Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The bigger picture

Nice to see Glenn Aitken staying sensible while other Conference clubs rush into full-time status...

Look here

Also, I hear that Adam Miller has made the latest England National Game XI squad - another reminder of players that we can't sign or keep because we can't outbid other clubs in our league.

I totally agree with the regionalisation of the game.

Not being funny, but only the die hards will goto chester in January or down to Exeter in February whereas a trip to more teams within 90mins would benefit those clubs and I am sure more fans from those clubs would travel away and hence more away support at our place. I dont think we will get the league restructured though , so lets look at it more realistically.

I agree the ground looks a mess inside and out. Can we not use the close season period to get some volunteers to sort something out. Areas I think need improving are

1) Get rid of that clock thing. Its falling apart , hasnt worked in donkeys years and is unattractive.

2) Try and seperate the burger stall and the Tea bar or at least sort out some kind of system to queue. Its bloddy annoying when I have me chips and cant get away as I have to battle through the tea bar queue.

3) Sort the hole out. Nuff said.

4) Get this club promoted to the public. Get people coming through the door using facilities available to us.

5) Could we not do a package of say Entry, Burger, Programme and a pint for £13 or so.

6) Schools. The future is in the schools. Cant we do some sort of scheme where we give out some voucher scheme and when the vouchers are redeemed , the school gets points and once they have x number of points they get a gift or somehting like footballs , afternoons coaching from player , ten free tickest and so on.

7) The wish list. An interesting concept. There is obviousley stuff the club needs from Stationary to paint to cones to balls etc..... Can we not have some interactive wish list where fans can donate this kit if they have it going spare at home or fancy dipping into their pockets.

Gravesend is going to grow massively in the next ten years and the football club has to decide now if it wants to be part of it.

how about a volunteer list with what ever thier particular trade is or at least what they can do even if its helping the other trades this would enable the club to get work done for only the cost of the materials and perhaps a few cups of tea

this will enable the fans to contribute effectivly towards the club but without the need of large amounts of cash

It does get frustrating when I read good suggestions being put forward by supporters on these forums, but see no actual signs of any of them being put into action by the club.

As Riverview said, Gravesend is going to change beyond all recognition in the coming years and it would be a shame if the clubs best chance of attracting new supporters were wasted only for potential fans to make the trip to The Valley or Priestfield.

The Supporters Trust did appeal for volunteers to help out at the ground during the summer months. I remember Jessica, in particular asking on several occasions for volunteers. It was put on The Forum as it was before the trust had their own website so any of us could see it.In the past I know supporters have answered the call for help. I can remember getting home from working in London one Tuesday and going to the ground to help shovel snow and ice from the pitch and guess what the match was cancelled - referee would not pass it as 'fit' but we had fun trying to get it ready. I think some people would be prepared to help but maybe haven't got the transport.

Vera's right. There were calls for volunteers for maintainence duties during the close season and a small band of folk did wonders in sprucing the place up. However, when tackling things like the Plough End roof, you start getting into the realms of scaffolding, Health & Safety regs, risk assessments and so on. Also, we attended all the summer reggattas with a stall (which is being vastly improved for this year) which raised our profile a little to the general non-football going public. Ideas are great but without the volunteers to put them into practise, they will stay ideas.

The hardcore loyal support I reckon is made up of Scarfers who drop a lot of things to attend the Fleet. They are a small minority. The fact is they would have attracted more fans by now but they haven't.

They give everything but get little back.

You need more Casual Fans to attend Home Games. To do this you need to modernise and get away from the quaint little friendly non-pro Club. This needs money which if applied the right way then this breeds success and attracts more Casual Fans, who will marvel at the transformation of both Ground, Pitch, stadium and Team. And be at home with fellow Casual Fans.

This is not a criticism, rather a glowing reference to the hard work of the Scarfers, Board, Team and Manager. But to bring in larger Crowds you need to modernise, Casual Fans want to converse with other Casual Fans in the right environment.

Doesn't this thread appear in different guises every month or so?

The idea's are good ones and focus on ways of promoting the Club to the wider Gravesham pubic by targetting the local schools; placing bigger and better adverts in the local press; improving the look and feel of the ground etc. etc.

