Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Wombles vs Urchins

Mitchurchin

A lovely pitch and a very busy ground greeted our brave lads, a hundred or so urchins looking on, singing their collective hearts out for the lads and the mentor, Harry.

First ten minutes was all urchins, the Wombles seemed to be half asleep, albeit that we didn't have any clear cut chances. Then the Wombles started to press us, and with what appeared to be a 5 - 3 - 2 formation the pressure started to tell on the defence, yet still nothing clear cut.

Then their number 11 picked up the ball, cut in from the left and curled the ball into the goal of Dales left hand post. 1-0.

That's how it remained at half and full time. To be fair the wombles played some good football, nice 1 - 2's good pass and move stuff and created a few more chances which they proceded to hoof over the bar or for Dale to save.

We had maybe two chances as the two Dons centre backs soaked up the pressure pretty well. Sadly, I would say due to our lackings in centre mid (injury to Garry Cross again) we played long again and it was too easy for the dons to deal with.

Saying that, bearing in mind the difficulties we had, I thought we gave a decent enough showing, Ollie was superb on his return, Purds was resolute as ever and in general our two full backs dealt with their wing play which was pretty good. So all in all, a fair result on the day and some pluses.

Final word: What a superb performance by the urchins massive, totally outsung the Dons in spite of their massive numerical supremacy. Brilliant stuff chaps and chapesses.

Crowd 2500.

I was a little disappointed with you lot, although I understand you have a few out injured. We rarely looked threatened - our right back Luke Garrard played the whole of the second half in goal due to Andy Little breaking a finger, but didn't have a lot to do (thankfully!). I was surprised your midfield/forwards didn't take more pot shots in the second half to test him.

Our only problem is still not putting away chances (not that we had too many ourselves).

Good support from your lot, including pre-match in the main bar!

AFC Wimbledon did play some very good football today and that was most annoying in the second half as our back wingers were beaten time and time again through long balls that fell nicely to their wingers. They seem to have got some form going and we did well to keep the scoreline respectable today.

But I enjoyed a different kind of game today for many reasons and well done to all fans who made the effort today.