Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Brittlesea

Steph

Well as no one else has posted on the subject I thought I would add my little gem.

I reckon we had 75% of possession but Brittlesea had a game plan which they carried out with precision.

Mass the defence with 5 at the back and then boot it to their two good wide men. We were caught out by a quick break with a second choice goalkeeper as Forster was injured midway through the first half and had to leave the field.  (No disrespect but the second choice goalie could not be faulted). Forster's injury looked serious but he will have two weeks to recover.

Second half they made two substitutions and from this point they were more effective as an attacking organisation.

We brought on our subs later in the second half and perhaps these changes should have been made earlier. We missed a penalty and hit the bar twice but we do not have the guile without Youngs, who came on late in the second half as sub, we lack guile to break down a well organised defence.

(BTW Brittlesea is not a misspelling it is the nautical word for Brightlingsea a pleasant little harbour with one of the best fish and chip shops on the east coast and a co-op selling walnut whips. Pity the local hostelries are not much to write home about but the Railway stands out)

I can't remember when we have had so many chances (including hitting the woodwork 4 times) and the opposition so few, yet ended up on the wrong side of the result. 

Jorden Adeoye, our 17-year old academy student, had a good game at centre-back, especially in the first half when he looked strong in the tackle and made some promising runs forward with the ball. He seemed to lose a little confidence in the second half but I thought his performance was very encouraging. Good to see the Manager put into action his promise to establish a path from the academy to the first team.

I also thought Obi had a good game on the right (I wouldn't want to be a defender with him running at me) and Kyle Bailey marshalled the back 3 well. Gucci made some excellent forward runs (he must be learning from watching Sam Youngs) and Leo Donnellan looked solid in midfield too, playing some nice passes.

The one chance Brightlingsea had, they took. A lofted free kick high into the area, a lapse in concentration at the back, and a free header from no more than 6 yards. Nothing that Reece, our stand-in goalie, could do. Disappointing but it was just one of those nights. Bad luck rather than a bad performance.