Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Town 3-1 Aveley

Scoreline

I thought we were lucky against Aveley. Dreadful performance in the first half where we couldn't string two passes together. The formation was completely unbalanced all over the pitch. I agree with LS - 3 centre backs don't work. And up front Crace and Afriedi were not hitting it off at all. To the point where I thought Crace was going to stomp off the pitch in disgust.

Our bench seemed silent apart from Margolis. His instructions were good and it seemed to me that the players respected him.

Jim got the changes right at half time and we looked a different team - BUT only after a lucky goal by Paul Campbell. Good for him for charging the ball down but how many of those go in over a season? Not many. Hammatt made a huge difference I thought, showing real commitment and linking play nicely between the defence and the attack. His goal was well deserved - but lucky again. For me Hammatt must start the next match. His playing behind the front two seemed to free up Velandia, and Velandia is a class player when he has time on the ball.

Nyman coming on for Nay made sense. We needed a left winger. Nyman is a left winger. Nay is a left back. Why wasn't he on from the start? I hope Nay doesn't turn out to be another Spinks. Bastian (when fit) would get the nod at left back, I imagine.

What a frustrating team we are!! Some of the football we played towards the end of the match was superb. Good, fast, slick and accurate passing along the ground. But the first half doesn't bear thinking about. Why oh why can't we be consistent?!

Quote:
you ll make a great manager with your knowledge of the game hindsight is a wonderful thing , ask jim for a coaching roll will never lose a game this comment is for lOVLEY STUFF

Hindsight?

Check out my comments on selection after the Wivenhoe game..etc.

Hindsight would have been to realise that Saturdays selection and formation resulted in a sterile,uncreative performance and to adjust accordingly,rather than waiting another 45 minutes to discover it.

Magona is decent cover for left-back or as a untility squad player,not as a first choice central midfield player,especially when competiton for that birth is so high.Niether is the dependable Tickner totally suited to the left side of a central three.Plus Nyman deserves a start.

All of which was said BEFORE the Avely game.Hindsight Indeed!

Look, Jim has many great managerial qualities.Consitantly attracting decent players,and getting as a unit,more than the sum of their parts from a squad(check out how players that leave Enfield Town,rarely make it without Jims influence)..That doesn't mean all parts of his managerial style are beyond reproach.