Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

VIP traffic for the London Olympics!!!

Quote:
FLEETFANNo1USA said:
I seem to have heard this theory before........why fight a war abroad that doesn't concern us?........Funny........we would all be speaking German if that attitude had prevailed.
The Olympics would be a great financial and prestigious event for Britain to stage. If you don't believe me ,go get out the financial records,and Industrial output figures of when England held the World Cup here in 66, and that wasn't all down to the fact we won it either!

Err, what's that got to do with the Olympics? And what's it got to do my point that the electorate of the city certain to run up huge debts and suffer enormous congestion should be consulted to see if they want it to happen?

I presume your point refers to World War 2. The argument at the time was that it did concern us, of course. Whether we would all be speaking German as outr first lkangauge had we lost is a matter for speculation. We don't speak Norman French and we don't speak Latin. We do however speak a descendant of Early English, which is itself an, errr, Germanic language! So in a way we are already speaking German.

Now that has got absolutely nothing to do with the Olympics, I grant you.

There would probably be a serious effect on the construction industry as labour and materials would be gobbled up the olympic city thing, hence forcing prices sky high elsewhere - if you could get them at all. There would no doubt be an influx of European labour. Certainly industry would benefit, not only construction but all the spin-off industries, during the construction period, but it's not easy to see how these benefits would be sustained.

As for the tube lines, a new tube line would be hugely expensive. What we need is four more Circle Lines!

My point was why shouldn't everyone get behind the Government to do something they obviously think would be good for the country.

Any new Tube line would be beneficial to none at all, for whatever reason.If the Olympic Village was going to be in Stratford, it would be beneficial to visitors to London who use the Channel rail link......more money comming into London again!

Quote:
FLEETFANNo1USA said:

My point was why shouldn't everyone get behind the Government to do something they obviously think would be good for the country.

[color:"red"] YEAH !

Like on Beachy head, then give 'em a bl**dy good push. That would be 'good' for the country !

[color:"black"]

Because it's a London isue, not a national issue. As I understand it, olympic bids are from cities, not countries, and are funded by cities, not governments. Therefore the people of London who will have to pay for it should be consulted before they are taxed for it.

If it's good for the country it should be funded nationally, if the people want it.

If the tube line or whatever is needed for the Channel Tunnel rail link it it should be funded (nationally) and built in any case and has nothing to do with the Olympics. Should have been done years ago anyway.

Yes visitors to the Olympics will spemd money in London, but this will come nowhere near the costs involved, as has been shown by all the previous games.