Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round - Tuesday/Wednesday 10/11 August

Two additional FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round ties during midweek, one that was postponed on Saturday, due to a waterlogged pitch and not Covid, and one replay following a 1-1 draw at Rothamsted Park:

Tuesday 10 August (kick off 7.45pm)
FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round
Walthamstow v Crawley Green

Wednesday 11 August – (kick off 7.45pm)
FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round Replay
Romford v Harpenden Town (at Barking FC)

Edited by Rhodes

Just now, Rhodes said:

Wednesday 11 August – (kick off 7.45pm) 
FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round Replay
Romford v Harpenden Town (at Barking FC)

For some reason Full Time states that this one is taking place at East Thurrock United FC but it is at Barking, see a preview on the tie:

https://www.romfordfc.com/news/romford-v-harpenden-town-preview-2637384.html

Billede

9 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Tuesday 10 August (kick off 7.45pm)
FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round
Walthamstow v Crawley Green

You can't really hold out much hope for Crawley Green this evening but then stranger things have happened, especially in football:

Ticket v Crawley Green (10-8-21) – Walthamstow Football Club (walthamstowfc.com)

May be an image of text that says "FA CUP EXTRA PRELIMINARY ROUND Stow vCrawley Green NEW DATE -TUEDAY 10 AUG 7.45PM WEAREWLTHHMSTOW"

Yes, unfortunately no surprise at Wadham Lodge this evening:

Walthamstow 4 Crawley Green 1

Billede

This evening's result:

Wednesday 11 August  
Romford 3 Harpenden Town 1 (at Barking FC)

Emirates FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round Replay | Romford 3 - 1 Harpenden Town | Football Web Pages

On 11/08/2021 at 03:52, Rhodes said:

Tuesday 10 August

YouTube highlights and match programme:

https://www.walthamstowfc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/1-Crawley-Green-FA-Cup-web.pdf

Edited by Rhodes

7 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Wednesday 11 August  

Emirates FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round Replay | Romford 3 - 1 Harpenden Town | Football Web Pages

A match report from last night:

Match Report: Romford 3 - 1 Harpenden Town : First Team (romfordfc.com)

On 11/08/2021 at 03:52, Rhodes said:

A groundhopper from another Forum was at Wadham Lodge on Tuesday:

Walthamstow 4 v 1 Crawley Green - FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round Replay
Prog 32 pages £2.00 - The issue with the caricature of a player drawn by a local school child. Plenty of talk on social media about the cover was the word on the gate - Admission £7.00 - Att. Nothing official seen but around 200, including some at least in tune home choristers who have misappropriated Spandau Ballet's excruciatingly awful (IMHO) Gold as their theme tune. As a way of balancing, they do give a brief rendition of Da Brudders Ramones 'Blitzkrieg Bop', a snippet of which was also played over the PA twice pre first and second half - Hey Ho Lets Go and all that. It felt that was 1976 all over again!!

