Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The BUILDBASE FA VASE Fourth Round

A little over an hours time until the 4th Round draw.

Who knows when this game will be able to be played, hopefully the 9th of January as scheduled, but we’ll wait and see! 

Any predictions for Town’s opponents? 
I’m going for either Christchurch or Falmouth away. But of course, I’d love a home draw instead! 

3 hours ago, Karen Browne said:

THE BUILDBASE FA VASE Fourth Round Proper

Saturday 9th January

Leighton Town v Guildford City or Walton & Hersham

I wonder who Leighton Town's Fifth Round opponents will be, I know they have met with Guildford City at least twice before, in the Southern League Division One Central in 2012/13, but have they ever locked horns with Walton & Hersham, that's one for our resident 'Motty' Karen. Who can forget Waltham & Hersham's exploits in the FA Cup in the early to mid 70's under the great Allen Batsford when in 1973/74 they beat Brian Clough's Brighton & Hove Albion 4-0 at the Goldstone Ground in a First Round Replay following a 0-0 draw at their then Stompond Lane home in Walton-on-Thames, recently demolished to make way for, yes you guessed it, yuppie flats.

From Walton & Hersham's website however I would have thought that Guildford City were very much favourites to go through to meet Leighton Town:

FA VASE, 4TH ROUND DRAW

DECEMBER 21, 2020

Should Swans win their postponed 3rd Round tie at Guildford City, they will be away in the 4th Round to Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division club Leighton Town in the 4th Round.

The tie is scheduled for Saturday the 9th of January, but with the 3rd Round tie still to be decided, and the Covid-19 restrictions in place it is unlikely that will apply.

Leighton Buzzard is in Bedfordshire, so all three clubs are currently in Tier 4.

Here's an intereting one folks and I think I have outdone Karen this time, did you know that Guildford City's nickname is 'The Sweeney', I naturally thought that it originated from the iconic 1970's tv show with John Thaw and Dennis Waterman but it doesn't:

The Sweeney | Unofficial Guildford City Discussion & News Forum (proboards.com)

EE6vYLfWsAEugS3

On 21/12/2020 at 14:04, Karen Browne said:

THE BUILDBASE FA VASE Fourth Round Proper

Saturday 9th January

Leighton Town v Guildford City or Walton & Hersham

Unfortunately Saturday 9 January has been withdrawn by the FA who state “we will continue working closely with the relevant parties to ensure these fixtures can be rescheduled as soon as it is safe to do so".

Confirmation from the FA that the FA Vase has been suspended: 

Following the Goverment's latest announcement regarding updated COVID-19 restriction tiers, we have issued an update regarding this season's Buildbase FA Vase. 

With over 75 per cent of the population under Tier 4 restrictions, currently all Buildbase FA Vase fourth-round fixtures scheduled for Saturday 9 January 2021 – and the remaining outstanding third-round matches – will be unable to take place, in line with the latest Government guidance. These fixtures shall therefore be postponed with a new date to be confirmed.

We will continue working closely with the relevant parties to ensure these fixtures can be rescheduled as soon as it is safe to do so.

For a reminder of our current guidance for 'non-elite' football activity, click here.

Buildbase FA Vase fourth round postponed under latest COVID-19 restrictions (thefa.com)

F.A. Vase 2020-21 | NonLeagueMatters Forums

Edited by Rhodes

On 28/12/2020 at 22:35, Rhodes said:

From Walton & Hersham's website however I would have thought that Guildford City were very much favourites to go through to meet Leighton Town:

If Guildford City do get through against Walton & Hersham and the Fourth Round tie at Bell Close is eventually played I see that the Club have appointed Paul Barnes (pictured) as their new Manager. Paul was previously with Staines Town as well as at Welling United, Greenwich Borough, Ashford United and Margate, additionally he did some very good work with Millwall and Chelsea academies early in his career where he cut his teeth in Coaching and was at Stamford Bridge for nearly three years as Development Officer, he now has a UEFA 'A' licence. No doubt Joe Sweeney will enjoy meeting him and having a glass of something in his office after the tie win or lose, hopefully win: 

IMG_9932-300x300.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Are the contents of this statement from earlier this month still current, I assume so, obviously last season's Semi Finals and Final are still in limbo which Leighton Town could also have been involved in had they beaten Corinthian:

FA VASE UPDATE
In light of the recent UK Government announcement regarding the updated tier restrictions which placed over 75% of the population under Tier 4 restrictions, we write to you with acknowledgment that currently all Fourth Round Proper fixtures scheduled for Saturday 9 January 2021, and the remaining outstanding Third Round Proper matches, will be unable to take place in line with the latest Government guidance. These fixtures shall therefore be postponed with a new date to be confirmed.
We will continue working closely with the relevant parties to ensure these fixtures can be rescheduled as soon as it is safe to do so.

• 4 weeks later...

