Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island -vs- Wingate & Finchley

Matt H

Tomorrow night (6/2), 7:45pm, Park Lane...

Team I'd like to see line-up for us presuming those out injured Saturday are still unavailable and Jay Curran is suspended.

Wiseman

West, Kreyling, Jesus, Bourne

Gordon, Roberts, Edgar, Reade

Luck, Rugg

SUBS: Capleton, Wall, Batch, Jay, Reynolds

Canvey to win 2-1, scorers: Luck and Rugg,

Att. 289

I see Wingate come to us tonight whilst at the top of the in-form table, (6 matches) and in second place over eight matches. That should make for an entertaining, although possibly frustrating fixture!

It will defo be a tough game tonight. My team would be as follows.

Capleton

West, Dobinson, Jesus, Bourne

Jay, Roberts, Edgar, Reade

Luck, Rugg

I think maybe Mel Capleton should start in goal tonight as i feel Ricky has now made to many bad decesions during games which have cost us some big points. Also Mel's experience would do the whole team a world of good.

Leon in my opinion looks like he needs a rest, his form as been poor over the last 5 games

Dobbo will be back tonight so that is great news for us!

My prediction is 2-1 Canvey

Crow is still suspended. we will miss his experience. still at least Dobinson is back.

I too would rest Leon Gordon, looks a bit tired. Also would go with Reade on the left, switching Lee Jay to the right.

would like to see Luck start up front with Rugg.

Hope everyone puts there thermals on.

Leon needs a rest in my honest opinion. He works hard every game but hasn't played that well recently.

It's time to give Matty Reade his chance.

Another three valuable points earned last night against a team that could have caused us problems. In the previous game which was called off I felt W&F were the far better side but last night seemed to be a game of two halves against a team who were in top form and full of confidence.

First half Canvey played some good football and caused W&F a number of problems - with their keeper pulling off one particularly brilliant reaction save. Lee Jay gave us a bit of room to breath with a well taken goal and Matt Reade had a few half chances which were snatched at.

Second half W&F up the tempo and were going for the equaliser and had long spells were they were more dominanat as we seemed to go to sleep. Felt we needed the second goal and it was well taken by Jay Curran. Not sure all the substitutions were warranted and Matt Reade went to a more central midfield role after the first substitution and he seemed to go quiet after that.

Chris Bourne played well and was given MOTM - personally I felt Dobbo had a fantastic game did everything correct and it was great seeing him back in action.

Another difficult game on Saturday where we will have to be at our sharpest against Enfield Town.

Wingate & Finchley match report can be found HERE

After the comments about the Waltham Forest game it's interesting to note their final sentences.......

Good performance last night. Had to weather the storm a bit in the second half when we switched off a little and W&F came at us so it was a relief when Jay Curran added the second and a fine finish it was as well.

Thought Matt Reade had a superb first half but went a bit quiet in the second. Still had a great game and definitely deserves a run in the side.

Ruggy was his usual hardworking self and wouldn't argue with Chris Bourne getting man of the match. Ran tirelessly down the left all evening.

Dobbo was strong at the back as well.

Wingate looked a decent side and did try to play the ball on the floor where possible.

A good result that puts us up to 3rd and sets Saturday's game up with Enfield Town very nicely.

I thought despite the good result it was a very frustrating performance at times and we were very fortunate that Wingate couldn't hit a barn door on the night.

I thought Matt Reade was totally superb last night, over the 90 minutes he won every header he challenged for and the majority of his tackles, plus beat his man more ofthen than not. It was great to see a wide option out on the left for most of the game. Negative point in his game was that you could tell he hasn't been playing regularly as his fitness was not as up to scratch towards the end of the game as you would usually expect with a regualar starter. Hopefully that'll come with the more full games he gets.

A shame we didn't have anything like that on the right though! It is very frustrating to watch Andrew West have a lot of space on his own, but no-one in front of him to knock the ball on and link up with for the attacking oppertunity and if we lose possession and are hit by a counter attack, we're pegged back on that side - Hence where most of the Wingate attacks in the second half last night came from. I counted at least three occasions in each half last night where the natural movement would've been to hit the ball out wide to the right, but with no-one there our game broke down and we had to find an alternative option. The option was there when Leon came on, but previously we lacked it and I feel this needs to be addressed if we're to keep pressure on the play-off pack.

Good to see Dobbo back, his tackling last night was pin-point. I swapped ends at half-time early so caught the last five minutes of the first half down the car-park end. Dobbo was a rock and was one of the only players I've seen not back away from a tackle for years. He went to the ball and managed to come out of the tackle with the ball, while their player carried on going!

Agree that Leon looks knackered, but saying that I think Ruggy is starting to look jaded now too. Can't argue with Bourne getting man of the match, thought he must've been in contention with Dobbo and Reade.

If I'm totally honest, I think our next transfer target would be another Dobbo like Midfielder to link up with Ryan Edgar. I'm not totally sure whether Stuart Batch is up to the task, but that kind of player is what we need in the middle so we can put Clyde Roberts back out on the right where he is most effective and bring Leon up front where he is most effective too. Whilst keeping Bourne/Reade/Corbell on the left.

Roll on Enfield Town, it will be another tough challenge that we'll have keep working hard to grind out the result.

Originally Posted By: Sharpe
What a surprising post! We all know what or should i say who you are getting at.
Why not leave the team selection to John and get on with supporting ALL the lads?