Clear why the choristers have much to sing about as this is a club very much 'on the up' and it has a Level 3/4 about the place taking into account the size of the crowd, the atmosphere and the general feel. Plus Wadham Lodge which unusually for a Level 5 ground has large amounts of cover at both ends. In addition, this was a simple enough passage to the Preliminary Round where you like to think that Hullbridge will provide a sterner test.
Though as a contest, the direction could have been very different as in the second minute a woeful pass from inside his own box by Jason Beck where he clearly did not look as to where he was passing landed at the feet of Sam Holmes for the visitors but he took fractionally too long allowing Amarildo Cekrezi to block with his knees and Danny Watson following up could only angle the rebound wide of the far post.
Noticeable that Walthamstow, unlike their opponents have a number of players who have played at a higher level, one of which Jason Hallett even though he is of advancing years has the ability against 'lesser' defences to be a constant threat. Though it was another player who falls into the having played at a higher level category Adelberto Pinto who scored the opener for the hosts, turning in at the near post a corner from the right by Harrison Carnegie. Controversy reigned as the visiting defence claimed that the ball did not cross the line and if VAR was installed at Wadham Lodge, then I am sure that they would be clamouring for a replay to deduce whether the linesman was correct in his interpretation that the ball had crossed the line.
For the remainder of the first half, the hosts were an attractive watch, attacking positively and able to penetrate what gave the impression was a reasonably well constructed defence. A perfect pass of the defence splitting variety from Hallett reached Ollie Sotoyinbo who had a clear run on goal, however he was thwarted by a brave save from the advancing Mitchell Howe. Only a matter of minutes before the second goal arrived with a move and finish worthy of a much greater audience than the 200 present and whoever has viewed on a social media platform. A further defence splitting pass from Pinto, a step over to create space from Connor Scully followed by a low cross into the area and an audacious back heel from Hallett to conclude.
Minutes later and a three goal margin had been established with an excellent cross from the right by Carnegie and Hallett leapt highest to head down and wide of Howe. At half time, it could be argued that the three goal margin did flatter the hosts, but despite the fact that Crawley Green were a reasonable enough team for their level, the hosts were devastatingly impressive.
The second half was much anticipated, but rather failed to live up to expectations. There was a degree of complacency about the hosts play at time which initially appeared a risky approach to take as within seconds of the restart Crawley Green had pulled a goal back with an untidy goal where Holmes should have scored from close range but miscued his shot but was fortunate that Danny Watson was present at the back post to tap in. The second half would surely have been more watchable fayre if the deficit would have been further reduced. For the five minutes after pulling a goal back, the possibility of the home lead being halved looked more than a distinct possibility as Daniel Blackman's angled drive rebounded back off of the outside of the post and then Cerkezi had to be paricularly agile to push away a venomously struck shot from Taylor Rhiney.
The Crawley Green threat soon evaporated and the second half was in contrast to the first period a colourless affair. There was some entertainment of the wrong type when the home bench foolishly held onto the ball to prevent a quick throw from being taken. Within seconds a twenty and a lot players, benches melee ensued, where a number of players were fortunate to remain on the pitch, unlike Terry Spillane the Walthamstow joint manager who was dismissed. Best approach to what occurred was from Scully who from afar seemed completely uninterested and unwilling to wade in. In fact his nonchalance to the madness that was occurring was such that if there was a deckchair available he would have sat in it and almost certainly the case that if the melee was being shown on an obscure satellite channel, he would have turned down the subscription.
For the remainder of the contest, the hosts with ease contained their opponents though it took until the third minute of stoppage time for a fourth to arrive with a further excellent cross from Carnegie being headed in from close range by Casey Nolan-Samuels. It would not surprise taking into account the ease from travelling from The Riverbank WFH sofa to Wadham Lodge and also taking into account that this overall was a thoroughly impressive display from the hosts that further trips are not made in the direction of E17 later in the season.
Easy journey there and unlike the clear wrong turning taken on the return journey from the same venue four days before, Walthamstow Queens Road station was easily located - simple really, just follow the road signs. They are there for a purpose!! Indoors at 23.10.

Wednesday 11 August  

The same groundhopper who was at Wadham Lodge on Tuesday was at Mayesbrook Park last night hence the lengthy report, yawn!:

Romford 3 v 1 Harpenden Town - FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round Replay
Prog 32 pages £2.00* - Admission £8.00 - Att. A meagre 88

With the debate between online and paper editions having its annual airing, I like to think that once online editions eventually conquer the programme world (and it pains me to say that, though I am sure that the conclusion of the battle will be long after I have fallen off this mortal coil), that Romford will be the last non league club to succumb to the online curse. The layout of the edition never changes and it is neither showy or glossy but is well compiled and always very readable.
Regrettably, the prog apart from the first fifteen minutes were the only positives to be derived from this unattractive contest that saw an innumerable amount of stoppages, both for injuries to players and also for misbehaving players. From a too long watching perspective, one of the problem with replays is that there is stored up animosity between players and this was certainly the case here A long time since I can recall a contest so devoid of an occurring flow.
Two not particularly good teams either and if we avoid a Covid interrupted season and I had a passion for betting, then I would wager a tenner that neither of these teams would feature in the top half of their respective divisions.
The first few minutes cruelly suggested that this would be a decent enough contest. The hosts took an early lead when Christian Adu Gyamfi saw his shot deflect through to what appeared to be straightforward gather for Eman Olajide in the Harpenden goal, problem was that the visiting keeper never had control of the ball, L'Hereux Menga took full advantage, stabbing over the line from close range and Olajide's appeal that he was impeded was never going to find favour with the man in black.
The lead was short lived as the visitors somewhat unexpectedly levelled when Josh Rodrigues from what was a none too favourable angle, arrowed a shot just inside the far post. From thereon, the flow of the contest disappeared as there was an increasing number of stoppages for injuries. Few opportunities either though if Harry Scott for the visitors had accurately volleyed a cross from the right rather than skewing horribly wide, we could have been witnessing one of the strikes of any season.
Unlike the previous evening, the second half was not anticipated and given that it did not commence until 20.55 a late night of extra time and the inevitable outcome by penalties was more than a distinct possibility. However, the element of a positive surprise manifested itself with another of the few memorable moments. Adu Gyamfi in space on the left unleashed an angled drive which beat Olajide for sheer pace and as it bounced out from the net, the initial thoughts of several on the far side was that the ball had rebounded out from the side netting. It took more than a few seconds to realise that with celebrating players that the ball had travelled between the posts.
It was of course a false dawn as the second half became even more of a stop, halt and occasional start affair than the first. Players were showing their irritability with each other as the booking count mounted - eight in total. Scott for the visitors was fortunate at least once to say on the pitch. In contrast though, he was the only creative player for the visitors with several tantalising crosses which required a touch which was not forth coming.
In the end Romford comfortably held on and three minutes into what was a not surprisingly elongated period of stoppage time, a trip in the area on Menga, which the man in black originally ignored eventually awarded a penalty after consultations with his linesman Jesse Olukolu sent Olajide the wrong way and sent Romford across to a Preliminary Round tie against Kensington and Ealing Borough that from this angle looks as if it could be a FA cupset of an early round minor variety.
Did seriously consider other options, for once there was far more Wednesday choice than Tuesday. But the ease of travel to Mayesbrook Park proved to be the deciding factor. As it was a pleasant enough evening eschewed TFL Route 5 in favour of a walk back to Barking station and a reacquaintance with the 22.39 departure. Once again indoors a few minutes after 23.00 hrs.