On the other hand the Chief Exec is quoted in this weeks KentOnline, with reference to going full-time:

"To do so, we estimate that we would have to increase our annual income to £250,000. To help that we would require an increase in home attendances to 2,500 or 3,000."

I'm not intentionally knocking anyone who runs the Club but do they not read the idea's put forward on this messageboard? To improve the fanbase these idea's need to be acted upon and the initiative for such idea's has to come from the Club itself.

Many fans with idea's may feel their idea's are "un-welcome" if they stroll into the office on matchday and put forward initiatives to Club Officials.

On the other hand more people might come forward if the Club said "Look . . . if you the fan's have any idea's how we can move a step closer to full time status then why not drop into the office and run them past us".

Agree that this topic gets dug up when the football side is quite and, to be fair some good ideas come forward. And that's the problem they stay on the forum.

The Fleet Trust has asked many times for people with ideas to promote the club to come forward. Thanks to Vera and John who both remembered my posts last year asking for volunteers, sadly this also feel on deaf ears. Just about eight of us gave up almost every weekend and some evenings, to work non-stop in cleaning and making good. Simply painting the wall around the pitch was no easy job.

It is no good anyone talking, talking never got anything done. Its actions that count. Don't expect someone else to

always take on your good idea, why not try and do something yourself.

Our wonderful mascot got on with it, and hey presto, we have a mascot. Not rocket science is it.

Sadly as has been posted the main band will support GNFC come what may its new blood we need, more people through the turnstiles and would agree that the Club must also get involved in this.

If you have a good idea, come along and chat about it, if you do not want to talk direct to the Club come to the Trust Hut any home match and we can discuss and perhaps the Trust can take it on or help progress it.

As I said earlier the Trust board are always looking for new ideas. If we all get involved , surely something must progress.

Perhaps we should take the recent Pledge scheme as an example. People will help they just need to be focused and understand exactly what they have to do.

Just another idea, can each person who attends home matches be given a voucher each time, and say every time you collect 3 on the trot a half price entry next game, the regulars will come regardless but by having this voucher it would mean an extra admission into the game.That in turn would be more money spent on programs , more money in the club house, burger bar etc.

Quote:
mightymole said:
after reading all posts on here that we need more people through the turnstyle AND outside income flet fanatice metioned arriva how about the south eastern train company? as most fans use the trains.

flet fanatice???

I always thought I had a dyslexic brother.

Unfortunately it was like getting blood out of a stone from connex when it came to money - even harder at the moment now it's under the SRA & they are penny pinching over the slightest item. There's no chance of sponsorship from them.

At best we'd be able to display posters or agree to people dishing out flyers at Gravesend station.

A couple of points for this much repeated thread :

I'm a believer that the hierarchy of English football is more or less determined . Occasionally clubs like Wimbledon or Rushden break the mould and go up or clubs , like most of the full time clubs in the conference , go down .

We are at the pinnacle of part-time football , fighting above our historic weight , enjoy it .

Secondly Andy needs to continue to be the Dario Gradi of the non-league game . The Beast and Skinny boy were sold for a handsome profit . Dukebox and others hold their own at this level . Players on the way up normally give a bit more than players dropping down .Also there are far more players playing their football below the Conference than above .

Quote:
The hardcore loyal support I reckon is made up of Scarfers who drop a lot of things to attend the Fleet. They are a small minority.

Not all loyal supporters are scarfers.

Only missed a handful of games home & away and I don't think I fit the scarfer typecast.

we are out there we just need more of us.

But like the comments on this thread it is easy to talk the talk,but not walk the walk.

If you want like minded fans to attend games, then you have attend keep attending and spreading the word.

we need leadership and courageness to shed the image that most people have of the anoraked Fleet fan.

A few Lads have come to the occasional game, I would go more but its a struggle to convince Lads to come down.

Good to see someone like minded like yourself.

Have noted earlier posts noting your loyalty to the Fleet, and inferred that your not a Scarfer.

Nothing wrong with Scarfers mind, good loyal Fans.