Couldn`t agree more but i suppose it`s all about different opinions. Sometimes i wonder if i`ve been to the same game after reading posts on here crazy

Originally Posted By: A Non E Mouse

Wingate & Finchley match report can be found HERE

After the comments about the Waltham Forest game it's interesting to note their final sentences.......

Very nice comments and good to hear after all the negtive comments from last Saturday

Personally i thought last night performance was very solid, W&F are a good side and im sure they will take points off alot of the top 6 sides.

Matt - I don't agree about moving Clyde Roberts back onto the right, i think he has been one of our best players so far this season.

MOM was a good shout as Bourne stood out as the best player on the night.

A quick mention has to go to Lee Jay who i thought had his best game of the season. A great strike for his goal and i thought he worked up and down the right flank all night.

If we keep this form going im sure we will be in the mix for a playoff spot come the end of the season.

Roll on Saturday!!

Quote:
What a surprising post! We all know what or should i say who you are getting at.
Why not leave the team selection to John and get on with supporting ALL the lads?

Are you a relative? I'll support ALL the lads who do their job correctly, follow what the Management tell them and give 100% on the field. Perhaps I haven't been very subtle about it, but then I never have been. I seem to be too honest for my own good. ban ban ban

Quote:
Couldn`t agree more but i suppose it`s all about different opinions. Sometimes i wonder if i`ve been to the same game after reading posts on here

Ditto

Quote:
Matt - I don't agree about moving Clyde Roberts back onto the right, i think he has been one of our best players so far this season.

I agree, I think he's been a fantastic player for Canvey this season, I'm just saying I enjoyed seeing him earlier in the season bombing down the right-hand side beating players and whipping it into the box. Whilst playing as a defensive midfielder he hasn't had as much oppertunity to do this, although as a positive he does link up well with Ryan in the middle and when he is pushed out wide, we still see flashes of his "wing" brilliance.

Originally Posted By: Matt CIFC

Are you a relative? I'll support ALL the lads who do their job correctly, follow what the Management tell them and give 100% on the field. Perhaps I haven't been very subtle about it, but then I never have been. I seem to be too honest for my own good. ban ban ban

Why do i have to be a relative to defend one of our players? because i see things differently to you?
I agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when one player is consistently singled out, that gets my goat up.
yes the lad has had a few poor performances recently (in my opinion), but last night he had a good game with the added bonus of a well taken goal. i have the feeling that no matter how well he did you would still give a poor write up.
he is the type of player who responds to praise rather than constant criticism. mind, that's true for most players.
as for commitment, do you really know him well enough to be aware of his commitment to the club, on or off the pitch?
the management themselves must see something in him, cos they keep on selecting him.
Lee (along with Steve) is one of our most skillful players and at only 21, with good coaching can only improve.

Quote:
Why do i have to be a relative to defend one of our players? because i see things differently to you?
I agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when one player is consistently singled out, that gets my goat up.
yes the lad has had a few poor performances recently (in my opinion), but last night he had a good game with the added bonus of a well taken goal. i have the feeling that no matter how well he did you would still give a poor write up.
he is the type of player who responds to praise rather than constant criticism. mind, that's true for most players.
as for commitment, do you really know him well enough to be aware of his commitment to the club, on or off the pitch?
the management themselves must see something in him, cos they keep on selecting him.
Lee (along with Steve) is one of our most skillful players and at only 21, with good coaching can only improve.

I also agree that people should be entitled to their own opinion, however I don't recall questioning them when something critical has been aimed at anyone.

How long to you is "recently"? A month, two or three? I can recall mentioning this is November and I and those around me at the games see it without having to wear anti-Lee Jay glasses.

Saying that, those players who others and I have thought to be of a poorer standard earlier in the season have come back into the team after some time out and established themselves as solid regulars - Jon Stuart most particularly.

Perhaps this is his time to take a rest and let someone else have a chance to prove their worth.

As for his performance last night, yes I agree his tackling was better. He did get stuck in more in the second half, but I am finding it hard to find thinking back to find something worthwhile mentioning. Agree about his goal, the fact that he was in the centre rather than out wide where he was supposed to be is maybe the reason he got it, perhaps he's a frustrated Striker?

No doubt I am not the only one who sees this though - Quote from another supporter after our Boxing Day game with Hornchurch:

Thought that 11 Lee Jay looked a little light weight, not able to tackle, was put off challenging for any headers and relies on a trusty foot, but overall, his contribution in games like these meant we were down to 10 men.

Why do you mention Steve? (I presume you're referring to Corbell?) I think Steve is talented and with everyone fit enough to play competition between him, Chris Bourne and Matt Reade will be fierce for the left wing.

Originally Posted By: ronin

Couldn`t agree more but i suppose it`s all about different opinions. Sometimes i wonder if i`ve been to the same game after reading posts on here crazy

I'm the same. There's one player who most on here seem to adore, yet I can't see why. I think he's flaming useless. And no, it's not Batchy, Mark. tongue

Matt, I wasn't suggesting that you didn't rate Corbell, simply that i rate him, along with LJ. they are two similar players.

Interestingly, I was at one game recently, when the two blokes next to me spent at least 20 minutes moaning about number 11 Lee Jay. at which point i pointed out that on that occasion number 11 was in fact Steve Corbell. At which they shut up!

Football is all about opinion, on this topic, it is obvious that you and i will never agree.

However, i do agree with Ribbit, there is one player that everyone else seems to rate (dont know if he is the same guy Ribbit means) but i think this player holds on to the ball too long, tries to beat too many men, and despite getting into good positions is often dispossessed. But that's just my opinion!