Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

V Torquay (away)

I've read a lot of comments previously on the Torquay fan's forum from their supporters, who seem to  believe their club is too grand and mighty to be plying their trade at National League South level.

It seems the club itself goes along with this idea.

I can see no other reason to explain the prices they are charging for our game with them on Saturday.

We will have to pay twenty quid to get in to see the game.

And that's if you pay in advance.

Twenty two quid on the day.

We do not have the option of buying a cheaper standing ticket on a terrace, we have to buy a seat.

This was the same situation at Yeovil last week, but at least  Yeovil had the decency to only charge us  fourteen pounds for our seats.

Torquay, you are not a Football League club anymore.

You are not even a National League team this season.

Twenty two pounds to see a National League South game as an away fan if you pay at the gate on the day ?

Torquay, that's a disgrace.

Edited by Holyport Rebel

3 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

I've read a lot of comments previously on the Torquay fan's forum from their supporters, who seem to  believe their club is too grand and mighty to be plying their trade at National League South level.

It seems the club itself goes along with this idea.

I can see no other reason to explain the prices they are charging for our game with them on Saturday.

We will have to pay twenty quid to get in to see the game.

And that's if you pay in advance.

Twenty two quid on the day.

We do not have the option of buying a cheaper standing ticket on a terrace, we have to buy a seat.

This was the same situation at Yeovil last week, but at least  Yeovil had the decency to only charge us  fourteen pounds for our seats.

Torquay, you are not a Football League club anymore.

You are not even a National League team this season.

Twenty two pound to see a National League game as an away fan if you pay at the gate on the day ?

Torquay, that's a disgrace.

£18 in advance for concessions, stuck in the corner with presumably no use of their clubhouse.

Daylight robbery!! 

21 hours ago, BFR said:

Not to mention the protests likely to continue inside and outside of the stadium. Their supporters are not happy bunnies

They are away to Maidstone tonight surely it will be worth a few extra quid to watch the Rebels pick up the 3 points on Saturday!

I’ve still not forgiven them for my one and only time down there.  It was the match Ben Harris got sent off for waving and their stadium announcer gave the man of the match award to Gary Johnson and the entire Torquay team!! Have a word with yourselves you didn’t beat  Barcelona!! 

Torquay beaten tonight by Maidstone conceding 3 goals  Thats 11 goals conceded whilst losing their last 3 league games  Theyve managed  just 1 win (1-0 v Dover) since before Xmas Ideal time for us to be meeting them on Sat imo

2 minutes ago, Curtis said:

What a fantastic result!

It will be interesting to hear Scott’s post match interview, as the commentary seemed to suggest it wasn’t a great performance & defensively we were a bit frail or naive.

Yes  A result that puts us up to 9th and very close to play off area I expe cted this result and am a bit surprised it was so close. Torquay sites in meltdown over how theyve collapsed  just 5 points from last 30 and 15 goals conceded in last 4 league games Still 3 points the all important thing!

9 minutes ago, Irishadrian said:

Yes  A result that puts us up to 9th and very close to play off area I expe cted this result and am a bit surprised it was so close. Torquay sites in meltdown over how theyve collapsed  just 5 points from last 30 and 15 goals conceded in last 4 league games Still 3 points the all important thing!

Also a strange set of results today from ourselves in ninth to first there are 7 wins 1 draw and 1 not playing

Edited by Irishadrian

Wow what a result! Just didn’t think it’ll be our day after we kept going behind but again we found the resilience to find a way. Considering we didn’t have a full strength 16 available makes it an even sweeter victory. Now have 2 massive home matches next which I hope we can get at least 4 points from which will really make things interesting. Well done Rebels

47 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Wow what a result! Just didn’t think it’ll be our day after we kept going behind but again we found the resilience to find a way. Considering we didn’t have a full strength 16 available makes it an even sweeter victory. Now have 2 massive home matches next which I hope we can get at least 4 points from which will really make things interesting. Well done Rebels

