Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Town 3-1 Aveley

Scoreline

Awful performance first half after two early chances. They scored after 8 minutes after dreadful mistakes by John and Stephens and we struggled to create anything for the rest of the half and were lucky to go in only one down.

Hammatt and Nyman on for Nay and Magona second half and we were a different team. Much improved work-rate led to Campbell closing down a clearance which richoched into the bottom corner to equalise.

Shortly after, Hammatt's shot deflected off a defender and looped over the Aveley keeper to put us 2-1 up.

Our third came when Rudi Hall's driven free-kick was flicked on by Afriyie and Nyman drilled home.

The Aveley heads went down and we could have scored more.

Special mention to the subs Hammatt (although he was lucky to not be sent off), Nyman and Hunt who all put in excellent performances.

Team: John, Campbell (Hunt), Tickner, Allen, Stephens, Nay (Nyman), Magona (Hammatt), Velandia, Hall, Afriyie, Crace.

Att: 210.

not so sure about Hunt, but a complete game of two halves. so well doen the Town of the second half. on that display we can beat anyone. Jamie Nay was quiet, and JJ's kicking needs some work. a good three points, and a decnet tuesday nigth crowd as well.

What a bizarre game. We were awful in the first half. Second half a good improvement but our passing was pretty atrocious until the last 15 when we started spraying the ball around like Brazil!!!!! Two deflected goals and some great singing. We are only 1 points behind the Hawks now and if they lose their game in hand runners up spot could be there for the taking.

Originally Posted By: Arkwright
After seeing a certain player running up the tunnel wearing nothing but a bright pair of pink pants, I think I'll go back to staying in the shop for the whole match.

I think that goes to show I was right, he (Pink Pants) is totally bonkers. Good bloke who likes a laugh though.

giggle

Jim started the second half with the side he should have started with.Another 45 minutes wasted at home.Whats going on with Andy Jones? HE has several good displays in centre midfield,then gets shoved out on the left,then he only comes on as a sub.Now yesterday he was a unused sub? Has be not been attending training sessions or something.I can't think of any other reason why he shouldn't be involved.

Still think that three centre backs is a luxury,and leaves us short in other areas.Too many times three defenders are marking one opponent.Poor Simon Tickner ends up playing in a tucked-in Left Back position for most of the game.With Owusu constantly moving deep in order to recieve a pass,we were basically playing 5-4-1 in the first half.At home against a midtable side,we should be attacking a lot more.We play so called wing-backs but they very rarely make it into the attacking third,and they have no one to overlap or interchange with anyway.

I would prefur to see a 4-4-2.especially at home.

I would play Bastian as a conventional Left-Back,with Allen or Campbell at rightback.Infact both of them on the righthand side of the pitch could be effective.

Nyman deserves a start on the wing.

Good post LS; agree with you on most counts actually. (Blimey, at least one of us must be mellowing wink )

The problem with Jones, Nay or even Negus on the left side is that none of them appears willing to attack the left flank, and trust their left foot to deliver a reliable cross. If Bastian is fit, then he would be an ideal choice for this position. On the other hand he might be better used to rescue Simon Tickner from left-back hell.

Agree with you about Andy Jones also; he is probably the most talented member of the current squad, and it annoys me to see him scratching around for bit parts when he should be first on the team sheet.

Terrible first half. Second half was a lot better. We played the ball on the deck last night in the second half and there must have been an occasion when we had at least 10 - 15 passes without Aveley touching the ball.

BH's goal reminded me of the 1990 World Cup with the deflection off Paul Parker over Shilton's head. Never mind. I will accept any goal which goes into an opponents net.

Only managed to sell 80 Goalden Goal tickets last night. I received a threat amounting to, if I win, then I will buy you a pint'. The guy won and shook my hand. Never did see the pint!

Come on you lot out there. Is there no one who will stand by the turnstiles and sell tickets for about 30 minutes before the game? Don't forget - this is a 'whole club' run by its membership. Shouldn't we all play some part?

Oh well. At least I tried!

Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
Jim started the second half with the side he should have started with.Another 45 minutes wasted at home.Whats going on with Andy Jones? HE has several good displays in centre midfield,then gets shoved out on the left,then he only comes on as a sub.Now yesterday he was a unused sub? Has be not been attending training sessions or something.I can't think of any other reason why he shouldn't be involved.

Still think that three centre backs is a luxury,and leaves us short in other areas.Too many times three defenders are marking one opponent.Poor Simon Tickner ends up playing in a tucked-in Left Back position for most of the game.With Owusu constantly moving deep in order to recieve a pass,we were basically playing 5-4-1 in the first half.At home against a midtable side,we should be attacking a lot more.We play so called wing-backs but they very rarely make it into the attacking third,and they have no one to overlap or interchange with anyway.

I would prefur to see a 4-4-2.especially at home.

I would play Bastian as a conventional Left-Back,with Allen or Campbell at rightback.Infact both of them on the righthand side of the pitch could be effective.

Nyman deserves a start on the wing.

LS, as Father Jack said a good post, was not at last nights game but totally agree re: Jones, Nyman, Campbell & Allen both on the right the 4 4 2 etc etc, but again it seems a trait of this season that we dont understand certain teams put out or their formations, but hey ho another 3 points much welcome.