At least some good news amongst the current doom and gloom as despite the 2020/21 season having been 'curtailed', as was announced by the FA earlier this evening, the FA Vase will thankfully continue with Leighton Town the remaining SSML representatives and due to meet the winners of Guildford City and Walton & Hersham in the Fourth Round:

The FA Alliance and Leagues Committee curtail the 2020/21 season at Steps 3 to 6
Our alliance and leagues committees have now considered the large amount of data and information submitted by clubs across the National League System (NLS) Steps 3-6 as part of a survey to gather views on the continuation or conclusion of the 2020-21 league season, in addition to the information set out in the Government’s roadmap this week.
Submissions were made by 99.1 per cent of clubs at Steps 3 and 4, and 95.8 per cent of clubs at Steps 5 and 6. We would like to thank the clubs for submitting their views and the time taken in providing responses during what we appreciate is an incredibly challenging period for everyone.
The results of the survey showed that over 76 per cent of all clubs across Steps 3-6 indicated a preference to curtail the 2020-21 league season if it could not be restarted with limited spectator numbers and hospitality before 1 April.  
During this process, taking into account views of clubs and leagues, it was decided that extending the 2020-21 league season beyond the end of May 2021 would not be a viable option. This was due to various considerations, including the financial implications for many clubs, player contracts and the extent of the fixture scheduling issues caused by the national lockdown and various postponements which had resulted in there being 81 per cent of matches left to complete for Steps 3 and 4, and 75 per cent at Steps 5 and 6. 
Taking into account the survey results and the ongoing impact of Covid-19, which continues to adversely affect incomes for clubs due to restrictions on both spectators and hospitality, our alliance and leagues committees have reached a consensus that, subject to the approval of FA Council, the 2020-21 league season for Steps 3-6 of the NLS should be curtailed with immediate effect, with no further league matches taking place this season. 
The committees will now present their collective recommendations to the FA Council for ratification.
It has also been decided that, subject to FA Council’s decision regarding the curtailment of the season at Steps 3-6, both committees will revisit discussions around a potential restructure at Steps 4-6 of the NLS, which was originally agreed and has been on hold since the 2019-20 season. A further update on this will be provided in due course.
The FA intends to complete the 2020-21 FA Vase on the basis that the road map is implemented as set out by the Government earlier this week.
“We are currently liaising with the relevant parties with regards to a revised schedule for the Competition and will communicate this along with other details (such as emergency Rule amendments or modifications) as soon as these have been finalised. Please note that due to time limitations, the Competition will resume at the earliest opportunity (meaning that all Clubs should be prepared to resume playing FA Vase fixtures in early April) to ensure that all remaining fixtures can be played and the Competition can be completed in its usual format.”

This made me smile from Walton & Hersham's Twitter page, you have to admire their optimism however what chance have they got of reaching Wembley, even if they somehow manage to win at Guildford City in the delayed Third Round tie they will then have to go to Bell Close in the Fourth Round:

News today that our league season has been terminated and we will not play another CCFL fixture this season. We will however be resuming our FA Vase campaign away to Guildford City at the start of April should all go to plan - the Road to Wembley is back on, see you all soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Stowmarket Town have decided to withdraw from the FA Vase and are quoted as saying "with the FA’s intentions to resume the competition, and with fixtures to be played behind closed doors with no paying supporters, the Club has taken the decision to pull out due to financial reasons". I was not aware that it had been officially confirmed that Fourth Round ties would be played behind closed doors, if that is the case you don't hear Leighton Town complaining about their tie against either Guildford City or Walton & Hersham. Combined Counties League Premier Division Cobham must be rubbing their hands getting a free passage through to the Fifth Round of the competition, as well as a cool £1,875 in prize money, as they were unlikely to win at Eastern Counties League Premier Division Stowmarket Town:

FA Vase Statement – Stowmarket Town FC

7 hours ago, Rhodes said:

I was not aware that it had been officially confirmed that Fourth Round ties would be played behind closed doors

It would appear that according to an FA statement released earlier today, non-elite football will need to be behind closed doors until no earlier than 17 May':

Step 3 to 6 subsidiary Competitions - Published 10 Mar.pdf (ncefl.org.uk)

Toolstation Northern Counties East Football League | News | League News | Season 2020/21 | FA release subsidiary competition and spectator update (ncefl.org.uk)

An interesting update on the FA Vase for both this season and last season, Leighton Town v Guildford City or Walton & Hersham will take place at Bell Close on Saturday 17 April, sadly behind closed doors:

Billede

Edited by Rhodes

An interesting FA Vase update from Leighton Town:

Update On The Resumption Of The FA Vase (leightontownfc.co.uk)

Billede

Edited by Rhodes

This could be an interesting Fourth Round tie and I wonder whether either Anstey Nomads or Wellingborough Town could be potential Fifth Round opponents for Leighton Town, both are United Counties League Premier Division Club's however I shouldn't think Joe Sweeney will have anything to fear particularly at Bell Close: 

Billede