Agree re next 2 homes neither Chippenham nor Dartford have won in last4 away games

Well yesterday's game took me back quite a while.
Almost 50 years.
Well, 49 years to be precise.
One of my most memorable Slough matches took place in Sept 1975, when we beat our deadly historic foes Wy***** Wa*******. .
A decent crowd, 3--2 down, pulled it back to 3-3 and then a last gasp winner to win 4-3. 
Just like yesterday.
I know we weren't playing that club from Buckinghamshire yesterday, but if you almost completely closed your eyes and squinted, you could try and kid yourself that yesterday's game was another match up  between those two old rivals.
( Felt very strange cheering on the team playing in the colours of our old enemy though.)
We even had a crap, muddy pitch from the 1970's to play on !
I don't know about you, but I love long coach journey's to distant away grounds.
The further the better for me.
I'm very happy just looking out the window, watching the world go by.
The coach left St. Joe's at 10am.
I was pleased to find that I had no-one sitting beside me.
It's always nice to be able to stretch out over two seats when on a long trip.
Seeing how much water was lying in the numerous fields we passed on our way showed how much rain we had had  recently. 
After 2 hours travelling, we pulled into a service station for a 45 minute break, near to Bristol I think it was.
Amy our driver needed this break to aid her with her driving hours.
We all piled off the coach to stretch our legs, and the weather then was mild and pleasant.
The team coach for Mousehole F.C. parked behind ours, and all their players in team tracksuits were milling about outside.
( Mousehole were apparently away to Cribbs F.C. ( ?).  Mousehole won 2-1 for anyone interested. )
After our break we all got back on board and continued our journey.
It used to be the case that the only on board entertainment you would have going to away games would have been if the driver turned the coach radio on, so that you could listen to the sport news being broadcast.
I haven't heard a coach radio for many years now.
Everyone now just looks at their smartphones.
I didn't notice this yesterday, but at other away matches people on the coach have watched live Premiership matches on these devices.
You are travelling at 60mph on a coach and watching a live match on a hand held screen ?
How the hell does that work ?
So clever this modern technology.
I still don't want a smartphone though
Wouldn't have  one if you paid me.
Anyway, we eventually got to the ground at about 2.30.
We walked the short distance to the away end, and I couldn't see anyone outside the turnstiles selling match programmes.    
" Shall I walk around to the home section to get a programme" I pondered ?
"Nah, they're bound to sell some inside" I thought to myself.
"They're a BIG club aren't they "
That's what they keep telling us.
So I walked through the turnstiles at an away ground, again only after a vigorous body search by a steward.
These big time Charlie clubs are a real pain.
I look around for a programme seller and none are to be seen.
Just like as at Yeovil, on enquiry to a steward I am told that a bloke with a bag will come around to sell programmes to us away fans.
Just as at Yeovil, a bloke with a bag selling programmes never appeared.
So no programme for me, a situation I really don't like.
As I walk to the front of the away stand to climb the stairs to find a seat, I spot an old face.
Alan Paris, who began to play for Slough in the early 80's.
He doesn't know me from Adam, but I had a quick chat with him anyhow.
I then climbed the steps to the very back of the stand.
It's not exactly the San Siro, but if you were a bit unsteady on your feet it would not be very easy to climb up those steep stairs !
On a warm, sunny August or April day you would get a lovely view of the area around Torquay.
Not so nice on a dank, grey, overcast day in  February  but still not bad.
I would have been very happy with a draw yesterday.
I hoped we could get to at least the 30 minute mark without conceding, as you would think that that would definitely start to get the home supporters uptight even more.