Wednesday 11 August  

It seems Mayesbrook Park was awash with groundhoppers last night, strange that this one has never seen a Referee wearing glasses before, it's one for PetetheGreek however I have seen plenty:

Also here, and not a great deal to add to or argue about in a comprehensive report. As an old codger, admission for me was £6, and I agree about the programme - not classy or showy, but perfectly adequate and a reasonable amount of reading material.
It's my habit at matches to carry a stopwatch and start it at the beginning of each half, only stopping it at the end of the half. For both halves in this match my watch was stopped at just short of 52 minutes.
Not sure that I've ever seen a referee wearing glasses before, though I could be wrong; I'm pretty certain, though, that in 60+ years of watching football I've never seen a referee have so many discussions with his assistants before making his decisions. I wasn't counting, but my guess is that he must have consulted at least a dozen times.
As I was on public transport and getting back to the wilds of Hertfordshire, yet south of Watford, at one stage I had serious concerns about being too late for one of the trains. However, a bus to Chadwell Heath Station, TfL Rail to Liverpool Street, the underground to Euston Square, and a limp to Euston (I have osteoarthritis problems and some breathlessness from what I think is Long Covid) comfortably got me on the 23.15 stopping service to Watford Junction. Arrival at Carpenders Park a few minutes before midnight got me indoors at 00.05.

13 hours ago, Rhodes said:

It seems Mayesbrook Park was awash with groundhoppers last night, strange that this one has never seen a Referee wearing glasses before, it's one for PetetheGreek however I have seen plenty:

Also here, and not a great deal to add to or argue about in a comprehensive report. As an old codger, admission for me was £6, and I agree about the programme - not classy or showy, but perfectly adequate and a reasonable amount of reading material.
It's my habit at matches to carry a stopwatch and start it at the beginning of each half, only stopping it at the end of the half. For both halves in this match my watch was stopped at just short of 52 minutes.
Not sure that I've ever seen a referee wearing glasses before, though I could be wrong; I'm pretty certain, though, that in 60+ years of watching football I've never seen a referee have so many discussions with his assistants before making his decisions. I wasn't counting, but my guess is that he must have consulted at least a dozen times.
As I was on public transport and getting back to the wilds of Hertfordshire, yet south of Watford, at one stage I had serious concerns about being too late for one of the trains. However, a bus to Chadwell Heath Station, TfL Rail to Liverpool Street, the underground to Euston Square, and a limp to Euston (I have osteoarthritis problems and some breathlessness from what I think is Long Covid) comfortably got me on the 23.15 stopping service to Watford Junction. Arrival at Carpenders Park a few minutes before midnight got me indoors at 00.05.

I don't agree with a referee wearing glasses as it is (a) dangerous and (b) unprofessional.

It's a pet hate along with wearing jewellery. You are not going to get any respect from players.

53 minutes ago, petethegreek said:

I don't agree with a referee wearing glasses as it is (a) dangerous and (b) unprofessional.

It's a pet hate along with wearing jewellery. You are not going to get any respect from players.

Jewellery (bling) I can agree with, apart from a wedding ring, but not glasses and how can they be dangerous and seen as unprofessional, I'm really surprised and shocked by your comments