turkey blues!

Two teams that wanted to play football on a surface that was very good considering the recent weather. Oxhey Jets took a 2-0 interval lead with two excellent goals by a very impressive Luke Beardsworth.

Within ten minutes of the restart Harman and 2nd half substitute Wright had levelled for Langford and it was game on.

Beardsworth was a constant threat and scored his third of the afternoon to regain the lead for the visitors on 68. Within four minutes Wright had scored his second for Langford to tie it all up again. It was Wright that came so close to his own hat trick and giving Langford a 4-3 lead, but his "goal" was denied by a assistants flag for offside. Instead within minutes it was Oxhey that took the lead for the third time in the match and it was that man Beardworth on hand with his fourth of the afternoon. Back came Langford again to equalise through Ben Le'Honore three minutes later with just four minutes remaining. No further goals but it could have gone either way as both teams continued to look for a winner. Great game played in a good spirit and all credit to the Langford people for getting this game on making a good day out.

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 23:19, Rhodes said:

Mystery solved thanks to the Cold End, after Adam Wombwell left Forde Park he moved onto Highview FC where he continued to ply his trade in the Comet Stevenage Sunday League, here are photographs and video footage of the great man in action against Dun Cow Reserves in the Comet Stevenage Sunday League Division One Cup Final played at Broadhall Way on Sunday 2 May 2010. Southill Alexander did everything in their power to persuade Adam to return to the Carlsberg Stadium after his surprisingly short spell with Langford, offering him a decent amount of money for Step 7 level, however he was determined to join Highview FC who he has always had a huge affinity for:

http://thecoldend.blogspot.com/2010/05/sunday-league-cracker-as-dun-cow.html

Edited by Rhodes

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

Shadow I don't remember him he must of been before my time ?

I see that Adam Wombwell proudly represented the Bedfordshire County League in a 2009/10 FA Carlsberg National Leagues Systems Cup First Round tie on 23 September 2009 against the Amateur Football Combination at Second Meadow and the Bedfordshire County League won 4-3 on penalties after a 0-0 draw after extra time with Adam going close on 63 minutes when hitting the under side of the bar with a rocket like header:

http://www.bedfordshirefootballleague.co.uk/docs/S0910NewsBulletinNo11.pdf

There's more about Adam Wombwell on this thread as well as his mentor Tony Armitage who had a short spell as Coach at Forde Park following his departure from Southill Alexander in 2009 and was later with Tring Athletic and Codicote. Adam made his Langford bow against Welwyn Garden City at Forde Park on Saturday 12 December 2009 in a SSML Premier Division game and the rest is pretty much history as they say with Langford winning 4-1:

Langford were extremely unfortunate that Adam Wombwell got injured shortly after his much heralded arrival at Forde Park and his absence had a lot to do with the Club's surprise slide down the table, you will recall his debut being compared to Bobby Moore's performance for England against Brazil in Guadalajara in 1970 and that says it all doesn't it

YouTube highlights from Langford v Park View in an opening day of the 2018/19 season SSML Division One fixture, on 4 August 2018, which Langford won 3-2:

https://thecoldend.blogspot.com/2018/08/langford-take-all-three-points-park.html

It makes a change to have a post on the Langford thread that's not about Adam Wombwell. It wouldn't surprise me if Rob Verdia returns to Forde Park in the next week or so in some capacity, possibly even as Reserve Team Manager if the Club haven't got one already although I'm not sure how well he gets along with Martin Wells, there seems to have been some friction between them in the past:

Langford FC are delighted to announce that we are re-introducing a Reserve team into the Beds County League for the 2020/21 season as we look to expand and take the club in a new direction. For any queries - contact the club directly or First Team Manager Martin Wells