It wasn't to be.
Have to say I thought it was quite a nice finish by the Torquay man for their first goal.
The pitch was atrocious.
Very boggy and totally saturated.
Two further first half downpours didn't help, but it made for an exciting game, as a costly  mistake  caused by the conditions was always possible.
We fought back and equalised, and could easily have scored more.
A couple of "Gary out!'  banners could be seen being brandished by the Torquay fans, but halftime came and the scores were level.
Second half started in the worse way possible. 
An early goal conceded, and what made it worse was that it was such a simple one.
Long throw, ball bounced in the area and the Torquay bloke had a simple header to score.
With this Slough team though you always feel that any adversity won't get us down, and I always felt we could get back into this match.
Wasn't long before Johnny G made it 2-2.
There were  now    " WE..........WANT GARY OUT      
                                   say WE WANT GARY OUT ! "       chants from the home fans
I did chuckle when the Slough fans chanted in response.
                                  "WE............WANT GARY IN
                                   say WE WANT GARY IN ! "
Then Torquay went and made it 3-2 !
Oh FFS !
I think it was now that Scott made a triple substitution.
The outcome was much better than what happened at the Weymouth away game.
A great header by Dan made it 3-3, and I thought 
"Please don't let Torquay score again ! I am soooooooooo happy with a point !!!!!!!!! "
Unbelieveably Leon scored a forth in time added on !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cue euphoria amongst the Slough fans !
What a game.
What a result.
After a joyful celebration with the Management and players down on the pitch in front of us after the final whistle. all us fans piled onto the coach.
Everyone of course, pulled out their smartphones. 
When we were losing 3-2  I was annoyed, but accepting of the fact that I didn't have a match programme  .
Having ending up winning 4-3 I was gutted at the thought of not having one..
Then I remembered something.
A couple of days earlier I had seen that Torquay had programmes available to be ordered online on their website.
I didn't order one this way because I thought I'd definitely get one no trouble at the game.
Didn't work out as I expected !
As soon as I sat on the coach I texted my wife on my dumbphone and asked her to see if this option was still available on the Torquay website.
A few minutes later I got a text back  telling me that, yes this option was still available, and that a copy was ordered and on its way to me !
Happy Days !
The journey home was long, but having witnessed such a great result I don't think anybody minded.
We had a 15 minute stop en route home.
During the journey home Jean also got up at the front of the coach to tell everyone that Scotty had sent a message saying "thanks" for the support we had given the team during the match.
Scotty, it was a pleasure being there.
I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
We arrived back at St. Joe's at about 9.30pm, and when I got home at almost 10pm I put the computer on and saw we were in the heady position of 9th !
This despite giving the rest of the league a 7 game head start.
At the start of the season, seeing how strong the league was, I thought a good season would be one where we won a couple of matches in either the FA Cup or Trophy, and were in no danger of relegation.
After our dodgy start, the improvement from  the team has been immense, and if the season stopped now I would regard it as a successful one with a great base on which to build for next season. 
Who knows were we might end up this season, but for me at least, anything more would be a fantastic achievement.   
Scotty has done an incredible job.
You only have to look at Torquay's boss to see that even with all their advantages, winning football  matches at this level is not easy at all.
Yesterday was a great day to be a Slough fan.
It is so nice to be able to say that.

