Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Truro City - hang in there

Top Cat

EE. To insist that a club has a capacity, and is capable of catering for 5-6-7 times its usual number at the drop of a hat is ludicrous.

If on the odd occasion, once in a blue moon, we have to turn away (500, Never happened in the 8 years I've been there, infatc, we have never filled the ground in that time either) then so be it.

Look, If a club has a year in, year out average of 500, and can operate both financially and safely with a capacity of three times that. (Which give's it plenty of scope for growth and improvement, ) why is it made to have a capacity, and all the associated costs, of a 3000 capacity?

Rick, its a good question, the leagues would answer that the grading criteria is set by the FA and they are merely applying the rules, and to a certain extent that is true, but I have first hand knowledge of such things and I can say that the league do have a big influence of whats what, and they also have a flexability when awarding a grading.

So, back to the point, well one of the points, there are many reasons a club might get into financial difficulty, massively overspending on players certainly is one reason, but there are lots other factors that are hurting non-league at this time.

EE. To insist that a club has a capacity, and is capable of catering for 5-6-7 times its usual number at the drop of a hat is ludicrous.

If on the odd occasion, once in a blue moon, we have to turn away (500, Never happened in the 8 years I've been there, infatc, we have never filled the ground in that time either) then so be it.

Look, If a club has a year in, year out average of 500, and can operate both financially and safely with a capacity of three times that. (Which give's it plenty of scope for growth and improvement, ) why is it made to have a capacity, and all the associated costs, of a 3000 capacity?

Rick, its a good question, the leagues would answer that the grading criteria is set by the FA and they are merely applying the rules, and to a certain extent that is true, but I have first hand knowledge of such things and I can say that the league do have a big influence of whats what, and they also have a flexability when awarding a grading.

So, back to the point, well one of the points, there are many reasons a club might get into financial difficulty, massively overspending on players certainly is one reason, but there are lots other factors that are hurting non-league at this time.

Also, if a match is played in a stadium with less than say 20% capacity there would be less atmosphere, which is also counterproductive. Much better for grounds to be assessed on quality rather than quantity surely.

Just read that Braintree get £63k for their next FA Cuo Tie being on TV. That'll fund a chunk of ground improvements!

• 4 weeks later...

At a creditors meeting the girlfriend of the bankrupt former chairman claims Truro City owe her just over one million squids, but "refuses to say why".

That all seems tickety-boo then!

At last...A debate worthy of this forum. And gues what? I find myself trying to put my thoughts in place but there are so many threads I feel that my opinion and points clouded and complicated...

Those who take the time to read the programme know that the bones of this discussion are close to my heart. Apologies to those that may think my opinions short and burtal. Programme space is limited and therefore I find myself placing faith in the intelligence of those that read the article(s). And if that sounds patronising, I apologise. It is meant to be a compliment.

I agree so much with the community sentiment. Your local football club should be a part of the community (not the soul though...that would be one dimensional although there are those that choose that path...I have no arguement with that). And when a club goes and dies, the community suffers. At Non League level, I believe the "community" is so much more important a factor in the general health of the society of the area (for reasons too many too mention). It is a shame that those that govern and rule the sport we so love have appeared to have forgotten this.

Big buisness, big money, the chase of rewards (some quick, some not so quick) has left the sport with very little soul in my opinion. The caretakers of this thing that we all love to watch or take part in have sarificed the sport for the lure of rewards offered by sponsorhip and TV. It has certainly not undervalued it's bargaining power but it has led to a sense of misplaced morals and over reached itself in some cases as regards of governance, especially where it sits as regards the law of the land....

I almost have a "Orwellian" vision that, in time, we will have no Non League football and the sport itself will be a waste land of narrow minded support of two clubs. Wars have been fought for less...Over the top vision? Perhaps but I look at society and I see apathy from the majority and frustration from the few... There are those who do care but they are being worn down by the back handed (and behind the back) politicial wranglings of those in power. There are those that want to do and can do something about our sport...in fact we all can do something to reclaim it from those that govern the sport. We can start getting amougnst our community and promoting our respective clubs. Instead of football being the be all and end all, accept that we are a part of the community and intergrate with it. It's hard work for the few but if there are a lot more people that care as much as we all do, then perhaps a load shared is a lighter one to carry.

And one of the starts should be by making football, and I mean ALL football, kick off at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon and sod the TV rights. Lets get people unstuck from their TV, get them out of their houses and down to a football club close to where they live.

And for those clubs that are facing closure (for whatever reason....)...shame on the FA for letting the sport accept this, as what is becoming a normal set of affairs. I suppse the ONLY time our so called governing body (for the WHOLE of football in the UK, don't forget) will get involved is if Manchester United or Chelsea go down the same route....

Someone should remind the FA that football was the "people's sport" and the people are not the multi millionaire business men (or football players for that fact) but ordinary "joes" like you and me.

(Guys, this is just one thought that I had....Now I am quite angry...should've left this alone!!!)

Edited by GazzaBTFC