Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Upgrading / Replacement of Software

Hi,

The time has come when I need to consider upgrading the software here.

For the last few years we have been using a product called UBB - the writers of the software, Infopop (now called Groupee) have said that they would launch a next generation product soon - this should have gone to beta last spring - but nothing has happened. In fact over the last 18 months or so, I have struggled with various bugs in the software, which the authors seem reluctant or unable to fix.

I have therefore decided that I need to put the users of this site first, and forget about waiting another 6 months plus, for them to launch a beta version - which may take another few months to become stable.

I have two real choices - switch to Vbulletin, or switch to a new piece of software called Fusionbb - the benefit of the later is that it is a new product, and the people behind the code seem willing to listen to users who have problems. Something that established software companies seem reluctant to do. Their feature set already includes everything that we have here - so anything new will be a bonus.

I did buy a licence for vbulletin - but will now probably switch to fusionbb. I intend to carry out some tests, including uploading a beta test site in the next few days.

The initial cost of this major upgrade will be around $800 (£500) - this is not bad considering the site costs $300+ a month to run - however I seriously need to consider ways of making the site pay (or at least go some way torwards meeting the costs). If you have any thoughts on this please share them.

One thing that will return is the side bar - as this is a standard feature laugh.gif This gives me the ability to add further features.

The purpose of this post is to inform you of the initial plans for upgrading the software - which I would hope to complete this autumn.

As soon as I have any more news, then I will share it - but in the meantime if anyone has any serius ideas as to how we can raise a few pennies then please share...

Thank you.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Well don't all reply at once wink.gif

I plan to start the upgrade in late November. This will involve a short period of downtime.

I will upload a beta site shortly, where you are all welcome to register, use & abuse the site.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi,

No - this site will continue up and until the final switch - all registrations and posts on the beat forums will be deleted prior to the switch.

In fact this forum will never vanish - it will simply close and all the users / posts will be converted over to the new forums, that will take us into 2006 and beyond...

The reason this forum will remain is because of links on numerous sites and search engines - anyone clicking on those links will get automatically transfered to the new site.

The main URL's will all still work - as will entering direct URL's such as http://www.nonleague.co.uk/gnfc - these will simply point directly to the new software.

This is possibly the biggest switch that we have undertaken in the 6+ years of this site. But I am confident of an easy cut-over.

No - only to use and abuse the beta forum - all usernames & passwords will be converted over - all you will need to do is to log in.

Any registrations on the beat forum will be deleted prior to the transfer.

Thanks.

Quote:
The Invisible Man said:
Being a bit dim, I don't really know what you're talking about Ian, but it sounds good and thanks for doing it! Well done, good job.

Hmm, money, I suppose the only way is some sort of advertising, but avoiding horrible pop-ups.

Sorry - essentially I have to replace the software that we are running - the company that wrote it has all but given up on their users - so in order for me to develop the site, I need to replace the core component.

Essentially I have to demolish what we have and build a nice posh building in its place. smile.gif

It is sad, really, what they are doing. I have seen what they are doing to other forums, trying to force them to switch over quickly. We haven't had a problem with it at our place.. yet.. but I keep watching for it to happen there, and here.

Hi Moo,

Good to hear from you. I was on their beta team for the new product, but nothing was happening so I pulled out.

We have to go somewhere & I need to develop the site nehind the scenes - so have no alternative but to switch.

I did purchase vbulletin - but like the responses from the authors of fusionbb - for once they seem to be listening - and because they run their own forums are keen to make it work. Of course time will tell - but I have to think of the users here. They deserve a stable environment.

Good luck with whatever you decide for your site.

• 2 months later...