Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Goal Keeper

westgateblueboy

Im a bit undecided really. Charlie has been brilliant the last few games and I am assuming it is because he had recovered from injury. A fir Charlie is excellent but how often is he fit? The new manager will have the decision whether or not to go for a new number 1 who will be available week in week out or to stick with Charlie and bring in a decent number two as a backup - but obviously this would take some of the budget which could otherwise go towards an outfield player.

[color:"blue"]I'd say to have a good regular, reliable & consistent keeper in the squad is the way to get promotion (as was proved with Lee Turner). I believe that Charlie is a compromise .. he's good (bordering on excellent) when he's good, but makes too many errors & is liable to have a few stinkers during a season (& is unlikely to complete a full season injury free). I'm not sure Darren is the answer as he's not the 'complete article' .... yet.

I'd like to see Charlie & Darren as 'joint' first choice 'keepers (much in the same way Charlie & Phil Smith were in the Conference), but as was pointed out earlier in this thread that'd be too expensive.

Ok so with Behcet there is a chance we could keep him but only on non contract I would think. I cant see him committing to a year or more because he obviously can go further in the game but just needs that break to appear for him. By all means if we can keep him on for a year contract then go ahead and get him I would say. But on non contract is it really worth it to lose him maybe before the end of August or then in January and have to find a new top class keeper. I would say probably not. Lets just get an experienced non league keeper like Gavin King at Chelmsford IF Behcet wouldnt commit to a year. Thats my thinking anyway.

Agree June, The lads gone all season with only a couple of games, practice makes perfect. Next season the club will need 4 + keepers, 2 for the 1st 11, 2 for the 2nd 11, also the under 18's. Hopefully next season we will see a club with a proper professional structure so the local youngsters can come through. In the past we have had the odd posts on the site complaining about the lack of involvement from the club in the youth side, i am sure this will change over time as the club develops, i have no doubt money has been very tight, not helped by earlier lack lustre performances on the field leading to dwindling gates. Speaking to KP the other night about a youngster( 2 others i arranged for CK to see couldn't be bothered to turn up) i had spotted he said to keep an eye open as the club will be holding trials at a date in the future. So it looks like in the coming seasons the gate will become once again a community club.