Edited by Holyport Rebel

16 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Almost 50 years.
One of my most memorable Slough matches took place in Sept 1975, when we beat our deadly historic foes Wy***** Wa*******. .
A decent crowd, 3--2 down, pulled it back to 3-3 and then a last gasp winner to win 4-3. 
Just like yesterday.
I know we weren't playing that club from Buckinghamshire yesterday, but if you almost completely closed your eyes and squinted, you could try and kid yourself that yesterday's game was another match up  between those two old rivals.
( Felt very strange cheering on the team playing in the colours of our old enemy though.)
I don't know about you, but I love long coach journey's to distant away grounds.
Seeing how much water was lying in the numerous fields we passed on our way showed how much rain we had had  recently. 
After 2 hours travelling, we pulled into a service station for a 45 minute break, near to Bristol I think it was.
We all piled off the coach to stretch our legs, and the weather then was mild and pleasant.
The team coach for Mousehole F.C. parked behind ours, and all their players in team tracksuits were milling about outside.
( Mousehole were apparently away to Cribbs F.C. ( ?).  Mousehole won 2-1 for anyone interested. )
It used to be the case that the only on board entertainment you would have going to away games would have been if the driver turned the coach radio on, so that you could listen to the sport news being broadcast.
I didn't notice this yesterday, but at other away matches people on the coach have watched live Premiership matches on these devices.
You are travelling at 60mph on a coach and watching a live match on a hand held screen ?
We walked the short distance to the away end, and I couldn't see anyone outside the turnstiles selling match programmes.    
So I walked through the turnstiles at an away ground, again only after a vigorous body search by a steward.
Just like as at Yeovil, on enquiry to a steward I am told that a bloke with a bag will come around to sell programmes to us away fans.
As I walk to the front of the away stand to climb the stairs to find a seat, I spot an old face.
It's not exactly the San Siro, but if you were a bit unsteady on your feet it would not be very easy to climb up those steep stairs !
On a warm, sunny August or April day you would get a lovely view of the area around Torquay.
I hoped we could get to at least the 30 minute mark without conceding, as you would think that that would definitely start to get the home supporters uptight even more.
It wasn't to be.
Have to say I thought it was quite a nice finish by the Torquay man for their first goal.
The pitch was atrocious.
Two further first half downpours didn't help, but it made for an exciting game, as a costly  mistake  caused by the conditions was always possible.
A couple of "Gary out!'  banners could be seen being brandished by the Torquay fans, but halftime came and the scores were level.
An early goal conceded, and what made it worse was that it was such a simple one.
Long throw, ball bounced in the area and the Torquay bloke had a simple header to score.
With this Slough team though you always feel that any adversity won't get us down, and I always felt we could get back into this match.
                                   say WE WANT GARY IN ! "
Oh FFS !
"Please don't let Torquay score again ! I am soooooooooo happy with a point !!!!!!!!! "
What a game.
What a result.
After a joyful celebration with the Management and players down on the pitch in front of us after the final whistle. all us fans piled onto the coach.
When we were losing 3-2  I was annoyed, but accepting of the fact that I didn't have a match programme  .
A couple of days earlier I had seen that Torquay had programmes available to be ordered online on their website.
I didn't order one this way because I thought I'd definitely get one no trouble at the game.
As soon as I sat on the coach I texted my wife on my dumbphone and asked her to see if this option was still available on the Torquay website.
A few minutes later I got a text back  telling me that, yes this option was still available, and that a copy was ordered and on its way to me !
Happy Days !
The journey home was long, but having witnessed such a great result I don't think anybody minded.
During the journey home Jean also got up at the front of the coach to tell everyone that Scotty had sent a message saying "thanks" for the support we had given the team during the match.
We arrived back at St. Joe's at about 9.30pm, and when I got home at almost 10pm I put the computer on and saw we were in the heady position of 9th !
At the start of the season, seeing how strong the league was, I thought a good season would be one were we won a couple of matches in either the FA Cup or Trophy, and were in no danger of relegation.
After our dodgy start, the improvement from  the team has been immense, and if the season stopped now I would regard it as a successful one with a great base on which to build for next season. 
Who knows were we might end up this season, but for me at least, anything more would be a fantastic achievement.   
You only have to look at Torquay's boss to see that even with all their advantages, winning football  matches at this level is not easy at all.

Nice little Sunday morning read! Very enjoyable. Thanks for the comments too, much appreciated. Glad you had a good day! 👍🏼😀

21 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Almost 50 years.
Just like yesterday.
It wasn't to be.
The pitch was atrocious.
                                   say WE WANT GARY IN ! "
Oh FFS !
What a game.
What a result.
Happy Days !
At the start of the season, seeing how strong the league was, I thought a good season would be one were we won a couple of matches in either the FA Cup or Trophy, and were in no danger of relegation.

Brilliant post  but when are they  not?!